Brexit at Glastonbury 2016 - a video compilation

Sidasta

On a bit of a video editing roll, decided to make this. Let's see how long it takes before it gets pulled from YouTube due to a copyright claim or something.

A compilation of main-stage performers making statements relating to the EU referendum result ("Brexit"), which was announced on Friday 24th June.

The BBC provides an excellent service in which they record and make available (on iPlayer) many sets performed on the main four stages at Glastonbury. However, a few of these recordings had omissions which may have been related to time or technical issues. It may simply be a coincidence that a few of these decisions resulted in the cutting of statements referring to the EU referendum result.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm not going to get involved in any debates about the BBC's involvement or orientation towards the whole "Brexit" thing. I simply had the intention of compiling these statements, and was slightly surprised when I couldn't find a few that I know I had seen/heard live.

Also of note is the lack of statements made by those who were supporting the Brexit campaign. It could have been that there weren't any, or they decided to keep quiet since they know their audience wouldn't react kindly to such words.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing the news at 6am stone circle is something i'l never forget

I'l never forget that feeling where I was like - "I don't want to leave this place, because the real world really just isn't as nice.."

Edited by Matt42

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'l never forget that feeling where I was like - "I don't want to leave this place, because the real world really just isn't as nice.."

I woke up to someone in our camp yelling something along the lines of "FUCK."

I'd decided to try not to hear the result but was assured by my friends that I'd know as soon as I left our camp on Friday morning.  So I opted to hear it from them.  Turns out I never believed a leave vote was possible cos I was devastated.  Then I realised I was in the best possible place to process what was going on.  Which in turn got me right over my mud huffs and woes. 

Woke up in my tent with a nasty hangover after too much vodka the night before...opened my eyes and adjusted to the world around me with head pounding.

My husband, already outside the tent, says 'we have left'.

Needless to say that my head pounded even harder after that. Got up for a wee and the toilet queue was buzzing with the information and we all had a good moan and shout about it. Including deciding to make Glastonbury an independent state and stay forever.

Edited by Larraht

As an Irish man I was shocked and angry when I woke up to the decision and wondered how it would go down at Glastonbury.  However from the monent I left the tent, hope was restored as the sense of shock around the site was evident and everyone I spoke with were so angry.  I was so happy that so many artists spoke out at the decision.  It reaffirmed why I love Glastonbury so much as the spirit and sense of togetherness created a special vibe all weekend.  It really did feel like it was us against the world for the weekend.  I will always remember where I was when I heard the result come through....

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I was in exactly the same place at around about the same time and had the exact same thought! There was nowhere else on the planet that could have been a better place to hear the grotesque news.

I had just come off a nice trip a few hours before, and my face was still aching from all the laughter. Then this. Devastating stuff. There was a girl by me in tears.

I had a couple of hours sleep then back on it for James. Thank god that crowd was full of like minded people. I was close to tears when larry told the Leavers to fuck off.

Bad times

Edited by russycarps

Well part of the advice is true.  We have to deal with it.

There were good and bad arguments on both sides.  On balance I wanted to Remain, and the feeling I had this time last week confirmed that I had voted the right way for me.  Gutted is an overused term but that's exactly how I felt last Friday.

That said it's not all doom and gloom.  We have to look at the advantages of being outside the EU and build on them.  Our relationship is now going to be set via the negotiations.  One outcome is that we get something that looks VERY similar to what it is now, at the other extreme we detach completely.  The degree to which we travel along that line is perhaps the most important decision since 1945.

If I am being honest I think that the EU is in massive danger of collapsing.  The banks are massively underfunded, one more shock and there will be other countries joining us as ex-members.

On balance I believe this to be a bad thing, but I am sure many of the 45% of youth unemployed in Spain would disagree with me, and I can see their argument.

Thanks for this compilation.

Switched on my phone at 8AM on Friday morning (after a very heavy Thursday night) to be bombarded by texts from family and friends, all saying pretty much the same thing "we're f*cked". Stepped out of our tent at WV and my immediate neighbour was on the verge of tears, but next door to her an older middle aged man clenched his fist and shouted "YES!! We're OUT!!". Bastard, I felt like slapping his smug face. I felt a mix of intense anger and deep sadness. Watching James, the guitarist expressed how I felt.

What a mess.

It was the venom with which the "shut up and deal with it" was delivered though Teddington, I don't think anyone has been as rude as that to me at Glastonbury. I agree that we have to deal with the hand we've been delt. which is increasingly looking like the same deal, for more money and with a weakened economy...oh well

We had a pretty heavy night up at the temple on the Thursday and so had a lie in on the Friday morning, was drifting in and out and was catching sound bites of passers by talking about it but refused to believe it as anything other than a bad dream until I checked it on my phone.

after a couple of hours of chatting to my wife at home and reading online the fall out( most I used my phone over the 5 days) it was decided that this was the place to be!

found it hard to push through the Friday but found it easier as the day went on.

still trying to comprehend how we've got to here and having been back to work a couple of days and having listened to the reasons that a couple of my colleagues voted to leave. I've had to really bite my tongue.

tough times ahead!

16 minutes ago, sassy2012 said:

It was the venom with which the "shut up and deal with it" was delivered though Teddington, I don't think anyone has been as rude as that to me at Glastonbury. I agree that we have to deal with the hand we've been delt. which is increasingly looking like the same deal, for more money and with a weakened economy...oh well

Yep, far too much rudeness and emotion on both sides of the vote. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Once you question that, it's a slipperly slope.

It's interesting that as a festival where openness, acceptance of others and their  different opinions and championing of their right to speak is promoted, there was a very nasty atmosphere to those who chose to exercise their right and voted to leave.

I saw people being called racists and crowds chanting for people to "fuck off"...

The level of hypocrisy was astounding.  

1 hour ago, CTO said:

It's interesting that as a festival where openness, acceptance of others and their  different opinions and championing of their right to speak is promoted, there was a very nasty atmosphere to those who chose to exercise their right and voted to leave.

I saw people being called racists and crowds chanting for people to "fuck off"...

That's where you are wrong though, the festival most definitely does not preach openness and acceptance of all opinions, that's why the left field, Greenpeace, oxfam and water aid are given such prominence.

The festival wears its political leanings on its sleeve, and it should hardly be a surprise that a festival that encourages activism attracts people with similar views. All of whom are more than entitled to say fuck off to the large and openly racist element of society that swung this vote.

2 hours ago, CTO said:

Yes so much for being able to have your say in a free world with out being lynched, anyone with a differing opinion was made to feel like scum of the earth not very nice to be honest but hey ho it was loving glastonbury after all  

Vant are a very politically fired band and some of their songs reflect this - they told all the leave voters to fuck off in their set at WG on Friday too. Was very glad to be at a place with such likeminded people when the news broke, unlike my city who voted to leave.

2 hours ago, CTO said:

Since when has the festival been open and accepting of all opinions? 

Anyway, your post has been heartwarming to read. I'm glad you got told to fuck off, you nasty, selfish, small-minded, thick, racist c**t.

Edited by russycarps