EOTR sept weather

ghandi

This will be  our first EOTR fest and obviously this years weather to date to say the least has been poor what with the very muddy Glastonbury and been to the festival for the last 6 years prior to the one just gone I know that June can be very changeable, but what has been the norm at EOTR which obviously is early Sept. Hopefully it catches the warm end of August, though I have read it gets very cold at nights. What have past festival been like weather wise? We've already got out tickets so whatever will be and all that :)

52 minutes ago, ghandi said:

This will be  our first EOTR fest and obviously this years weather to date to say the least has been poor what with the very muddy Glastonbury and been to the festival for the last 6 years prior to the one just gone I know that June can be very changeable, but what has been the norm at EOTR which obviously is early Sept. Hopefully it catches the warm end of August, though I have read it gets very cold at nights. What have past festival been like weather wise? We've already got out tickets so whatever will be and all that :)

It's usually quite moderate with blasts of rain and sun here and there but nothing extreme. Fingers crossed it will be the same this year. I've never known it to be too muddy.

I've been going to EOTR for a few years now we are very lucky with the weather when the festival is on, mostly its been dry but the odd occasion we've had a wet day here n there but can't recall it being severe like glasto can be trust me i've been to muddy glasto lol it doesn't really get muddy but i always take my wellies just incase.... it can get abit windy and does get abit cold at night though

We've been lucky each time we've gone, the only time we had any rain for any length of time was on the Sunday in 2012. Most of the other time, during the day, the weather has been really warm for that time of the year - however the temperature drops pretty drastically when the sun goes down and gets very chilly indeed so be prepared to bring clothing for different temperatures, and warm bedclothing. Hope that you enjoy the festival and manage to see a wandering peacock or two and even the macaws in the trees.

I can only agree with the others. We've been to 7 out of the last 8 EOTR's and can only think of 3 or 4 days when we had showers and only one of these led to actual mud being cut up. Every year we expect it to be "the year we get hit by a deluge" but we've been very lucky so far - we've had summers that have been a complete write-off and then the clouds have parted over Tollard Royal in early September. Of course, I've gone and jinxed it now.

Edited by paulwa

Great news, can't wait now. The Glasto blues of not getting a ticket well and truly gone especially after the bad weather i am really looking forward to trying a different king of festival and setting seeing that i only get to one a year.

I can only think of one year where the weather caused trouble underfoot, 2008 when there was a deluge on Friday early evening which only lasted a couple of hours but parts of the site completely cut up for the next two days. Otherwise even when it's steadily rained (which isn't as often as you'd think) it's never been impassible.

This will be my 7th consecutive EoTR and never had much trouble with weather - memories are more of being sat in the sunshine at The Garden Stage!   The biggest benefit, even if it does get wet, is that the site is sufficiently compact so that you're not stuck in endless Glasto-esque queues of people navigating the mud to get from stage to stage. It's also got great natural drainage in the soil, so you don't get that quicksand-like clay soil mud that you do at Glastonbury. 

I'm hoping it'll be a dry one, we are taking our 16 month old son, far easier to get his buggy about without any mud.

As you already know, it does get cold at night, Lots of warm clothes and a woolly hat are the order of the day. We took a couple of hot water bottles to warm our baby's bed last year, which neatly transferred to our sleeping bags once he was in bed!

Best bit is everything is in walking distance of where you camp.  It's a 5-10 minute job to leave the main arena, layer up with extra clothes at your tent, then back in. No need to carry loads of layers with you.  

Only other newbie advice I would give is to pick your eating times carefully, if buying from stalls. There is some fabulous indepenent food on offer at EoTR with many returning traders, but us being creatures of habit, everyone wants to eat at 6pm! So you can get some big queues at the more popular outlets, which is a bit of a shame if you've got an act you want to see but the horn for a Goan Fish Curry/Barnaby Sykes Pie at the same time!

It really is a fabulous festival - many of my Glasto crew have got a bit burned out by the sheer size of that, so have EoTR as their must-do these days.

Edited by LowerMead

• 2 weeks later...

Accurate post by LowerMead. 

We alternate it with Glastonbury these days - and take the kids. Can't afford to do x2 festivals in one year anymore, and I bloody love EOTR.

I can only remember 2008 being muddy, but it was fine. The festival is small enough for it not to be too much of a concern. 

One thing about the weather - it can get VERY cold at night compared to festivals earlier in the year. Wrap up and take a wooly hat. Be prepared for it as once cold it's hard to warm up again.