Angry locals signs on approach to festival

Skoo

Coming in from the west side of the festival, did anyone else pass the farm with a big Vote Leave sign outside, along with some homemade signs saying stuff like "Glastonbury Cancelled", "Anti Eavis", "Boycott Glastonbury" etc?

Seems they had some serious beef with the festival.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw those and wondered if they've always been there. I've driven in from that side the last few years and not noticed the before. saw one that read "Farmer of the year (picture of Eavis) Bull!" And also saw the pro-Brexit ones. Knew there was always a bit of negative sentiment form some locals, but first time I'd seen that.

I saw quite a few Vote Leave banners in fields on the way to the site but nothing about Eavis. Although we did comment about noit expecting the locals to be Eavis' best friend so to speak.... must be rather disruptive having Glasto in your back garden.

Weird. I thought farmers would have wanted to vote to remain.

He came out into the road while we were waiting in traffic to get in to gate D on the Wednesday, he went off on one about how Eavis has poisoined his land and doesn't care about anyone else. Everyone in the traffic dismissed him as a local nutter, someone a few cars back tried to confront him but he wasn't really taking any of it on board and just walked off and adjusted his signs again.

1 minute ago, mungo57 said:

Driving down the back way all the largest, most expensive properties had leave signs up.  If this wasn't a clear enough sign to people who would benefit and who would lose from the decision I'm not sure what was.

My uncle is a farmer and voted leave, as did pretty much all his neighbours. As soon as I hit the countryside, it's leave posters all over the shop.

Can see why this particular individual had some beef with Eavis, as indeed, the festival's capacity has steadily increased, and it really must be a ball ache for him, especially as he says he doesn't get an invite to the festival itself.

9 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

No. Most farmers (most landowners) voted Leave. Although the EU provides subsidies it also spends a lot of time telling farmers what to do and how to do it, in minute and tedious detail. 

14 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Driving down the back way all the largest, most expensive properties had leave signs up.  If this wasn't a clear enough sign to people who would benefit and who would lose from the decision I'm not sure what was.

I saw the analogy of 'turkeys voting for christmas' the other day - pretty fitting really.

If my life was going to be disrupted for a week or so in order for 200,000 people to have the time of their lives with millions going to charities helping people far less fortunate than us than I'd be more than happy for it to happen rather than being a selfish nimby dick.

50 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Coming in from the west side of the festival, did anyone else pass the farm with a big Vote Leave sign outside, along with some homemade signs saying stuff like "Glastonbury Cancelled", "Anti Eavis", "Boycott Glastonbury" etc?

Seems they had some serious beef with the festival.

Yeah I saw these signs (in slow motion actually, due to the traffic!). I can kind of see why locals would be disgruntled, but really it is only for a week a year.

11 minutes ago, kbearne said:

Yeah I saw these signs (in slow motion actually, due to the traffic!). I can kind of see why locals would be disgruntled, but really it is only for a week a year.

It is more than a week . the putting up of the festival and taking down takes much longer

Just now, fred quimby said:

It is more than a week . the putting up of the festival and taking down takes much longer

True, not sure of the levels of disruption caused at those stages. Still, I mean if I was local I would maybe go on a holiday for a week or two? open a glamping field/rent a room? 

59 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

He came out into the road while we were waiting in traffic to get in to gate D on the Wednesday, he went off on one about how Eavis has poisoined his land and doesn't care about anyone else. Everyone in the traffic dismissed him as a local nutter, someone a few cars back tried to confront him but he wasn't really taking any of it on board and just walked off and adjusted his signs again.

Hmmmm .... I';m wondering if this might be the same local farmer who ended up in court after a bit of bother around a recent-year's festival, and who I think might have an injunction to keep him away from Michael &/or Emily.

Just now, eFestivals said:

Hmmmm .... I';m wondering if this might be the same local farmer who ended up in court after a bit of bother around a recent-year's festival, and who I think might have an injunction to keep him away from Michael &/or Emily.

Different one by the sound of it. The one who's been to court (a few times now) is a farmer named Peter Hugh Taylor who lives really close to Gate B - haven't heard of him causing any issues this year so maybe that particular relationship is less toxic than it was a year or two ago.

We were in the queue running back through Shepton Mallet, about half 5 ish I'd decided to get out the car and stretch my legs. One of the residents opened his door and shouted abuse along the lines of "fuck off back to where you're from and the festival can fuck off too"  

I was too tired to give him anything back. Could see where he was coming from but there was no need.

After the vote, the locals may feel even more empowered to vocalise their feeling next year! :)

I was stuck on the A39 for about an hour and a half in a village called Ashcott. Spoke to a local who was leaning on his gate surveying the scene, seemed friendly enough. People were waiting for buses in the village centre must have been a bit narked though - heard report of kids missing A-Level exams too. Don't think that had experienced it that bad for a long time.