Angry locals signs on approach to festival

Skoo

A lot of the local people still remember the days when the village was filled with hundreds of festival people who didn't take kindly to the break-ins and shitting in their gardens which used to happen. That's obviously in the past now, but the traffic congestion that happened this year brings all those memories back so it's understandable that they are concerned.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm local (although just outside the local ticket catchment area dammit!).  I think to be fair to the locals, it is weeks of disruption either side of the festival, mainly people take it in their stride, but do not underestimate the indifference some have regarding it, not everyone shares our love of the festival.  Last week's road disruption was unfortunate and it did cause a lot of headaches for people trying to go about their daily business, several of my colleagues were not happy for example.  In the main I would say most locals view it with a passing interest when it's on, but otherwise would not be fussed if it happened or not.

9 hours ago, Smeble said:

Cetainly not only for a week, it takes months to set up and months to take down again

Ah, wasn't sure of disruption levels during set up/take down.

8 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

A lot of the local people still remember the days when the village was filled with hundreds of festival people who didn't take kindly to the break-ins and shitting in their gardens which used to happen. That's obviously in the past now, but the traffic congestion that happened this year brings all those memories back so it's understandable that they are concerned.

Well that sounds horrendous.. 

Saw this guy's signs whilst queuing up to get in. The traffic stopped and he was chewing the ear off some guys in a camper van a few cars ahead of us but then thankfully the traffic moved and we got past him so avoided the tirade.

Ultimately I guess this guy has a right, like anyone, to protest against something which he sees as unsustainable and as having an adverse impact on his life. Whilst I have no doubt that the set-up and breakdown of the site over the weeks before and after the festival is likely to be inconvenient, I have only ever seen traffic as bad as that on the Wednesday of this year's festival once before I would doubt that the set-up and breakdown causes anything like those sort of issues.

Some of this also goes back to the perception that Michael makes millions of pounds off of the festival, something which I think bypasses a lot of (admittedly mainly disinterested onlookers) is the huge contribution the festival makes to charity, local amenities and the local economy in general.  

3 hours ago, geoffboycott said:

I'm local (although just outside the local ticket catchment area dammit!).  I think to be fair to the locals, it is weeks of disruption either side of the festival, mainly people take it in their stride, but do not underestimate the indifference some have regarding it, not everyone shares our love of the festival.  Last week's road disruption was unfortunate and it did cause a lot of headaches for people trying to go about their daily business, several of my colleagues were not happy for example.  In the main I would say most locals view it with a passing interest when it's on, but otherwise would not be fussed if it happened or not.

I am local as well - I think your comment has pretty much hit the nail on the head from what I can tell.

19 hours ago, Aragorn said:

the white cross in in the tangerine fields and is there all year round as far as I am aware

Correct.  It sits smack in the middle of the first Tangerine field.  Although TF has no direct relationship to the Goode family, who own the farmhouse at the bottom of the field, they do use some of their electricity and obviously have a good business relationship.  There is also small barn converted to a small chapel with Bibles etc at the bottom of the field that TF customers can use - I think they also have a small Sunday service in there.  Oddly the barn/chapel also hosts the electric airbed pump for TF visitors to use......

Met a local lady who must have been 80+ while walking up the road by pop up motel stopped and had a chat she seemed totally unphased by the disruption and was just going about her daily routine of walking her dog and visiting a friend .

Wished us a good time , said I'd see her at the front for ronnie spector she replied I would love too but I've heard it's rather muddy .