YOU MADE A PLEDGE !

fullerlove

Did you stick to it?

Seems to me far to many don't really give a fcuk?

The sight of so many tents left and rubbish strewn across the site left me so disappointed with my fellow revellers.

What can we do to make this better?

Edited by fullerlove

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a small village which was left next to us in lime kiln. Normally lime kiln is where people go for some relative peace and quiet, which I associate with people taking their trash and gear at the end. Not this time unfortunately. I don't think it had anything to do with it being a muddy year for these guys either - wet wipes everywhere!

I took more tents home than I brought, disposed of more rubbish than I created (by a huge margin, I generated a quarter bin bag of landfill, but cleared up around where I was and got 4 big bags of landfill and 4 of recycled), I encouraged people to pack up and take home abandoned tents and equipment to use for future festivals also, so that probably got a handful of tents re-used.  I figure the best I can do is offset some of the selfishness myself, if you care enough about the issue step up and do more, put more in than you take out of everything in life and you leave the world just a tiny, tiny bit better than you found it.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

I took more tents home than I brought, disposed of more rubbish than I created (by a huge margin, I generated a quarter bin bag of landfill, but cleared up around where I was and got 4 big bags of landfill and 4 of recycled), I encouraged people to pack up and take home abandoned tents and equipment to use for future festivals also, so that probably got a handful of tents re-used.  I figure the best I can do is offset some of the selfishness myself, if you care enough about the issue step up and do more, put more in than you take out of everything in life and you leave the world just a tiny, tiny bit better than you found it.

I did pack a least six tents and gave them to the recycle folk in pennards.

I still cant grasp how or why someone thinks its ok to leave a tent and rubbish for others to remove after they have left.

I stuck to it. Absolutely everything I took with me or bought at the Festival either went home with me or ended up properly disposed of. Shouldn't even need a pledge for that and I don't understand why it's so difficult for people.

2 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

There was a small village which was left next to us in lime kiln. Normally lime kiln is where people go for some relative peace and quiet, which I associate with people taking their trash and gear at the end. Not this time unfortunately. I don't think it had anything to do with it being a muddy year for these guys either - wet wipes everywhere!

I think given the layout changes this year, the days of Lime Kiln being a quiet backwater are probably gone, although I don't think the layout changes in that area worked at all (too many routes with fences on both sides) so it could all change again.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I stuck to it. Absolutely everything I took with me or bought at the Festival either went home with me or ended up properly disposed of. Shouldn't even need a pledge for that and I don't understand why it's so difficult for people.

I think given the layout changes this year, the days of Lime Kiln being a quiet backwater are probably gone, although I don't think the layout changes in that area worked at all (too many routes with fences on both sides) so it could all change again.

Think you are right, the quiet is over. Shame. Probably best demonstrated by two guys returning from their night at 5am Sunday morning, shouting fuck you at each other then having a fight, almost right on top of our tent. It sounded like a tradition of theirs. Trouble is, you don't want to shout at these people in case they really are in a rage.

I left the site late on Monday and was appalled at how many tents had been left. In certain campsites it was almost as though no-one had taken their tents home with them. Thankfully there was a group going round collecting tents and donating them to the refugee guys at the top of old Woodsies, so we gave them a hand. 

It was lovely and dry all day Monday so it wasn't even as if the mud was a viable excuse for leaving stuff behind. Easy enough to clean things up with a few wet wipes (and then dispose of all rubbish appropriately). 

certainly stuck to it.....used the loos at all times, kept my rubbish in a bag in my tent and took it to the right place when leaving the site, didnt leave a thing behind......clear a lot didnt stick to such pledges however from the amount of stuff just left standing I saw as I was leaving (and I wasnt a late leaver, it was 8am!)

Going to be fair to people and say that, for whatever reason, the festival site was cleaner throughout the week than I have ever seen it.  Sure it was a shitpit in the camping fields at the end, but through the week I saw bins used right, less litter on the floors and people taking responsibility for themselves on the whole.

No fuckin' litter - No fuckin' excuse

Didn't drop a thing and picked up a few odds and ends dropped by others, so my net impact was positive.  But clearly I was in a minority.

Saw some illicit pissers as well and yelled at them, or pretended to take a photo of them.

I stuck to my pledge and also cleaned up other rubbish around my tent that wasn't mine. I even had an empty bottle to spit toothpaste into after brushing, which I then took home with me. Don't understand how some people can be so ignorant to just leave a mess. There was a group beside us in Darble that juts got up and walked out with practically nothing, disgusting behaviour.

Yep totally, didn't leave a thing. We camped in Bushy this year as couldn't get into Dairy, it was so much cleaner than dairy is (and friendlier) used bins at all times, didn't drop fag ends. I have to agree with @Spindlesdidn't notice much litter anywhere really. But I was mainly round the T&C areas & Avalon. It defo helps when its muddy and people aren't sitting on the grass, they get up and forget their plates. Hate that. So grim.

I met a guy midday Monday who was inspecting the clearly vacated tents. He mentioned that he's always on a shoe string budget and takes a couple of litres of whiskey and some apple juice to the festival. About 2 hours later I saw him with a bunch of tents packed and stacked - he smiled and said, about 300 quid worth that, just paid for my ticket. Great stuff. Between the foragers and the guys at woodsies I hope they did well.

Oh, and one of the stewards said that people leaving their tent with human filth inside it is more common than you'd think. Wish there was a way of finding out who these people are and giving them a 5 year festival ban or something.

Edited by Jugtanion

9 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

Oh, and one of the stewards said that people leaving their tent with human filth inside it is more common than you'd think. Wish there was a way of finding out who these people are and giving them a 5 year festival ban or something.

The mind boggles!

Left nothing but footprints and memories - as we do every year.

Pissing remains an issue but I actually saw less than previous years.  Worst example has to be the bushes on Pyramid road that separates the field from Cider Bus....every time we passed there were blokes and girls nipping in and out and we clearly saw at least 2 girls squatting while their other halves kept guard.  Disgusting.

It's disgusting the amount of people who left tents, chairs & didn't even have decency to put there rubbish in bin bags. Just leaving cans etc strewn across the fields. 

My group left no trace, but I don't know how others can be encouraged/forced to follow suit.  It's a bit of an impossible task, they don't have the man power to mark tents against ticket numbers. 

I'd love to see it change as its already a huge task to clean the site, but in the 5 years I've been it only seems to becoming a bigger issue.