Top 5 Glastonbury sets

arcade fireman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 5 is very changeable. Enjoyed different sets for different reasons so it can get a bit jumbled depending on what mood i'm in. In a way these are the most memorable as opposed to being 'the best'.

From 08, 09, 10, 11, 14, 16.

1. Pulp - The Park '11 - Flawless set. Jarvis was so so good.

2. Metallica - Pyramid '14 - Couple of rows from the front with a bottle of whiskey. Got a Metalliball. 

3. Leonard Cohen - Pyramid '08: - Really moving. 

4. Orbital - Arcadia '11:  It just all seemed to make sense. Dr who theme remix + fireballs. 

5. Laura Marling / Mumford and Sons - Greenpeace Stage '09: It was one of those moments of seeing someone on the brink of massiveness. I was squeezed in pretty much side of stage and it was insane.

There are loads that I remember as being great, but cant really pull out any details.. Didnt see a whole lot this year but Adele / Art Garfunkel are pretty high.

On 7/1/2016 at 1:33 PM, SpiralGirl said:
Memory's not what it was, but off the top of my head...

Leonard Cohen, Pyramid 2008.  Still the greatest.

Chic, West Holts 2013.  Nile Rogers was so thrilled to be there and the whole crowd singing Get Lucky to him at the end was just sublime.

Stones, Pyramid 2013.  Happiest most excited crowd I've seen.

Patti Smith, Pyramid 2015.  Toasting the Dalai Lama with a can of beer was quite surreal.

Pixies, Other Stage 2014.  I know it probably wasn't one of their best, but it was the first time I'd seen them and I loved it!

Correct.

2014, 2015, 2016:

1. LCD Soundsystem 2016

2. Goldfrapp, 2014

3. Lionel Richie, 2015

4. Public Service Broadcasting, 2015

5. London Grammar, 2014

Honorable mentions to Courtney Barnett (JP 2014), Mark Ronson (2015) and Paul Weller (2015) mainly 'cos I love Weller. 

Only been to '15 and '16, but i'll chime in regardless:

1. LCD Soundsystem, Other Stage, 2016 - I mean, what else need to be said about that gig. Been to countless of gigs and festivals around the world, and that was up there to the best set I've seen ever. The crowd was the icing on the cake, the energy, everyone was there for LCD and it was apparent. Just the perfect ending to a festival I can think of. 

2. Kanye West, Pyramid Stage, 2015 - Kanye performance gets a lot of hate around this forum - its an acquired taste that's for sure, but I thought it was brilliant. I saw it more like a performance art rather than just a gig. It was intense, different, captivating, visually stunning - it was the most unique headline set the Pyramid stage have ever seen. Sure, he could go the Jay-Z way and be more crowd pleasing, but that's not what Kanye's all about. It was Kanye West being Kanye West. I thought the crowd was a bit lost in some of the more non-hits (when Bon Iver showed up, people around me thought it was Justin Bieber), but at times it was just down right crazy at the front.

3. Florence + The Machine, Pyramid Stage, 2016 - This was a more sentimental pick. As someone who grew up 7000 miles away, growing up it was always just a pipe dream to go to this festival. Each year I purchased the bootleg (yes, there is such a thing) of the video performances from Glastonbury throughout the year. I have no idea how many times I've seen Radiohead at Glastonbury 2003 set, or Blur at 2009, and just wondering when will I ever get to see the sacred Pyramid myself. I've been lurking at this forum since 2007/2008, registered at 2012, without ever actually going to the festival itself. Everyday constantly checking through this forum to see if there's any news. When Florence took the stage I was just overwhelmed with all this emotions, of years dreaming of this moment, and the realization that, I was really there, I have finally made it to Glastonbury.

4. Lionel Richie, Pyramid Stage, 2015 - It was very cheesy, but everyone there were just having the time of their lives.

5. Sigur Ros, John Peel, 2016 - It was as good as I've ever seen from them live. The new visual set up was stunning. Could've been more higher up but had to leave 2 songs before the end since my girlfriend wasn't feeling well.

Memory bit hazy and can't remember some of the years but off top of my head in no particular order

Chic 2013

Chemical brothers 2004 (all other years good too)

Muse 2010

Stevie 2010

Fat boy slim other stage 2005? 2007?

Honourable mentions for

Public enemy, gorgol bordello, basement jaxx, groove armada, Neil diamond

From 04 onwards..

Cohen 08

Fogerty 07

I'm stopping at that - there've been many other great shows of course, and I've been at quite a few mentioned on this thread (Pulp, Blur, Stones, being the ones mentioned most often so far), but for me those 2 really are so far ahead of everything else that I'd rather keep the list there - past that the others become difficult to separate into some kind of order.

Edited by incident

11 hours ago, tevaburger said:

i see Snoop Dogg on that sunny hot friday of 2010 getting quite a few 'best ever' votes here. i enjoyed it at the time, but was there any truth to those lingering rumours that he was miming? 

Never heard such rumours, but that couldn't take anything away from it for me (I don't think he was though). Was my first year and the first real 'wow Glastonbury is so much better than every other festival' moment I had. Never tire of watching it on YouTube. Was so good. The blazing heat and cloud of smoke that rose up over the crowd when he came on stage definitely helped

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Never heard such rumours, but that couldn't take anything away from it for me (I don't think he was though). Was my first year and the first real 'wow Glastonbury is so much better than every other festival' moment I had. Never tire of watching it on YouTube. Was so good. The blazing heat and cloud of smoke that rose up over the crowd when he came on stage definitely helped

Same from me. Never heard of such rumours. 

The setlist was ace as well.

10,11,13,14,15,16 for me, so:
Stones 2013
Editors 2013
Metallica 2014
The Kills 2011
PJ Harvey 2016

I was stupidly lucky for the Stones - walked straight to the front just as Ben Howard finished and the crowd left - was within touching distance of the rail, in the middle.

Coldplay 2016: Annoyingly this performance was absolutely incredible, 

Kasabian 2014: Similar to Coldplay in that i went in with average expectations and was blown away, also i'm 6'4" and my friend put me on his shoulders for Fire, (i'm aware this was a quite a dick move for everyone behind us and i quite fairly got a drink or two thrown at me but is something that's never going to happen again and it was rather special.)  

Lionel Richie 2015: Closest to the front of the pyramid i have ever been, fantastic group of friends, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic stage presence, i had so much fun 

Dan le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip 2014: fantastic performance first time id ever been to watched anything at leftfield, the crowd sing-along to look for the woman was beautiful, and Pips crowd surfing was impressive and hilarious 

Royal Blood 2014: The look on the lead singers face at the end of out of the black when the entire JP crowd was applauding and Cheering at them was pretty special, he looked genuinely  astounded by the reaction they were receiving 

Honorable mention to Kate tempest who made me cry last year at the end of her set. 

Gosh, I'll probably change my mind before I've finished the post but here's the first punt. 

Neil Young - Pyramid 09

Chic - West Holts 13

Eddy Grant - West Holts 08 (I think)

Bruce Springsteen - Pyramid (was it 2010?)

The Stones were a bit special, weren't they.