Tent walkabout post festival

ian the worm

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can so many people afford to leave so much stuff, it's gob smacking. Some of those tents must be £400 and up. People who are complaining about ticket prices watch this video as all that shit has to be cleared up at a cost to the festival and quite rightly they pass that on to the feckers that make the mess, however as they can't be singled out we all suffer. It looks more like a tent sale than the post festival camp site. 

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2016/jul/10/two-weeks-on-is-this-the-worst-glastonbury-cleanup-ever?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

nice little mention in this article, OP. I'd love to think that a bit of media attention might shame more people into not being filthy disgusting bastards, but I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic there. 

20 hours ago, balti-pie said:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2016/jul/10/two-weeks-on-is-this-the-worst-glastonbury-cleanup-ever?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

nice little mention in this article, OP. I'd love to think that a bit of media attention might shame more people into not being filthy disgusting bastards, but I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic there. 

Over half a million views and over 1000 comments on all the places this video is embedded and FINALLY I have found ONE person who has admitted to leaving their stuff.  I engaged with him (I'm Flashing Frog)....

Capture.JPG

Edited by ian the worm

"I thought they donated them to refugees or something"

A response off a friend I know who admitted he had left his tent last year. 

While it is a fucking shame the festival has to deal with all of this, the fact is they do. Therefore, I think they need to be much more active in at least spreading the message about this. Is it just me, or is the leave not trace message getting quieter and quieter each year? I don't see it as much. It needs more explanation of the lengths the clean up process have to go to, wasting valuable money that could to go charity etc. 

It's pretty awful to see and I don't see why it's so hard to pack up your tent etc after a few days of partying. It should take 30 minutes tops - even less if you have a few friends around. 

One suggestion would be to take all the tents down and store them, put them back up next year and sell them like the other pre-erected areas of tents. People would pay for the convenience of not having to lug a tent around, put it up etc, plus they wouldn't have to then buy a new tent and continually adding to the mess. 

Could this be arranged on a larger scale? More pre-erected tents in one corner or area of the field? 

You'd still have to pay the guys 7.20 an hour to take them down and put them up but at least you would break the cycle and the price could come out of the the price you pay for the not making the effort.

8 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

One suggestion would be to take all the tents down and store them, put them back up next year and sell them like the other pre-erected areas of tents. People would pay for the convenience of not having to lug a tent around, put it up etc, plus they wouldn't have to then buy a new tent and continually adding to the mess. 

Could this be arranged on a larger scale? More pre-erected tents in one corner or area of the field? 

You are literally describing Camplight: http://www.camplight.co.uk/

1 hour ago, marcoolio said:

You are literally describing Camplight: http://www.camplight.co.uk/

Yeah I know about this, but how many tents do they offer? On their website it's not a lot.

It's a great idea, although it seems small scale. Couldn't they up the quantity and have it wider across the festival?

Better than the mess on the video and if people are willing to waste that money, perhaps it's done better in a cleaner, more organised way. 

Edited by Cornelius_Fudge

3 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Yeah I know about this, but how many tents do they offer? On their website it's not a lot.

It's a great idea, although it seems small scale. Couldn't they up the quantity and have it wider across the festival?

Better than the mess on the video and if people are willing to waste that money, perhaps it's done better in a cleaner, more organised way. 

Agree with this...... and at the moment, they only offer Pennards - which isn't suitable for all, as I've said on the 'Knobs' thread a few minutes ago. if they were to get fully behind the eco-traveller initiative - if you don't travel by car, you are having to carry everything there and back. having a pre-pitched tent is a huge bonus for coach travellers. It could be more widespread than it is at present.

I am always amazed what people leave behind , I myself have 4 , 8 man tents , two 6 man tents and two 4man tents ,and these tents are all new and range from £400 down to £200 and also top of the range tents too ,also got 2 trolleys , air beds camping chairs , electric air bed pump , 2 torches , 3 camping lights , and that don't include huge amounts of beer we find each year , I have not bought a new tent in over 12 years , everybody we go with takes a new tent home that somebody has left , we take all our stuff home and more my shed is full of camping stuff ,that would otherwise go to landfill , staying late on the Monday really does pay ,we always drink all our beer and end up taking home more beer than what we went with ,  it's like free  shopping , pick and choose whatever you want , shame to let it all go to landfill 

10 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

I don't know the numbers, but they expanded significantly this year, with a new area of pop-up tents. They were still advertising these in the week before the festival, so I think the supply currently is larger than the demand. 

Camplight also appears to be essentially a one man operation so I am not sure how quickly they can expand. In fact, I *think* the pop-up field was actually a different organisation that made use of the Camplight reservation system and marketing. 

I do recall having read somewhere that ME said his ideal festival would be exclusively pre-pitched tents. This probably explains why Camplight is in such a prime location.

46 minutes ago, PetePie said:

I am always amazed what people leave behind , I myself have 4 , 8 man tents , two 6 man tents and two 4man tents ,and these tents are all new and range from £400 down to £200 and also top of the range tents too ,also got 2 trolleys , air beds camping chairs , electric air bed pump , 2 torches , 3 camping lights , and that don't include huge amounts of beer we find each year , I have not bought a new tent in over 12 years , everybody we go with takes a new tent home that somebody has left , we take all our stuff home and more my shed is full of camping stuff ,that would otherwise go to landfill , staying late on the Monday really does pay ,we always drink all our beer and end up taking home more beer than what we went with ,  it's like free  shopping , pick and choose whatever you want , shame to let it all go to landfill 

Just curious - but what are the practicalities of packing up muddy tents that have been left behind? Do you just bundle them up and put them back up once you get home to clean them and check you've got all the relevant bits?

(I'm sticking with my pre-pitched caravan - easier and more comfortable)

18 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Exactly as you say. As long as you unpack, clean and dry within a day or so, the tent will be fine. 

Interesting. My brother and his family need a larger tent because the old-fashioned canvas four-man tent we lent them isn't quite big enough for them. They are also utterly broke and could never afford to buy a bigger one.

But, I wouldn't want to just help myself to something even if it had clearly been left behind - it would feel like stealing. I'd far rather quietly come to an arrangement with someone beforehand. 

At least I've got a year to think about it - pending tickets, of course.

(Thanks for the tip about long-drop hooks, BTW. I just used to keep my rucksack on when using the facilities but this tip was very helpful)

21 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Interesting. My brother and his family need a larger tent because the old-fashioned canvas four-man tent we lent them isn't quite big enough for them. They are also utterly broke and could never afford to buy a bigger one.

But, I wouldn't want to just help myself to something even if it had clearly been left behind - it would feel like stealing. I'd far rather quietly come to an arrangement with someone beforehand. 

At least I've got a year to think about it - pending tickets, of course.

(Thanks for the tip about long-drop hooks, BTW. I just used to keep my rucksack on when using the facilities but this tip was very helpful)

Honestly you're being too nice. If they've left their tent behind you should just take it. It's the right thing to do, good for the environment, the festival and you.

17 hours ago, zero000 said:

Honestly you're being too nice. If they've left their tent behind you should just take it. It's the right thing to do, good for the environment, the festival and you.

Agreed.  Plus if you reach agreement beforehand you're effectively giving them the all clear to leave their shit behind.  If I was 50/50 about packing up my tent (which I never am!) and someone came to me during the weekend and took that approach, damn right I'd be leaving it behind.

19 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Just curious - but what are the practicalities of packing up muddy tents that have been left behind? Do you just bundle them up and put them back up once you get home to clean them and check you've got all the relevant bits?

This year was the worst state my tent has ever been in without being completely written off*. I took it home and it took me an hour or two to clean (this involved scraping mud out of the porch area with a shovel, sweep then mop as well as a wipe down of a few bits outside). A couple of hours of my weekend in the sun whilst listening to some music seem well spent when considering the price and impact of buying a new tent each year (I appreciate you are not proposing this but just in context of the thread as  a whole).

*I've been through a few tents with irreparable damage, mainly due to someone falling on them but disposed of them as responsibly as possible.

I wish there was a way for the festival to sell some of those abandoned tents on to the rest of us.  It'd cost more than it was worth to do though. 

Part of Camplight's 'attraction' is that you have a guaranteed pitch in popular Pennard's.  For a lot of us that's actually a huge drawback.  If they were allowed/are able to set up another Camplight in a quieter area (near gate A for the coach people?), that would seem to be the way ahead. 

38 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I wish there was a way for the festival to sell some of those abandoned tents on to the rest of us.  It'd cost more than it was worth to do though. 

Part of Camplight's 'attraction' is that you have a guaranteed pitch in popular Pennard's.  For a lot of us that's actually a huge drawback.  If they were allowed/are able to set up another Camplight in a quieter area (near gate A for the coach people?), that would seem to be the way ahead. 

Yeah, I thought after michaels words a couple of years ago this would definitely happen. But expanding the pre-erected camping seems to have died a death. You're spot on, a campsite over near gate A would be really popular I bet. 

I know there's the moral issue of leaving no trace, but there were a lot of broken people on that site on Monday morning who maybe just needed that little more 'incentive' to clean up after themselves. Perhaps Glastonbury could promote the tidying up process a little. They could maybe have observers/stewards at the exits and if looks like a people are carry as much as the physically can then free tickets are randomly awarded, like a competition, lets say 500 tickets up for grabs. I work at a huge factory and they used to have competitions to promote car sharing because of traffic problems. On a random day once a month, vouchers were awarded to random full cars entering the site! Imaging leaving Glastonbury, completely broken, but you've gone the extra mile to leave no trace, then someone from Glastonbury taps you on the shoulder and says 'we really appreciate your effort, can we have you details for free tickets for next year", you'd be buzzing!

Edited by ten2doc
typo

Baffling...  My tent is years old but still in okay condition and I need it for the next festival. Some people really do have too much money.

As I come by bus I cannot bring home any additional stuff, though I did pick up about 15 extra pegs in my field, which are always useful.