Tipi Village

Brad2434

I've done 3 Glastonburys now and i'm pretty sick of camping in a tent and loved the look of the tepee's this year. How hard is it to get them? Do they come available to buy the same time as the tickets or released at a later date? And finally, say if 20 of us got tickets and wanted tepees next to each other would this be possible?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

Edited by Brad2434

Yes, I recall they sold out within a few seconds as well.

They're a popular choice, and I've always wanted to stay in one, but I'm only ever there by myself and you'd need a group for that. I'd happily share with three others here, if anyone's interested.

3 hours ago, Brad2434 said:

I've done 3 Glastonburys now and i'm pretty sick of camping in a tent and loved the look of the tepee's this year. How hard is it to get them? Do they come available to buy the same time as the tickets or released at a later date? And finally, say if 20 of us got tickets and wanted tepees next to each other would this be possible?

I've never understood why people want to pay vast sums of money for a glorified tent when renting a caravan put on site for you at a cheaper rate is so much more comfortable. Doesn't seem logical to me. You still have to bring your own bedding etc.

1 hour ago, JanieM28 said:

I've never understood why people want to pay vast sums of money for a glorified tent when renting a caravan put on site for you at a cheaper rate is so much more comfortable. Doesn't seem logical to me. You still have to bring your own bedding etc.

Location maybe? How much are the caravans if you don't mind me asking? 

7 hours ago, Brad2434 said:

Feel exactly the same, maybe it was the mud and the struggle to get the wellies off everytime but I just can't see myself coping in a tent again! 

Interested to know people's prices on campervans. 

We've been considering this, main downside to me is that there is no car park for it, so you still have to lug your gear through site from the nearest gate, for 1k you basically get a tipi and a great location and that's it. I'm thinking worthy view may be a better option, slight trade off on location but better facilities and a nearby car park.

having said that if you've not done a pre pitched camper/ caravan this is worth considering, about the same price as a tipi, further away but much more comfortable and you can park next to it. We've done it the last two years but just thinking about a change of we get tickets next year. That may be in some way down to the issues getting in there this year, but hopefully that won't hallen again.

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Location maybe? How much are the caravans if you don't mind me asking? 

Our 4-berth caravan was £875 (I think a Tipi at Worthy View was £975). 

However, we also opt for an awning for £125 extra because it effectively doubles the size of your living area and, as we smoke, we can do it under cover. Good for late night get-together too although we didn't have one this year. People can sleep in the awning too as well as put a small tent behind it.

Don't forget you also need to buy a caravan pass for £100.

The hired caravans are usually in E25 which is the furthest away from the Hill of Death but the extra little bit of walking through a couple of fields is hardly taxing. It also means you're closest to the exit gate when leaving the campervan site.

Feel free to ask anything else. :)

P.S. Bear in mind that two of the beds in our caravan were kid-sized so you'd need to make sure you ask for one suitable for four adults.

Edited by JanieM28

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. We're likely to do one of the pre-erected or camper van options as it'll be the first time we leave out son at home (with Nanna) so for peace of mind we would like to be able to get on/off site quickly. Plus we'll travel down Thursday afternoon so there's always less space for tents then obvs. 

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. We're likely to do one of the pre-erected or camper van options as it'll be the first time we leave out son at home (with Nanna) so for peace of mind we would like to be able to get on/off site quickly. Plus we'll travel down Thursday afternoon so there's always less space for tents then obvs. 

Ah, well in that case, it sounds like a caravan is in order - you don't want to be manoeuvring a campervan if inexperienced especially if you need to make a quick get away to get back home. 

If there are only two of you, then a 2-berth would be cheaper too. I think @clarkete had a 2-berth from the same company as us so you could ask him how much his was.

12 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Ah, well in that case, it sounds like a caravan is in order - you don't want to be manoeuvring a campervan if inexperienced especially if you need to make a quick get away to get back home. 

If there are only two of you, then a 2-berth would be cheaper too. I think @clarkete had a 2-berth from the same company as us so you could ask him how much his was.

What company was it out of interest?

thanks

6 of us stayed in one this year for this first time, after camping all previous years, won't be staying in them again..

The que for the showers (excluding wednesday) was at least an hour, with 20 people ques an hour before they even opened up, the time it takes you to que up you could walk to the lost vagueness or hippie showers, get washed and have breakfast from pretty much anywhere one site, only positive from the showers though was that the where always spotless and warm

The actual tipi itself is fairly small once everyone and there gear is in.

If it's wet and muddy like this year the things stinks and gets covered in mud, there was a massive puddle of mud at the entrance.

Apart from The Park, your miles from anywhere on site, so if you forget to bring something during the day, you've got a long and time consuming walk back.

You do save the hassle of carrying and setting up a tent and the toilets are also spotless but there the only real positives I had from them, glad we done it just to experience a different side of the Festival but back to Oxylers next year! So much more fun, far better location and less hassle

A couple of my friends got a tipi (they were staying with 4 others). One is 6 months pregnant so they were very organised when it came to sorting it out. They have no special ties with the festival organisers either, just ordinary punters, so it's possible.

We got a tipi (and I am definitely not a celebrity!!), shared between 5 of us. I would personally recommend it for several reasons: 1. it was roomy: we had 2 double airbeds and a single airbed, plus room to leave our stuff lying around. Also it was so nice to stand up in it! 2. there was room outside the tipi to set up some chairs and have a smoke 3. completely waterproof, and none of your stuff getting soaked come the morning if it was up against the side of a regular tent. 4. Your own toilets and showers (although there were negatives about that, see below). 5. Your own cafe open 24/7. 6. Good location, a stone's throw to the park, and a few minutes walk to the Stone Circle. 7. The obvious convenience of not having to carry/set up/take back down a tent was a big bonus too. 8. You might argue that there is a lower likelihood of tent thefts seeing as there is 24/7 security, but obviously if a less-than-savoury character were to get a tipi themselves, then your chances are somewhat higher!

There were a few negatives though, obviously the price (£975 split 5 ways I think if memory serves me right). The toilets: we started with around 12 between ~100 tipis, but we lost a few due to broken doors/steps. There was a river of mud to cross to get them too come Friday, so it was quite unpleasant. The shower queues were insane (well over an hour long most mornings), so I never used them, though my friends said they were very nice. And because we were near the park/arcadia, noise levels were obviously quite high. Lastly, our "porch" was seriously muddy/soggy come Friday morning, that was a bit of a downer.

To the OP - if there is a big group of you, they do try and put you together, but its first come first served. I would say if you arrive by Wednesday 6pm you'll have no problem being put together.

7 hours ago, sisco said:

thanks

We use a local company based in Bruton. 

http://www.adcaravanhire.co.uk/

Lovely couple who have been doing it for donkey's years. They're getting on a bit and are delightfully honest, helpful and old school. They make me think of my mum and dad. :) As you'll see, their website is fairly simple but don't be deterred by the lack of flashy stuff.

Edited by JanieM28

2 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

We use a local company based in Bruton. 

http://www.adcaravanhire.co.uk/

Lovely couple who have been doing it for donkey's years. They're getting on a bit and are delightfully honest, helpful and old school. They make me think of my mum and dad. :) As you'll see, their website is fairly simple but don't be deterred by the lack of flashy stuff.

Thanks very much.  Out of interest how much did u pay? And what size?

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:14 AM, sisco said:

thanks

It's really tricky, as the prices vary a bit.  I paid more than @JanieM28 for a four berth, but she's been a customer of theirs for years, also I think mine had two double beds.
Also, whereas she helps everyone by saying who she gets em from, I won't write it here as I've really struggled to find one ot rent sometimes - this year a firm I used before put their price  up by 300 quid for the second time in three years :( 
I'm sure she or I can PM it if you need though.