Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Just now, Mouseboy11 said:

I've come to the conclusion it's fairly safe to assume these Springsteen die hards have never have and never will have sexual intercourse.

Similar to any attendee at a King Gizz show.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

To bring this thread back on topic, in 1997 I was 4th in the queue for Radiohead in Dublin. Joined it at 8.30am. The surge of the crowd during 2nd tune (My Iron Lung?) had me arms-out holding back people to give space to Mrs/sister(s)... a scene to which Thommy Y gave me a wry smile.

:lol: Mad that you mentioned that gig as I actually stumbled across this on YouTube today. Quality is shite of course but what a gig! Slap bang in the middle of my leaving cert, Lions beat the Boks that day, Massive Attack supported and Radiohead blew it away. What a day. And to think that crowd was the inspiration for HTDC!

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

People leaving a gig in Glasgow 10 songs in and driving down to Coventry for a gig two days later so they can be number 1 in the queue.

They form an unofficial queue and write numbers on people hands and enter in that order. So number 1 gets front and centre at the rail. 

They're total c**ts.

I'm definitely aware of muse gigs and lady gaga gigs doing the same as the latter point so I dont think it's that uncommon. The first part is fucking stupid though

13 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

:lol: Mad that you mentioned that gig as I actually stumbled across this on YouTube today. Quality is shite of course but what a gig! Slap bang in the middle of my leaving cert, Lions beat the Boks that day, Massive Attack supported and Radiohead blew it away. What a day. And to think that crowd was the inspiration for HTDC!

It was a 10/10 gig man. Ive brilliant memories of the day.  Teenage Fanclub were great that day also.

Haven't had chance to log in today. But in terms of last night atmosphere not patch on Glastonbury but I had much better spot in front standing . Sound was great where I was . Thom was on great form it was a brilliant night . The bends totally unexpected.  Glad I got there handy no major queing . 

I've had the chance to process it a bit more now and the atmosphere definitely wasn't as special as Glastonbury, but I think I actually enjoyed the whole thing more. The whole night was just incredible. The crowd wasn't quite as in to every song as at Glastonbury (at least where I was stood for both shows), but the sing alongs were arguably bigger last night. I prefered the Manchester setlist, opening with Let Down will go down in RH history, seeing I Promise and The Bends, where we were stood and the view we had, getting lashed on extortionately overpriced wine...I thought it took the crowd about 5-6 songs to realy get in to it, but aside from that it was about as perfect as I could ask for.

Switch Bloom for Reckoner and I probably wouldn't be alive to write this review. In two weeks Radiohead have put on two of the greatest shows I've ever seen. It will be sad to see them go away for a while, but in some ways I hope this is it for them because they couldn't really go out on a higher note.

Just now, jparx said:

It will be sad to see them go away for a while, but in some ways I hope this is it for them because they couldn't really go out on a higher note.

Don't ever say that again!

Gonna be shit not being able to nerd out over setlists and the prospect of them playing Glastonbury for the longest time now after the next couple of shows. Sure will miss this thread when it inevitably starts slipping off the front page and in to the forum graveyard. 

Can't believe I saw them three times on this tour and not once did they play Reckoner or HTDC. Sort it out lads. See you in a few years!

I think they've timed it well for us, they're going away for a bit at a time when we're getting new LCD, Arcade Fire, The National, QOTSA etc so gives us more time to geek out over them.

It's Will I feel sorry for, not sure what he'll do next year since he can't predict Radiohead setlists or Glastonbury lineups.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think they've timed it well for us, they're going away for a bit at a time when we're getting new LCD, Arcade Fire, The National, QOTSA etc so gives us more time to geek out over them.

It's Will I feel sorry for, not sure what he'll do next year since he can't predict Radiohead setlists or Glastonbury lineups.

New Muse record coming, he'll be fine

DIG DOOOOWN

It has been a bit of a shame about the repetitive set lists but they've been so good it doesn't even matter that much. Turns out repeating the likes of FPT, Let Down and 2+2=5 night on night stands up better than repeating The Gloaming, Magpie and Give up the Ghost. Who knew?

Hoping for a bit of a switch up in Glasgow. National Anthem, Videotape, Reckoner would be most welcome. HTDC back in the setlist would be lovely but not holding my breath. 

And then...no more Radiohead for a while! I'm hoping for something in the mood of In Rainbows on the next record, even if it sounds different. The last few years have clearly been difficult for Thom but he seems to be in a better place now, and I think post Kid A some of their best stuff has been a little more upbeat. Hoping for a proper European tour we can really get our teeth into rather than all these festivals and outdoor shows. 

Still, I think 2020 is a realistic timeframe for the next album. Which means by the time the next Glasto rolls around this thread will probably be alive with speculation! Since they'll be drawing almost entirely on new songs, maybe a road test tour could be in the offing? 

Where do we go from here?

Edited by arcade fireman

1 minute ago, arcade fireman said:

Still, I think 2020 is a realistic timeframe for the next album. Which means by the time the next Glasto rolls around this thread will probably be alive with speculation! Since they'll be drawing almost entirely on new songs, maybe a road test tour could be in the offing? 

Seems like they really cleared out the closets with the releases of AMSP and OKNOTOK - whole bunch of fabled old/unreleased material finally put out there. Far too soon to be speculating about it but seems pretty exciting for them to be (kind of) starting from scratch.

Would take a road test tour, although I can also easily see them not doing that and just working on their own things for a while. Not sure we'll get any shows until the album's out.

36 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Hoping for a bit of a switch up in Glasgow. National Anthem, Videotape, Reckoner would be most welcome. HTDC back in the setlist would be lovely but not holding my breath. 

I reckon you'll have a good chance of getting The National Anthem - apparently it was on the setlist last night but they switched to The Bends

42 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

It has been a bit of a shame about the repetitive set lists but they've been so good it doesn't even matter that much. Turns out repeating the likes of FPT, Let Down and 2+2=5 night on night stands up better than repeating The Gloaming, Magpie and Give up the Ghost. Who knew?

Oi!

38 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Seems like they really cleared out the closets with the releases of AMSP and OKNOTOK - whole bunch of fabled old/unreleased material finally put out there. Far too soon to be speculating about it but seems pretty exciting for them to be (kind of) starting from scratch.

Would take a road test tour, although I can also easily see them not doing that and just working on their own things for a while. Not sure we'll get any shows until the album's out.

Be interesting to see what Jonny and Thom play at their gig in Italy. I'm guessing Thom's been writing some songs over the last year or so. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Switch Bloom for Reckoner and I probably wouldn't be alive to write this review.

This. Reckoner instead of Bloom and it would have been almost* perfect.

*Perfect would have been them playing their entire back catalogue...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Is Reckoner some high-wire act song for them? Seems odd that their best tune isn't played regularly.

Yeah not really getting it's rarity this time round - before the AMSP tour started I'd always assumed it'd be a near guaranteed staple as it has been since it's release. Maybe they're just not feeling playing it live.

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Is Reckoner some high-wire act song for them? Seems odd that their best tune isn't played regularly.

Nah, they played it every show pretty much on the King of Limbs tour and before that too. Maybe they're just a bit sick of it and if they played it every show still, it'd come off that way on stage. 

I really hope the guy who had the "play the fucking bends" flag was at that gig last night! I think 2020 is a bit soon for a new album based on recent trends, especially if they cleared out the closet with AMSP and OKNOTOK. But who knows, maybe Thom's been writing bits and pieces on this tour. The prospect of them recording live like they did for In Rainbows and Ok Computer is exciting. The Glasto gig satisfied my Radiohead needs for now so I'm not too upset at the prospect of them dropping off the radar for a few years. The future is certainly looking brighter now than it was at the beginning of this tour when it was looking unlikely there'd be another album.

I have to say I've really enjoyed the ups and downs of this thread over the last 2 years and I'll be sad to see it fade into the annals of efestivals.

• Upvote 2