Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Oh btw I take back everything I've ever said about Everything in it's Right Place and how I'm not arsed about it. It was fantastic. Maybe the drugs helped.

I would agree. We always seem to go to the same stuff at the G mate. EIIRP was spinetingling.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan and I've gotta say, I was a bit disappointed with their performance when I was there. I've seen them live 7 times and I reckon that's the worst I've ever seen them live. I did enjoy it but I just thought they'd have been better. Wether that was due to the poor visuals (no band on the screens), me being too far back in the crowd or simply just being a bit too fucked I don't know. My mate sent me a text from home saying they looked fantastic on the TV, I replied saying that they were "OK" next morning I replied with my revision that I just didn't think they were very good at all.

Fast forward to now.

I'm sat at home listening to their set on iPlayer, I'm about half way through and have had tears streaming down my face numerous times at just how good they really are/were. Just goes to show I suppose how perceptions on the night can be a bit skewed. In hindsight I feel honoured to have been there to share that night with all the others to witness the greatest band in the world.

Love and peace.

Massively underestimated the density of the crowd ahead of the sound desk and got there much too late. Fought our way through to a decent distance but by the time it started it became obvious that my girlfriend wouldn't be able to see anything of the stage and would have to rely on the screens for a view. When we accepted that the screens weren't actually going to be showing the band, she lost focus, had nothing to direct her attention to and got hyperaware of how little space there was for us to move and I had to pull her out about 5 songs in. A couple of people were total c***s to her, shouting in her face and refusing to let her through. When we eventually got out and made our way up the hill she was in floods of tears, convinced she'd ruined what was supposed to have been a really special night for us. 

Up the hill, we had no fun. Couldn't see anything but flags, lights and those awful screens. Utterly miserable. We called it after the main set and had a really sad trek up to the Park for the end of Flaming Lips, which went some way in cheering us up. 

Heartbroken, but I mostly blame myself. Should've planned more carefully. Should've been there earlier. Should've got her to the barrier earlier in the day. We got over it as Friday night wore on but it'll always feel like the one that got away. So, whose decision would it have been to not actually show the BBC stream on the screens?

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm well confused about this ticket nonsense. I didn't complete the survey, but when I contacted them they confirmed I had been allocated front standing tickets. Not sure what's going on.

What do you mean by the survey? I think what other people mean is just the standard form to say whether you want to keep your tickets, that was hosted on surveymonkey. Did you complete that? Or did you leave it and want your tickets refunded?

3 minutes ago, Chawk said:

What do you mean by the survey? I think what other people mean is just the standard form to say whether you want to keep your tickets, that was hosted on surveymonkey. Did you complete that? Or did you leave it and want your tickets refunded?

Think that's what he's talking about - a few others seem to have not filled it in in order to get a refund but have been allocated tickets anyway for some reason. Whole thing seems like a bit of a mess. I filled it in wanting tickets but am slightly worried that it's gonna fuck up and I get a refund instead.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Watching back their set so soon after the festival and with the Glastonbury blues still in tow was a mistake - can hardly see the screen for the tears in my eyes. Goddamn you Radiohead you magnificent bastards.

I literally can't bring myself to watch fake plastic trees

2 hours ago, liamium said:

Massively underestimated the density of the crowd ahead of the sound desk and got there much too late. Fought our way through to a decent distance but by the time it started it became obvious that my girlfriend wouldn't be able to see anything of the stage and would have to rely on the screens for a view. When we accepted that the screens weren't actually going to be showing the band, she lost focus, had nothing to direct her attention to and got hyperaware of how little space there was for us to move and I had to pull her out about 5 songs in. A couple of people were total c***s to her, shouting in her face and refusing to let her through. When we eventually got out and made our way up the hill she was in floods of tears, convinced she'd ruined what was supposed to have been a really special night for us. 

Up the hill, we had no fun. Couldn't see anything but flags, lights and those awful screens. Utterly miserable. We called it after the main set and had a really sad trek up to the Park for the end of Flaming Lips, which went some way in cheering us up. 

Heartbroken, but I mostly blame myself. Should've planned more carefully. Should've been there earlier. Should've got her to the barrier earlier in the day. We got over it as Friday night wore on but it'll always feel like the one that got away. So, whose decision would it have been to not actually show the BBC stream on the screens?

This sucks, especially folk treating her like that - though it seems obvious if you're pushing through crowds at that set people aren't going to like it. 

The screens never did automatically show the BBC feed, they show what the band want them to - sometimes that's just the standard cameras around, sometimes plus effects, sometimes just odd stuff. The flag thing is maddening isn't it but sadly there are a LOT of people going now who aren't really bothered about seeing the acts.

You don't need to arrive all that much earlier though - we got in during the hour before they started just fine. Just a wee bit more planning - at worst missing an act elsewhere just before to get there at changeover and you'd be fine. Taking tiny people down front in a hugely busy headliner set is a squiffy one though, gotta think of them first and choose somewhere further back to start with so they can have a chance to see

Do the large screens typically display what the BBC are showing? I watched the Katy Perry set last night and I'm sure there was slightly different footage shown.  Maybe I'm being confused as I had a perfectly good view without the screen so could be remembering things wrong.

5 minutes ago, cloudb said:

Do the large screens typically display what the BBC are showing?

No.

I suspect at manchester there'll be no flags and everyone will be able to see the stage and the HUGE screen behind them so it'll be fine, don't sweat it. 
View back at non-flag radiohead gig and everyone can see the stage:

radiohead-crowd-1162-3.jpg

or o2 arena

dscf3918.jpg

You'll see fine

It's going to take me a few more weeks to have the strength to watch the full set back on iPlayer. I'm so glad so many on here enjoyed it, the crowd was a massive part of why the night was so fucking special. I've never been so happy when those first notes of Fake Plastic Trees were played. 

Was front right near the pit barrier. Sound was great were I was. Banging out Lucky in slot 2 and then Airbag in Slot 4 was brilliant. I could see how some of the more casual fans may have found it a bit "meh" at times, but, considering that they have 9 albums and only played 25 songs, Im thinking it was a set that was only 4/5 tunes away from utter perfection. So in reality, thats as good as it gets with Radiohead.

Top highlights for me were No Surprises and Fake Plastic Trees. Both delivered wrapped in beauty. 

To have Exit Music and Let Down on the same set hurts my brain thinking about it (the noise coming out of Johnny's guitar during Exit was unreal!)

I also loved the reactive visuals for Everything In Its Right Place, but their use of screens was very poor for such a large field IMO. It did not effect my experience, as I could see and hear pretty much everything from where I was, but the full gig without any proper camera work shown was something that disconnected them from those in the field and so I found that to be a bad decision on their behalf.

Overall top work from them and set list wise very near perfection 

Edited by ThomThomDrum
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Ahh, well I filled in that. I thought they meant they survey it took you too once you conpleted the form. I submitted the form requesting tickets yeah.

If they form just took you to a "your request has been approved and you will receive confirmation in a week or two" there wouldn't be this panic!

40 minutes ago, Chawk said:

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think that's what he's talking about - a few others seem to have not filled it in in order to get a refund but have been allocated tickets anyway for some reason. Whole thing seems like a bit of a mess. I filled it in wanting tickets but am slightly worried that it's gonna fuck up and I get a refund instead.

Nah once you filled in that form it redirected you to some survey for some reason instead of coming up with any kind of confirmation of whether your request had gone through. I started doing the survey but couldn't understand it at all and had no idea what I was supposed to do so I closed it. Now with someone on the previous page saying his tickets have been cancelled because he didn't complete the survey I don't think any of us know what's going on.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Nah once you filled in that form it redirected you to some survey for some reason instead of coming up with any kind of confirmation of whether your request had gone through. I started doing the survey but couldn't understand it at all and had no idea what I was supposed to do so I closed it. Now with someone on the previous page saying his tickets have been cancelled because he didn't complete the survey I don't think any of us know what's going on.

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Nah, that's just what you're redirected to after completing anything on surveymonkey. It didn't have anything to do with the Radiohead form or whether you keep tickets.

I'm guessing the guy on the other page meant the actual form hosted on surveymonkey. 

Edited by Chawk

3 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Nah, that's just what you're redirected to after completing anything on surveymonkey. It didn't have anything to do with the Radiohead form or whether you keep tickets.

Oh, well from what @Ipayne was saying yesterday his tickets appear to have been refunded because he didn't complete it. Maybe his form for tickets just didn't go through properly or something.

Hi all, I'm a freelance vision mixer and director and work regularly on big event screens (never Glastonbury sadly). Just to clear up the queries about the screens. As has already been mentioned some bands tour with their own screen mixers and will have a range of pre-configured effects and visuals such as Radiohead used. Their effects specifically took multi feeds from a number of cameras and split mixed them into that visual you all (struggled) to see, mixed in with various other visual effect packages.

Most of the coverage you see on the screens however is taken from the numerous camera feeds supplied by freelance camera ops around the stages, these guys are taking instruction via talkback from either the BBC production crew or which ever third party production company the BBC are using. Pictures are sent back to a master processor unit and a mixed either locally (production truck) or remotely (via high speed link) by the BBC for broadcast.

Working independently to that will be a local vision mixer usually at a desk on the sound stage. They'll use the same camera feeds as the BBC split out from the same master processor but will not have access to the camera ops (they maybe included in talkback so can listen in to the bbc director but i doubt it as thats pretty rare). This is why you see so many iffy shots where cams are being repositioned or cut away unexpectedly because the local screen mixer is unaware of what the BBC director is telling the camera ops to do. So mainly they are just switching in the dark essentially reacting to the best of their ability from the camera shots available to them without ever really knowing whats coming next.  

So anyway thats why the shots you see on the screen often differ to the ones you see on TV.  

Edited by Chronic Glastobator
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, liamium said:

Really feel for you mate, had a similar if not quite as bad experience.

My girlfriend and I were just in front of left sound desk. The screens not showing the band and the lack of Bends banger early on meant casuals round us lost interest. When Exit Music started up one a guy to my left shouted "for fucks sake just play the hits, this is self-indulgent bullshit". When him and his friends finally recognised a song they took their tops off and whirled them round their heads.. 

I managed to still enjoy it, aside from them not playing Reckoner it was pretty much the ideal set-list for me and there were some other big fans round us who made the second half pretty special - I was pretty choked up when a guy in front of me called his mum during Fake Plastic Trees, it turned out she'd taken him to the 2003 set when he was 14 and got him into Radiohead. 

I really can't fathom the screens decision. Not being able to see the band playing or see Thom while he was talking made it really hard to feel involved. If I could do it again I'd go for the pit (which would mean going solo as my girlfriend would have hated being that rammed in), but I genuinely think that if they'd shown TV feed on the side screens it would have meant those further back would have had a somewhat similar experience to those at the front. 

Just to clarify guys, I filled in the form (which is what I meant by survey, sorry) and it redirected me back to waste and that was that. However, I emailed them on Monday and they responded yesterday saying that their data showed that I hadn't responded therefore the tickets had been cancelled! It must have been some error with it going through