Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

The screens, if we're honest, are an issue here because of the amount of fucking flags really.

It means that if you're not feeling in the mood to shove your way to the front you can't actually see the figures on stage, so people rely on the screens a lot more than at any other gig.

It was fucking ridiculous. Can't work out if it tops LCD for me but fuck me it was amazing. Where I was stood everyone was loving it and obviously as a huge fan I was very familiar with all the songs but I get why casuals may have been a little bored at the start.

Bit confused by comments about them not playing the hits. They played Paranoid Android, Karma Police, No Surprises, Creep, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Everything in its Right Place, Idioteque, There There, 2+2=5. What more could they have done other than play Just and maybe one or two other tracks from The Bends? I agree with others that the order could have been better, though, and the casuals could have been given a hit or two early on.

Let Down and 2+2=5 were the big highlights for me at the time but having just watched it back on TV Fake Plastic Trees sounded like the best song of the night. Did an accidental little cry during Street Spirit.

Also based on my re-watch just now I can see why casuals may have been put off early on. My dad watched the first 20 mins and said it was crap. Gonna try to show him the end of the gig because I feel like he's gonna bail on the Manchester gig based on what he watched.

Anyway, yeah, best I've seen them and blew my expectations out of the water. Everyone I was with thought it was amazing, including a couple of casuals who said it was the best set they'd seen all weekend, one of them saying how they just made nailing Glastonbury seem so easy.

Not really a Radiohead fan. Only album I've got is Bends but done some last minute revision on Spotify over past few months. But still didn't know what to expect or if we'd even stick it out till the end. 

Well what a treat it was. Ideally placed for a great sound and was blown away by whole performance. The gig flew by. Such a surprise and one of the many highlights of the weekend.

Looking forward to watching it back on iplayer. 

• Upvote 2

Just finished. I'm glad watching it back was as awesome watching them in the field on Friday. Pretty much spellbound for the last hour and a half.

I get some of the criticism from the non-obsessives and I think the opening half-hour would have worked better in darkness.

I have never seen a better set of musicians and I don't think I ever will. From watching that, I don't know why, I don't think we'll ever see them perform together at Glastonbury again. Treasue it, folks.

17 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

From watching that, I don't know why, I don't think we'll ever see them perform together at Glastonbury again. Treasue it, folks.

Yeah even though they've denied breaking up any time soon (thank god) everything about this seemed like a 'one last Glastonbury hurrah' to me, from the greatest hits setlist to them seemingly putting everything in to it, and I don't see them sticking around for another 14 years to do it again.

Love to be proven wrong and they do it again somewhere down the line, but if not, what a perfect send off.

1 hour ago, evilduck said:

It was bloody perfect for me. We were behind a sound desk so we had great sound but could only see the screens, but we were all going so mental it didn't matter. Our Thom dancing was a sight to behold. 

I don't remember seeing Thom dancing on the screens. I don't remember seeing hardly any of Radiohead at all on the screens 

Guys just thought id drop in and say this was the best thing I have ever experienced. They were spellbinding from start to finish and anyone questioning that can shove it right up their fucking arse. 

I am so sorry if u were stood in my vicinity during Radiohead and I annoyed you with some excessive singing. I got very carried away and apologise if I was that long haired fat twat who wouldn't shut up during everything in its right place and the rest. 

Edited by T-Mouse
  • Upvote 1

After Bowie in 2000, this was the greatest set I've seen. Just perfect. It felt like a religious experience being that close, surrounded by thousands of other fans, clearly overwhelmed by the whole experience. I don't think anybody could believe the songs they were playing... sublime!

Even my wife, who is less than a causal listener, called them "geniuses" afterwards, she was so impressed. I'm glad I don't have to divorce her...

• Upvote 2

Got a response from Waste that my survey didn't go through properly and my tickets have been refunded for Manchester!! so so annoyed. I have to either wait until tomorrow to find out whether I can get an allocation for Front Standing tickets now or buy General admission (standing miles back), proper put a dampener on my excitement now

5 hours ago, donkeykong said:

They have them at every gig as far as I'm aware - certainly had the same setup in Oslo

Ugh. Well I've got front standing tickets for old Trafford, so if I'm early enough should get close to the stage. 

Incidentally does anybody know the support acts? 5pm doors...

What an amazing set. Had everything for me; got fairly 'Moshy' centre front for the last few and we were totally lost in it by then...there were tears :-)  did any one see Thom walking across the Park Stage Mound on Saturday? I looked up to see him and a couple of heavies walking towards me, he definitely wasn't up for chatting but did say hi when I just about managed to pathetically blurt out 'great gig last night Thom'. 

Gig of the weekend - did not disappoint in any way :D

And considering the high expectations that's quite a thing!

Singular best bit though? I think it was the end of Fake Plastic Trees and the utter silences between the lines of the refrain - only heard that big a drop to silence in the crowd before at Portishead - that was truly spine tingling 

For me Chic 2013 was the standard bearer for what a headline set at Glastonbury can be. On Friday eve Radiohead put something out there that redefined the standard.  The crowd, the set, the sound, everything was absolute perfection for me.  I walked with the group I was with to meet another afterwards and had the most enormous grin on my face for what must have been an hour afterwards - don't remember being on such a natural high.  As a result, the Silent Disco at the Park was also a very different experience on Fri Eve.  I remember World of Pure Imagination from the original Charlie & the Chocolate Factory playing there and just feeling tearfully joyous.  The rest of the weekend was incredible, with so many memorable sets, but looking back, Radiohead was a true once in a lifetimer.