Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

17 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Are Radiohead still headliner material? I know they're big, and I know I don't speak for the general populace or even this forum, but hasn't their popularity declined?

I dunno, I guess I'm just thinking of their career comparatively. My favourite band are Manic Street Preachers and I think it's fair to say that their peaks and declines in critical and commercial popularity have been fairly closely mirrored and they've both got their hardcore fan bases. Maybe the difference is that with Manic Street Preachers is that while Radiohead have done three albums in the last ten years, Manic Street Preachers have done five and toured much more frequently. Leaving it as long as they have been between albums, it can be good, it can be bad... Can give people chance to miss em, can give people chance to lose interest.. 

Manics are a great band, but Radiohead are far bigger. Critical popularity - Radiohead are far bigger. The Manics didn't have two of their albums appear top 10 of "best albums of all time" lists, with a third (Kid A) also held in massive regard now. Radiohead sell out arenas in minutes. Radiohead are massively globally, they still headline big festivals worldwide, only in 2012 they headlined Coachella and got a big crowd. Their last albums have got to number 1 in this country even after being digitally released before. There's no possible comparison to be made. 

I thought as much! HTDC vs Let Down seems to also represent Kid A vs OkC.

And of course RH are headline material! I was in a crowd of 50,000 people at NOS and that day sold our months beforehand. They could have sold an extra 10,000 tickets for that based almost entirely on RH alone.

26 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Are Radiohead still headliner material? I know they're big, and I know I don't speak for the general populace or even this forum, but hasn't their popularity declined?

I dunno, I guess I'm just thinking of their career comparatively. My favourite band are Manic Street Preachers and I think it's fair to say that their peaks and declines in critical and commercial popularity have been fairly closely mirrored and they've both got their hardcore fan bases. Maybe the difference is that with Manic Street Preachers is that while Radiohead have done three albums in the last ten years, Manic Street Preachers have done five and toured much more frequently. Leaving it as long as they have been between albums, it can be good, it can be bad... Can give people chance to miss em, can give people chance to lose interest.. 

New album went to number 1 and if there did announce a large uk tour I'm fairly certain it would sell out quickly.  A moon shaped pool has done quite well commercially , be interesting to see if there do try and do a larger tour next year.

11 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Manics are a great band, but Radiohead are far bigger. Critical popularity - Radiohead are far bigger. The Manics didn't have two of their albums appear top 10 of "best albums of all time" lists, with a third (Kid A) also held in massive regard now. Radiohead sell out arenas in minutes. Radiohead are massively globally, they still headline big festivals worldwide, only in 2012 they headlined Coachella and got a big crowd. Their last albums have got to number 1 in this country even after being digitally released before. There's no possible comparison to be made. 

Ah, there are loads of lists, this one being more favourable to The Holy Bible than OK Computer http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4746117.stm

Radiohead do sell out arenas in minutes, I'm not denying that, only like I said, whether they'd still sell them out in minutes if they toured as frequently as Manic Street Preachers do. Aye, never worked out for Manics stateside. Just like I say, I wonder if they'd be selling out arenas in minutes if they were touring as infrequently as Radiohead do. That's all I was suggesting, Radohead don't tour anywhere near as prolifically as Manic Street Preachers do and I was surprised when they announced the Roundhouse dates. 

I don't think it's that unreasonable a comparison to make. Both starting out around the same time, Radiohead headlining 97, Manics 99, both having massively successful albums around the time and collecting awards and nominations all over the place, both bands seeing their popularity decline since then... I don't know what it takes to get an album to number one these days, not even sure how the charts work anymore. The Holy Bible got to number on in the vinyl charts last year, and their Wales song got to number one in the physical charts last month too. Still, sales aren't what they used to be, and often it's the anticipation that drives the sales as much as anything. I just think that Radiohead, like Manics, have had their best days. 

19 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

New album went to number 1 and if there did announce a large uk tour I'm fairly certain it would sell out quickly.  A moon shaped pool has done quite well commercially , be interesting to see if there do try and do a larger tour next year.

It would be interesting and that's all I was getting at. They don't tend to tour anymore, haven't done for years. The last few Manics UK tours at least have been anything between 10 and 30 dates, what have Radiohead's been, three, four?

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

It would be interesting and that's all I was getting at. They don't tend to tour anymore, haven't done for years. The last few Manics UK tours at least have been anything between 10 and 30 dates, what have Radiohead's been, three, four?

In rainbows was 1 in Manchester LCCC and 2 in Victoria park 

King of limbs was 3 nights at the o2 and 1 in Manchester arena 

so far moon shaped pool is 3 nights at the roundhouse 

58 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Ah, there are loads of lists, this one being more favourable to The Holy Bible than OK Computer http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4746117.stm

Radiohead do sell out arenas in minutes, I'm not denying that, only like I said, whether they'd still sell them out in minutes if they toured as frequently as Manic Street Preachers do. Aye, never worked out for Manics stateside. Just like I say, I wonder if they'd be selling out arenas in minutes if they were touring as infrequently as Radiohead do. That's all I was suggesting, Radohead don't tour anywhere near as prolifically as Manic Street Preachers do and I was surprised when they announced the Roundhouse dates. 

I don't think it's that unreasonable a comparison to make. Both starting out around the same time, Radiohead headlining 97, Manics 99, both having massively successful albums around the time and collecting awards and nominations all over the place, both bands seeing their popularity decline since then... I don't know what it takes to get an album to number one these days, not even sure how the charts work anymore. The Holy Bible got to number on in the vinyl charts last year, and their Wales song got to number one in the physical charts last month too. Still, sales aren't what they used to be, and often it's the anticipation that drives the sales as much as anything. I just think that Radiohead, like Manics, have had their best days. 

That was an obscure Newsnight poll though, the ones which Radiohead topped were massive music magazine run ones. 

Certainly Manics are nowhere near as big as they used to be and even in their career they'd only had 1 album no.1. I remember when Radiohead used to tour more often in the early 2000s and even then their gigs would sell out very quickly. The Wales song definitely didn't get to no. 1 in the physical charts. And the vinyl charts are pretty niche. 

Radiohead have had their most popular days for sure (and may have had their best days critically too), but their last album has been a big critical and commercial success - no.1 in loads of countries, no. 3 in USA and almost universally great reviews. Indeed there's a website which aggregates thousand of critic lists over the years and they're the 6th most acclaimed artist of all time - of course it's down to individual opinion whether or not they're overrated! If they're not headliners then very few bands are. 

49 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I feel like this thread is going to descend into top 10 song lists.

I'm perfectly ok with that.

Have we ever done a top ten of most anticipated *live* songs? It would be a similar list to the normal top 10, with differences.  e.g. Let Down would be lower and Give Up The Ghost would be higher.

2 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

all the festivals they headlined this year in Europe sold out very quickly. They can definitely headline glasto

38 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

That was an obscure Newsnight poll though, the ones which Radiohead topped were massive music magazine run ones. 

Certainly Manics are nowhere near as big as they used to be and even in their career they'd only had 1 album no.1. I remember when Radiohead used to tour more often in the early 2000s and even then their gigs would sell out very quickly. The Wales song definitely didn't get to no. 1 in the physical charts. And the vinyl charts are pretty niche. 

Radiohead have had their most popular days for sure (and may have had their best days critically too), but their last album has been a big critical and commercial success - no.1 in loads of countries, no. 3 in USA and almost universally great reviews. Indeed there's a website which aggregates thousand of critic lists over the years and they're the 6th most acclaimed artist of all time - of course it's down to individual opinion whether or not they're overrated! If they're not headliners then very few bands are. 

The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go have consistently been up there in lists for NME, Q and even Kerrang! oddly enough. No, they're nowhere near as acclaimed across the pond as Radiohead are but that's something that I find interesting too, how Americans "get" or don't get British bands. The Cure, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, The Smiths are as big, if not arguably bigger in America than they are at home. Manic Strewt Preachers, Oasis, The Verve... Never happened. I find it interesting anyway... Can understand why Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart wouldn't go down particularly well over there, but they've played it there about a dozen times.

The Wales song definitely did get to number one on the physical charts http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/physical-singles-chart/20160610/1/. Not that it particularly matters, mind. The charts don't mean what they used to at all.

I'm not denouncing Radiohead, don't get me wrong. I haven't heard the new one yet, will probably give it a go at some point. I just think they're a bit of an anomaly, maybe they are headliner material still, I don't know, to be honest I've gradually lost interest in them. Trying to be objective, it seems that more and more the tag "headliner material" belongs to bands I'm not personally bothered about. Course if we're not interested in such and such a band it doesn't mean they're not headliner material anymore than our favourites are. Admittedly I'm quite out of the loop as far as Radiohead are concerned but I don't think the comparison between their career and Manics is that ridiculous. Not identical by any means, but there are similarities. I wonder if the gaps have done them favours too, or whether if they'd been as busy as Manics have been the last decade they'd still be as popular as they are now or people might get a bit sick of them. Only speculating, mind. I think Manics would be selling out arenas quickly and headlining big festivals if they were touring and releasing as infrequently as Radiohead do. No real reason to think that mind, just a hunch. Course it doesn't matter, if they're big enough they're big enough. Like I say, I've been kinda out of the loop.

53 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

In rainbows was 1 in Manchester LCCC and 2 in Victoria park 

King of limbs was 3 nights at the o2 and 1 in Manchester arena 

so far moon shaped pool is 3 nights at the roundhouse 

Yeah, LCCC was the last time I saw em. Aside from festivals is that it for the UK, seriously? Ten gigs in ten years? No wonder they go like gold dust!

Something like this (used to be a top 10 but a few songs forced their way in and I couldn't drop any of the original 10). From 2-13 I really can't order them; the general ordering is there or there abouts (ie. I know that I prefer HTDC to The Daily Mail), but I could spend all day switching adjacently ranked songs with each other depending on how I'm feeling at the time.

1. Let Down

2. How to Disappear Completely

3. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

4. The Bends

5. Reckoner

6. Jigsaw Falling Into Place

7. Fake Plastic Trees

8. 2+2=5

9. Paranoid Android

10. A Wolf at the Door

11. Nude

12. Everything in its Right Place

13. The Daily Mail

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have we ever done a top ten of most anticipated *live* songs? It would be a similar list to the normal top 10, with differences.  e.g. Let Down would be lower and Give Up The Ghost would be higher.

1. Paranoid Android
  2. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
  3. Reckoner
  4. Let Down
  5. Bodysnatchers
  6. Identikit
  7. Everything in Its Right Place
  8. Idiotique
  9. Present Tense
  10. Myxomatosis

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Paranoid Android was the worst song when I saw them in 2012 despite being one of my favourite songs in general.

Android is a funny one - they either completely nail it and it comes as as completely epic, or they absolutely phone it in and it can be a massive disappointment.

4 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Yeah, LCCC was the last time I saw em. Aside from festivals is that it for the UK, seriously? Ten gigs in ten years? No wonder they go like gold dust!

They played Reading/Leeds on the In Rainbows tours as well but even at 12 gigs it's still very little.

NOS was incredible last month. My 3rd time seeing them. 

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For me, you can't do Let Down justice live unless you put two Thom Yorkes on stage for the vocals in that bit. Short of a major breakthrough in cloning technology that's not going to happen.  So HTDC wins.

quote-yeah-after-making-pablo-honey-we-s

Do I hear surprise guest appearance...?

• Upvote 1