Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

11 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Rolling Stones were my previous top Glasto headliner but Radiohead have displaced them. The Stones were amazing but still some way off their prime, however high that was. This was Radiohead still at the top of their game - for me that made the difference. Plus the sheer variety in the set. 

Yeah that's a fair point. But you could say the same about macca and bowie really and I'd have them over radiohead.... But I do agree that Rolling Stones were just a touch short of the very best.

These discussions about these superstar acts make you realise just how lucky we've been over the years!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Nope but curfew is 23:55 and they have a full set so I reckon they'll be on about 21:15 and get two and a half hours. Should be dark for most of the set hopefully. 

While we're on the Glasgow gig, you can get half price tickets for it on resale websites if anything fancies it.

I'm guessing Belle and Sebastian will get an hour from around 7.30pm with Radiohead on at 9pm. Weather looking good :-)

49 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah that's a fair point. But you could say the same about macca and bowie really and I'd have them over radiohead.... But I do agree that Rolling Stones were just a touch short of the very best.

These discussions about these superstar acts make you realise just how lucky we've been over the years!

I loved Macca - he was in my top 10 Glasto acts (I made a thread on here to list top 20 Glasto sets last week so I know!) but give me a full band playing their own songs over one half of admittedly the greatest double act of all time performing the bands songs. 

Bowie may well have been different, unfortunately wasn't there! 

2 hours ago, glastobuds said:

Re Manchester - I'm staying in the Travelodge at Sale and thinking of getting the bus to the show. Are the buses to and from pretty regular at 11 pm or should I drive and park? Also what's the food and drink options like inside the ground? Sorry for the questions - never been to Manchester before! 

Get the tram from Sale - less than 10 minute walk from where you are staying.  Will take you straight there to the door in under 20 mins (get off at old Trafford). 

I wouldnt drive. V easy to get the tram back as well.

See you there..

3 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Nope but curfew is 23:55 and they have a full set so I reckon they'll be on about 21:15 and get two and a half hours. Should be dark for most of the set hopefully. 

That feels.......pretty late, no?  Particularly for the city centre.  I'd have expected them to be offstage by 11pm.

I need to be on the 11.30pm train home regardless.

16 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I loved Macca - he was in my top 10 Glasto acts (I made a thread on here to list top 20 Glasto sets last week so I know!) but give me a full band playing their own songs over one half of admittedly the greatest double act of all time performing the bands songs. 

Bowie may well have been different, unfortunately wasn't there! 

Yeah macca was as much about the occasion as the music. A beatle on the pyramid stage! But it was well ace too. It felt like him doing a festival was special (had he done loads of others by then? I've no idea. I wasn't as obsessive about such matters back then!)

Truth is I can't really remember much at all about bowie, but I've played the bootleg 100000 times. REM were brill in 1999 too, but it's way too long ago to be certain, so it's hard to rank.

19 minutes ago, Oldredeyes said:

Get the tram from Sale - less than 10 minute walk from where you are staying.  Will take you straight there to the door in under 20 mins (get off at old Trafford). 

I wouldnt drive. V easy to get the tram back as well.

See you there..

Cheers!

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That feels.......pretty late, no?  Particularly for the city centre.  I'd have expected them to be offstage by 11pm.

I need to be on the 11.30pm train home regardless.

I guess so yeah but weird to have a much later curfew for that night and still finish it at a similar time to the other nights.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Holy Trinity of Glasto headline sets remains Blur, Macca, Stones for me. I'd place Radiohead just underneath those three.

The sheer joy and spectacle of Stevie's performance also in this mixer for me.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That Blur set was just utterly joyous. Best coming together of band and crowd I've ever been a part of.

I know this won't go down well on here, but that's why Coldplay 2016 is possibly still my favourite Glasto set, despite how great Radiohead were. Utterly joyous, as you nicely put it.

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That Blur set was just utterly joyous. Best coming together of band and crowd I've ever been a part of.

Still the worst Glasto clash decision I've ever made, plumping for Prodigy over Blur. It genuinely pains me. 

19 hours ago, russycarps said:

Best Glastonbury set since portishead for me. Right down the front, surrounded by friends, tripping our tits off and feeling like we were part of something monumental. 

I've seen the hattrick of radiohead headline sets and this was as good as any of them. Set list wise the best bar none.

Thank the gods they pulled it off, or my depression at skipping the lips would have been off the scale.

Life affirming stuff.

What made you shoot for Radiohead over The Lips in the end? Thought you were dead set on them. 

12 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What made you shoot for Radiohead over The Lips in the end? Thought you were dead set on them. 

I was going to see the start of radiohead then head over to the lips on my own, but we had a great spot down the front, the whole group were together and we were all in a nice place drugswise. It was impossible to leave.

Not to mention the radiohead set was utterly mesmerising from the off.

I've seen the lips set on the bbc and luckily it doesn't come across that well (tv recordings are never kind to Wayne's voice) so that softened the blow. But I know that live it was probably a better experience than the radiohead set. I'm trying not to dwell on it...

Did you see the lips?

54 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I was going to see the start of radiohead then head over to the lips on my own, but we had a great spot down the front, the whole group were together and we were all in a nice place drugswise. It was impossible to leave.

Not to mention the radiohead set was utterly mesmerising from the off.

I've seen the lips set on the bbc and luckily it doesn't come across that well (tv recordings are never kind to Wayne's voice) so that softened the blow. But I know that live it was probably a better experience than the radiohead set. I'm trying not to dwell on it...

Did you see the lips?

No I saw Radiohead too. Was the worst possible clash for me but I knew from the moment Radiohead were announced nothing could keep me away. 

Definitely the best set I've ever seen on The Pyramid. Going to watch it in full again tomorrow. 

I started to watch The Lips set on iplayer earlier, as you said, it didn't come across great. I don't think anything on The Park coverage did to be honest. I'm hoping for a few more dates announced later in the year as I can't make these next few gigs they have. Slim chance I know. 

34 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

My Iron Lung, All I Need, Videotape all been played tonight

Seems like they're getting all the lesser played tracks out tonight after several hits sets in a row. I'd be very happy if they did a set like that at TRNSMT next wee tbh.