David Bowie Tribute at The Park

Ommadawn

Anyone make the trip to The Park on Saturday? I had no interest in watching Adele so took the opportunity to slide over to Arcadia to watch their show and then on to The Park to see the David Bowie Tribute.  I'm really glad I did as it was one of the best moments for me this year. However, I've just watched it on the television and felt it didn't really capture the moment. There were a lot of people who left early. From the people I spoke to. some were expecting to see the David Bowie set from 2000 and others were expecting a Bowie sing along.

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Anyone make the trip to The Park on Saturday? I had no interest in watching Adele so took the opportunity to slide over to Arcadia to watch their show and then on to The Park to see the David Bowie Tribute.  I'm really glad I did as it was one of the best moments for me this year. However, I've just watched it on the television and felt it didn't really capture the moment. There were a lot of people who left early. From the people I spoke to. some were expecting to see the David Bowie set from 2000 and others were expecting a Bowie sing along.

despite it very clearly being advertised as something else entirely. silly people

Couldn't hear it so left about 15mins in. Park field full of usual BBC types having self important media bollocks cocaine conversations between themselves.

I know you can't ask people not to talk when we're at festival surrounded by all that noise and commotion but when an orchestra is playing a quiet piece could they not just bugger off elsewhere.

Sadly this combined with the low volume ruined it for our group.

4 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Couldn't hear it so left about 15mins in. Park field full of usual BBC types having self important media bollocks cocaine conversations between themselves.

I know you can't ask people not to talk when we're at festival surrounded by all that noise and commotion but when an orchestra is playing a quiet piece could they not just bugger off elsewhere.

Sadly this combined with the low volume ruined it for our group.

Yeah, I felt the majority of the people were there due to how it was billed as to what was actually happening.

2 minutes ago, DAVA said:

Missed it and was gutted, I was expecting the 2000 set though so I was probably lucky.

Was this actually shown anywhere in it's entirety? I heard a couple tracks in the Pyramid on Sunday afternoon but was there anything anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Was this actually shown anywhere in it's entirety? I heard a couple tracks in the Pyramid on Sunday afternoon but was there anything anywhere else.

I don't think there was tbh, I looked out for it but missed it if there was. I know a few smaller venues did their own little tributes, but nothing major on the big stages I don't think.

4 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

i don't think it was shown in it's entirety. definitely saw a few clips being shown between acts on the Pyramid (along with the so awful i had to walk away choreographed dance to Starman before ELO). was the entire set ever shown on TV or just the short version that's on Youtube?

I went - didn't know what to expect, kinda enjoyed it but was literally falling asleep on my feet due to general knackeredness and being full of a cold.  Loads of chattering going on which was off-putting - one group of students talking about art and proclaiming "this is art!"  To which I responded, "yes and you're missing it, can you keep it down please."  You obviously expect a bit of chat at a festival but it felt disrespectful.

I had a feeling there were a lot of baffled folks walking away at the end.  And for me there could have been no better tribute to David Bowie than a few thousand people saying, "what the fuck was that?"

The lights looked beautiful when I saw them testing them, but it was a performance of a piece by a totally different composer which only had a passing resemblance to the Heroes album.

No wonder people were confused, it wasn't a Bowie tribute so much as a Phillip Glass performance. Bowie should barely have got a mention in the billing. Even the subject of this thread has the emphasis wrong.

I didn't turn up in the end, knowing my own physical limits, I was in bed before the headliners started and felt absolutely amazing on Sunday! If I had turned up, I probably would have enjoyed it, but only because I'd listened to it a couple of times in the lead up to the festival.

Dance Bowie Dance in Stonebridge was where it was at for celebrating his life at Glastonbury.

2 hours ago, ICGenie said:

And for me there could have been no better tribute to David Bowie than a few thousand people saying, "what the fuck was that?"

Call me conventional in my thinking, but playing music actually written by David Bowie is a pretty good way to do it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats