Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

32 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Fuck. Me. Sideways. Recorded versions of Man of War, Lift and I Promise. I wonder if they're versions from the actual OKC sessions or...? There was that footage of them trying to record Man of War on the tour film and giving up. 

If they play OKC in full...  I may as well just apologise now for ejaculating on whoever the unlucky sod is standing in front of me in the crowd. 

But to hit them you'd need to have your co....

Ooo. 

Erm. 

:unsure:

Ben

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Hilariously cynical stuff from this crowd of utter frauds.

Lock in the Glasto headline date, guarantee a 4m viewership on the Beeb and then release a pointlessly remastered album that everyone already owns "containing 3 songs that were too shit to make the album initially" while bed wetters everywhere clamber over each other like fleeing penguins with fistfuls of cash.

They must laugh in private at how they get away with it all. 

As much a fanboi as I am, I'm inclined to agree.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
moved "as"

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Lock in the Glasto headline date, guarantee a 4m viewership on the Beeb and then release a pointlessly remastered album that everyone already owns "containing 3 songs that were too shit to make the album initially" while bed wetters everywhere clamber over each other like fleeing penguins with fistfuls of cash.

Spot on, really. Hail to the thieves.

16 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Spot on, really. Hail to the thieves.

its not a good look- no doubt Thom will say the record company did it and they had no control over it! I won't be impressed if these OK computer songs push out In Rainbow ones

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

You're not wrong.

Factor in that the last album featured a decent proportion of polished up old tracks, and they sold a deluxe edition of that with bits of tape they woulda thrown in the bin for £85. It was a good album but people can't wait to get it out of the set now. :lol:

Then the tours, barely any mileage but whopping prices. The badass attitude of ditching loved oldies from the set list for a forward looking trip is over. And now only a year on from the album and they're possibly rerouting the tour further down memory lane to push that they're gonna sell the album everyone's heard again.

Sad as it is, they've reached that point and appear to be a spent force.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You're not wrong.

Factor in that the last album featured a decent proportion of polished up old tracks, and they sold a deluxe edition of that with bits of tape they woulda thrown in the bin for £85. It was a good album but people can't wait to get it out of the set now. :lol:

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think that's because a lot of us have seen them in the last year and all those shows were very AMSP heavy. I don't think it's a reflection on the quality of the tracks but rather on how good their back catalogue is. 

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sad as it is, they've reached that point and appear to be a spent force.

that's just total rubbish :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

That's not the reason though is it. Are you really accusing the band who started the 'pay what you want' style album release as being mainly driven by money?

Nope I was saying I hope the suggestion that they've deliberately coincided the release date with a full album set will be wrong (which I think it will be)  

A full album set would be bad. Imagine Electioneering being played over How to Disappear Completely, Fitter Happier wasting a slot that an actual song could have taken, SHA and The Tourist (I know some of you rate these highly but I don't) beating out Weird Fishes and 2+2=5. Shite.

OK Computer getting a decent airing would be fine; something like them playing all the OKC songs that are in rotation (Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Let Down, Karma Police, No Surprises, Climbing up the Walls, Lucky) would be okay with me. As long as they don't also carry on playing as many AMSP tracks as they currently are as well.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

You really going to call the band that released 'Burn the Witch' a year ago tomorrow a 'spent force'? Come on.

Good tune undeniably, but they had it kicking around for twenty years. Adds to the feeling that AMSP is the Amnesiac for their whole career. :lol:

In Rainbows is ten years old; do you think they'll release anything that gets as much love and praise ever again? To say they were revered for being a massive band still pushing boundaries, I think people look elsewhere for that now.

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

A full album set would be bad. Imagine Electioneering being played over How to Disappear Completely, Fitter Happier wasting a slot that an actual song could have taken, SHA and The Tourist (I know some of you rate these highly but I don't) beating out Weird Fishes and 2+2=5. Shite.

OK Computer getting a decent airing would be fine; something like them playing all the OKC songs that are in rotation (Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Let Down, Karma Police, No Surprises, Climbing up the Walls, Lucky) would be okay with me. As long as they don't also carry on playing as many AMSP tracks as they currently are as well.

This ^^^^ cut down the AMSP songs to 3, then they'll be room for the best off IR, Kid A and the two off HTTT (2+2 & TT)

1 hour ago, rhg_99 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think that's because a lot of us have seen them in the last year and all those shows were very AMSP heavy. I don't think it's a reflection on the quality of the tracks but rather on how good their back catalogue is. 

That's a point. But wanting minimal tracks off the album before their first festival over here doesn't make for a good indicator. :P

AMSP is a great album, but a great live album? Not so much - only one real big anthemic banger on there and they fuck that one right up when playing it live, hence why I struggle to get too excited about hearing any of it live (and aye, already saw a set chock full of it last year). 

Everyone seems to be overreacting about a fairly standard re-release and the idea they'll play the full album - which is complete speculation. 

The release date is obviously tied to Glastonbury (and the depressing reality is it's a sensible record company decision if we're being honest).

But in terms of how it will affect the set? They'll probably play a fair number (5 or 6) from that album, but then that's what happens at most festivals - they played 5 at Coachella! Also jjudging from most people's ideal setlists, a strong showing from OK Computer was what they wanted to happen!

Edited by strummer77

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

AMSP is a great album, but a great live album? Not so much - only one real big anthemic banger on there and they fuck that one right up when playing it live, hence why I struggle to get too excited about hearing any of it live (and aye, already saw a set chock full of it last year). 

Tbf, Ful Stop and Identikit are anthemic bangers as well. Ful Stop was one of the highlights when I saw them last year.

I think the order they play the AMSP songs makes people want them less than they maybe normally would, I doubt Desert Island Disk is anyone's favourite but I imagine people would be less against them playing it if it wasn't so early in the set. Similar with Burn the Witch not being the best live, as much as it sounded better at Coachella than last years version, if they could actually play that properly then I reckon most of us would be right up for them playing that, Daydreaming and Ful Stop as well as one or two more like Identikit, Present Tense, The Numbers etc. 

Personally I'd rather they didn't play OK Computer in full, I agree with the view that they're not a band who needs to do the whole nostalgia thing. I'd rather what is probably their final Pyramid headline slot was a mix of everything with more of a focus on some of the stuff that's not been played there, as much as I like them it would be a waste having the likes of Electioneering, Subterranean Homesick Alien and The Tourist instead of Weird Fishes, Lotus Flower or Reckoner.

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

In Rainbows is ten years old; do you think they'll release anything that gets as much love and praise ever again? To say they were revered for being a massive band still pushing boundaries, I think people look elsewhere for that now.

Ok Computer was 10 years old when they pulled that out the bag and we all went :o  so...  I suppose at this point in their career/lives it's unlikely but not totally impossible.

As for the re-release, given I won't be able to peruse it til after Glasto, I won't be paying anything (if at all) til after Glasto.  Pre-order my arse.  I bought everything the first time round, I don't feel a compulsion to throw my wallet at it.  I might get some unexpected extra wear out of my old Ok C t-shirts though. :)