Flares

russycarps

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During lcd soundsytem everytime someone lit a flare the security guy jumped over the soundesk barrier and made them put it out . Must have extinguished at least 4 which involved getting the flare person down off someones shoulders and stamping it out. 

Edited by rubenz

41 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Anyone die? Lose a limb? An eye? Get horrifically burned? Get badly burned? Get a teeny tiny burn?

No?

Thought not.

In fairness one clipped me on the head on the way down at the Chems last year and it fucking hurt. But generally seem fine...

Edited by strummer77

49 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Anyone die? Lose a limb? An eye? Get horrifically burned? Get badly burned? Get a teeny tiny burn?

No?

Thought not.

As it happens, a friend of mine did get burned on the arm by one. Nothing life-changing admittedly, probably similar to getting spat at by a chip pan. Still the kind of thing that can spoil your enjoyment of a gig, though. What's more important, though, is the fact that the pissed-up arsehole holding said flare had no idea whether the hot crap dripping off it would land on her arm, in her eye, or on the 3 year old child she had with her (and before you say she shouldn't have a young child with her in a crowd after dark, this was during Madness, in mid-afternoon). 

So, how about you shut up, and stop acting like you know everything, you arrogant cockwomble? 

I don't have that much of an issue towards them, and I like what they add to the atmosphere. I get the safety arguments, and yes I guess there is an element of danger compared to not having the flare in the first place. But there's far more people drugged up who could potentially cause danger. Especially those that go too far, can't handle it etc. (btw I'm not calling for a ban or saying I disagree with drugs, I've dabbled myself). Same could be said to those that can't handle their alcohol. I guess my point is how far to you go with trying to stamp potential dangers out? 

Heck what do I know, I guess I just have a liberal attitude to these things (in the literal sense, not in the political sense).

For the record during Coldplay a guy standing a foot behind me lit several flares, and I didn't feel in particular danger. The first time the sound made me jump a little as I wasn't expecting it though!

Edited by djdavejohnson

44 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

As it happens, a friend of mine did get burned on the arm by one. Nothing life-changing admittedly, probably similar to getting spat at by a chip pan. Still the kind of thing that can spoil your enjoyment of a gig, though. What's more important, though, is the fact that the pissed-up arsehole holding said flare had no idea whether the hot crap dripping off it would land on her arm, in her eye, or on the 3 year old child she had with her (and before you say she shouldn't have a young child with her in a crowd after dark, this was during Madness, in mid-afternoon). 

So, how about you shut up, and stop acting like you know everything, you arrogant cockwomble? 

So it's about as painful as someone accidentally touching you with their cigarette then.

Ban smoking! 

1 hour ago, musky said:

Anyone here actually stand for long beneath someone holding a flare?

No?

Thought not.

I did, during coldplay.  There aren't any sparks, as it appears from a distance, the foamy stuff is just really brightly lit as it flies off so it looks like sparks falling, no burning material is ejected.  I got some foam on me, it brushed off.