Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Just now, dentalplan said:

Fair but it's also thirteen more years since Creep. I think Radiohead can't be as much 'the Creep band' anymore and are probably just 'that band journalists and nerds try to force on you'.

I actually think they could get away without playing it, but providing they bring a fair few other biggies like Fake Plastic Trees, No Surprises, etc to the party

5 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I can see them walking out immediately into Creep like at Reading. Get it out the way then smash us with everything else!

If they ditch Burn the Witch as an opener, I think Creep might be one of the more likely choices for Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Leaves me cold too.  In fact, over than the sublime Supercollider, I can't think of a single non-album track that I rate as much as their album songs.

what none of their b-sides ever?

Talk Show Host

Fog (again)

Gagging Order

You Never Wash Up After Yourself

Follows Me Around (this probably doesn't count)

True Love Waits (live)

Polyethylene 

A Reminder

Yes I Am

Banana Co

Spectre

Meeting In The Aisle

These Are My Twisted Words

Radiohead will play whatever they want to play, they have never really done a festival-friendly greatest hits set anywhere they've gone. The 2003 headline set was full of HTTT album tracks, an album which was released at the start of June 2003. 

The set will probably be the same as the ones they've been playing this year. Will have to see what the US tour next spring looks like (if rumours are to be believed about there being one). 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Leaves me cold too.  In fact, over than the sublime Supercollider, I can't think of a single non-album track that I rate as much as their album songs.

True Love Waits and Talk Show Host immediately spring to mind. Go Slowly is good too. Spectre?

Just now, smwatson said:

Radiohead will play whatever they want to play, they have never really done a festival-friendly greatest hits set anywhere they've gone. The 2003 headline set was full of HTTT album tracks, an album which was released at the start of June 2003. 

The set will probably be the same as the ones they've been playing this year. Will have to see what the US tour next spring looks like (if rumours are to be believed about there being one). 

but the festivals they've just played at were full of festival friendly greatest hits...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, your mother said:

what none of their b-sides ever?

Talk Show Host

Fog (again)

Gagging Order

You Never Wash Up After Yourself

Follows Me Around (this probably doesn't count)

True Love Waits (live)

Polyethylene 

A Reminder

Yes I Am

Banana Co

Spectre

Meeting In The Aisle

These Are My Twisted Words

true love waits no longer counts as a b-side!

but you are right, there are loads of brill b-sides, even without that one. 

Edited by russycarps

1 minute ago, smwatson said:

NOS Alive:

Burn the Witch

Daydreaming

Decks Dark

Desert Island Disk

Ful Stop

My Iron Lung

Talk Show Host

Lotus Flower

The Gloaming

Exit Music (for a Film)

The Numbers

Identikit

Reckoner

Everything in Its Right Place

Idioteque

Bodysnatchers

Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Encore:

Bloom

Paranoid Android

Nude

2 + 2 = 5

There There

Encore 2:

Creep

Karma Police

BTW, I love how sanitary and emotionless the news report is on the Glastonbury site:

"Radiohead today became the first headline act to be confirmed for Glastonbury Festival 2017. They will top the bill on the Pyramid Stage on Friday, June 23rd.

This will be the band’s third time headlining the Pyramid Stage, following previous headline appearances in 1997 and 2003."

41 minutes ago, smwatson said:

This whole summer has been full of festival friendly sets to be fair. They played  a shitload of singles at Primavera for example. 

What is most likely in my eyes is that AMSP dominates the setlist, however the five songs from that album played in sequence opening the show will not happen. Keep in mind this tour has been pretty brief and could be viewed as more of a testing-the-waters for the new material played live. That said I do think they will open the set with Burn the Witch.

3 minutes ago, Time Being said:

What is most likely in my eyes is that AMSP dominates the setlist, however the five songs from that album played in sequence opening the show will not happen. Keep in mind this tour has been pretty brief and could be viewed as more of a testing-the-waters for the new material played live. That said I do think they will open the set with Burn the Witch.

It did become less for some festival sets with sometimes only the first 2 or 3 been AMSP songs 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

True Love Waits and Talk Show Host immediately spring to mind. Go Slowly is good too. Spectre?

I forgot about Talk Show Host, but they don't seem to know how to end it.  Spectre is alright, but not as good as everyone says.  The Harry Patch song is quite powerful actually.  So that's two - SuperCollider and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) that's up there with the album tracks.

I've obviously forgotten some - it's harsh to say none of them are as good as the album tracks - but in general, I really don't rate most of the singles/b-sides, even those listed above.  To me they would all be relatively weak album tracks, although admittedly not the weakest.

Or maybe I've just not listened to them enough.

Just now, brettredmayne said:

It did become less for some festival sets with sometimes only the first 2 or 3 been AMSP songs 

yeah the three song start may still be a bit too much of the unknown for some casuals but it'd certainly fair better than the five. having already seen that first five run live though i'd rather they switched it up, and as always, learn how to play Burn the Witch properly. such a huge opening to the album but such a weak opening to the show

Just now, FloorFiller said:

yeah the three song start may still be a bit too much of the unknown for some casuals but it'd certainly fair better than the five. having already seen that first five run live though i'd rather they switched it up, and as always, learn how to play Burn the Witch properly. such a huge opening to the album but such a weak opening to the show

It needs strings, it's the main problem but that's been discussed here a lot.

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

It needs strings, it's the main problem but that's been discussed here a lot.

i feel like if we discuss and complain about it enough then word will somehow make its way to the band and they'll sort their shit out. even without strings, there must be a better way to get that opening right other than what they've been doing