Improved diversity of attendees

budvar

Yes, I remarked on this to my brother. Definitely more non-whites in the crowd, also seemed to be a slight preponderance of females?

My only thoughts on this given the random nature of getting a ticket is that it represents more people from those communities wanting to attend which can only be a good thing.

Yeah this is one that's getting better. With such varied music now it should hopefully improve. Also heard lots of other Eastern European and Australian accents.

i remember when I first went it was almost like the the only black people where people working at the carabean grill. Perhaps it's also historically been more white given that it's such a rural location?

21 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

My only thoughts on this given the random nature of getting a ticket is that it represents more people from those communities wanting to attend which can only be a good thing.

Agreed. I think the organisers should be congratulated for the efforts they've made to make the festival more appealing to different groups; while there was plenty wrong with Kanye's performance I think booking him was a great move.

On 6/29/2016 at 9:06 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I noticed a slight difference too. Not like walking around Manchester, let alone somewhere as diverse as London, but a definite improvement on 10 years ago.

It's a slow process, but I'm glad it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Gets a bit better every year and I'd go so far as to say this was the biggest step forward in diversity I've seen yet.  I'm a midlander so going to Glastonbury normally makes me feel like I'm visiting the whitest place on earth.  Let's keep it up, yet another positive for this year's festival, truly was a vintage year.

On 29/06/2016 at 9:06 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I noticed a slight difference too. Not like walking around Manchester, let alone somewhere as diverse as London, but a definite improvement on 10 years ago.

fun fact Manchester is actually been stated as the 3rd most diverse city in the world on languages spoken and is ahead of London would you believe it??

Edit got it a bit wrong but not about the languages spoken bit lol

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/200-languages-manchester-revealed-as-most-linguistically-diverse-city-in-western-europe-8760225.html

Edited by shoptildrop

7 minutes ago, bsolxiv said:

Was discussing this at the fest, anybody think of any reasons why GF is 95% white?

According to the last census 87.17% of the population recorded as white so it's not really surprising to see that reflected at the festival. 
Charm x

10 minutes ago, Charm said:

According to the last census 87.17% of the population recorded as white so it's not really surprising to see that reflected at the festival. 
Charm x

Fair enough, though my 95% figure was a guess. Still a 5% population and12.83% population is a pretty big difference.

Can't say I noticed a difference, I'm afraid, and after talking about this issue at length last year I was somewhat looking out for it.

I overheard a group of girls talking about this on one morning and they said something like "Glastonbury is basically racist" - they were trying to be funny but it made the point.

At one point you could make the argument that musically Glasto never catered for people of diverse backgrounds and I suppose that part has improved. Although black music up at Silver Hayes and world music scattered around is a drop in the ocean relative to the vast offering.

My gut feeling is that Glasto started as a hippy festival, and retains that core identity at heart, and hippy culture (barring excursions into certain strains of world music) was always a White thing.

Glastonbury has it's roots in rock / indie music, predominantly played and listened to by white people. Remember the furore around booking Jay Z, Noel Gallagher saying something along the lines of the festival leaving its roots. It takes a while before an event with that identity turns the corner.  Can anyone comment on the diversity of the Womad crowd? I've never been but all the people I know who go are white, middle class and over 50. Whoever it is that goes, at least they pick all of their shit up at the end of the festival and take it home with them!

Being a Brummie I'm used to seeing large groups of people from all over the World, but I did talk to my girlfriend about the crowd seeming a lot younger and ethnically diverse than they came across on TV. It's cool that the festival is becoming more attractive to different groups of people. 

Was full of Scousers, yet hardly any Mancs for some reason.

Maybe the diversity from a race point of view is actually in line with the general population. With me coming from a pretty diverse area, it just seems a little alien to what I am used to.

What did piss me off a little was the xenophobic attitude of some of the local residents in Glastonbury. We might have broad northern accents, but that does not automatically mean we are going to run off from your chippy without paying or rob you at knife point in the street.

Edited by eastynh