Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Ugh. Something went wrong with my post. 

I meant to say: yes. The only day the SR can headline is Sunday. And I don't think they'll do it. I don't think they're popular enough for the locals and if Sheeran is more likely, which I think he is, then I can see them going for a female headliner on Sunday. Madonna or Taylor Swift. 

It's obvious that Radiohead aren't such a big band as some other pop acts. They don't sell that many albums, although AMSP is one of the 10 most sold albums this year. But nevertheless I think we're sometimes downsizing them a bit. Their media campaing surrounding AMSP worked perfectly, every little fart was reported and it seems to me the band has grown because of all this. A few years ago it wasn't given that a Radiohead festival headline set was a success, but for this tour it seems that it was always packed whenever they played. The facebook post of Glastonbury announcing them has more likes than that of any of the headliners last year. So no, they're definitely not bigger than Adele, but still, there are going to be a lot of people watching them.

I think people set too much store by using the Saturday night TV audience and the Sunday Locals Tickets thing to try to read the runes on who will play where. 

It can only ever be a 'nice to have', and there's no way that the festival will turn down a banker of a headliner just to try and satisfy either demographic.

1 minute ago, ThomZorke said:

It's obvious that Radiohead aren't such a big band as some other pop acts. They don't sell that many albums, although AMSP is one of the 10 most sold albums this year. But nevertheless I think we're sometimes downsizing them a bit. Their media campaing surrounding AMSP worked perfectly, every little fart was reported and it seems to me the band has grown because of all this. A few years ago it wasn't given that a Radiohead festival headline set was a success, but for this tour it seems that it was always packed whenever they played. The facebook post of Glastonbury announcing them has more likes than that of any of the headliners last year. So no, they're definitely not bigger than Adele, but still, there are going to be a lot of people watching them.

I agree with most of this for sure. I think for a band with a cult like status such as Radiohead, there's a tendency for the hardcore fans to underestimate their appeal on a mainstream level.

4 minutes ago, ThomZorke said:

True. Plus they only played three shows here on the TKOL tour and all sold out really quickly. Apart from that they haven't played the UK in seven years. Considering In Rainbows was a big spike in their popularity there will be a load of fans who have never seen them, plus a lot more who will want to see what the fuss is about. 

2 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Being only a casual listener and not one of the many purists who frequent this particular thread what's the chances of them doing a greatest hits set and not one like they did last time out on the park stage which was obviously aimed to please the diehards

It is certain it wont be anything like the park gig. Recent setlists have been full of the "hits"

Edited by russycarps

As only seems appropriate I've gone back to the start with Pablo Honey and will be working through the lot.  A lot.

But I say here and now, with my head firmly above the parapet, that if they play Thinking About You I will be in bits in the middle of the field.  I know it won't happen, but nonetheless.  That song drops me straight back into being a miserable lovesick teenager.

Songwriting quality, musical development and boundary challenging be damned.  I will lose my shit.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's really happening! The band who saved the festival from certain ruin in 2003 after the shitstorm of the superfence and rod stewart have come riding to the rescue again to banish the memories of last year's disastrous horror show of pyramid headliners. 

All hail the saviours of glastonbury festival.

See, that was well worth the wait @russycarps to see you get into such a state of giddy optimism ;) 

It's safe to say your experience of 2003 was very different to mine :P 

Edited by clarkete

13 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Being only a casual listener and not one of the many purists who frequent this particular thread what's the chances of them doing a greatest hits set and not one like they did last time out on the park stage which was obviously aimed to please the diehards

It'll be nothing like the park - it'll have plenty of 'hits'. Heck.. they may even bring out Creep!

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

Which is closer to reality, cloning or time travel? Because one of those will need to be working by June.

I'd focus on time travel if I were you, because I don't think cloning would actually help you. Sure, your clone could tell you what you'd been missing afterwards, but you yourself would still be at only one of them.

32 minutes ago, justperfect said:

I saw the at NOS alive last year and they were phenomenal. 

They spent the first half doing a lot of their new material (which now you have a year to listen to and find out how amazing it is ) and the second half playing their better known songs from their previous albums... all across the board.

I felt like it was the longest set in my life... but in a good way... just never seemed to end!

Just now, russycarps said:

I'm in for this. I cant remember the last time I played the bends. Let alone pablo honey!

Yep been a looooong time since I've heard anything from Pablo Honey. Who knows, maybe it'll sound amazing and get bumped up to 8th. 

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

One slot down and the lineup's 100x better than this year's so far.

Announce the Roses as Sunday headliners next and I'll put it at 200x better.

Muse and Coldplay to Radiohead and The Stone Roses. Can't complain, can you?

Bang on 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yep been a looooong time since I've heard anything from Pablo Honey. Who knows, maybe it'll sound amazing and get bumped up to 8th. 

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm in for this. I cant remember the last time I played the bends. Let alone pablo honey!

Just finished Pablo Honey, currently on High and Dry.  Personally I still love them both, but I freely admit to being massively nostalgic in my musical tastes.  Listened to them both a LOT when I was a student.

PH was always going to struggle with what came after, but I think that says more about how good they became than how bad they started. You, Thinking About You, Prove Yourself, I Can't are all great songs for me.

Proper excited :)

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Just finished Pablo Honey, currently on High and Dry.  Personally I still love them both, but I freely admit to being massively nostalgic in my musical tastes.  Listened to them both a LOT when I was a student.

PH was always going to struggle with what came after, but I think that says more about how good they became than how bad they started. You, Thinking About You, Prove Yourself, I Can't are all great songs for me.

Proper excited :)

not from pablo, but I truly love nice dream. Always have! Especially the beefed up live version. Wonderful stuff.

Well this thread has not disappointed! Very happy for you all. If the Roses get announced for the sunday then regardless of who headlines the Saturday night it would be a million times better than this year. A fucking million! I just need a ticket and this has made the gap until resale day very very long.