Spot The Difference

stuartbert two hats

40 minutes ago, Bradders said:

No more flagtopia, it's now just an empty hill. I guess nobody goes there since they put the Glastonbury sign up a few years back.

I thought this was more likely to because it was the least important thing to do given the weather conditions impacting on the site build, not sure though.

Edit: Monsieur 2 hats beat me to it!

Edited by BrokenDown

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, BrokenDown said:

I thought this was more likely to because it was the least important thing to do given the weather conditions impacting on the site build, not sure though.

Edit: Monsieur 2 hats beat me to it!

Also potentially due to the new bonfires and fireworks along the southern edge?

24 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Also potentially due to the new bonfires and fireworks along the southern edge?

Good point, hadn't considered that, if that is the case then I hope they can find a way to do both in future years, flagtopia looks it's best from a distance I think, looked a bit bare this year.

Fireworks were cracking though!

22 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

We had to litterpick outside it, and on Sunday and Monday mornings we also had to litterpick inside it too. Utterly revolting - ankle-deep in NOS balloons and canisters, and the only place I found bottles of piss too. That, and the chap that runs it seems to be utterly in contempt of those of us who get up at 5am to clean up the shit his punters leave behind on the ground, and for the second year running was clearly uncomfortable with litterpickers resting inside his venue during our break - obviously we made the place look untidy - how ironic!

I went in there once in 2014, I think, to buy a drink. The barman spent the whole time acting "too cool for school" before having a right go at me for not tipping him, before he'd even given me my change. I didn't bother going back.

I don't think he grasped the notion that bar staff are tipped on their friendly service, something he obviously didn't possess.

The expansion of the opening bonfires and fireworks displays worked well I think. The last few years it had been a right crush in the stone circle and last week it was so easy to find a good vantage point. It actually felt like whoever wanted to watch could in safety.

22 hours ago, Bradders said:

No more flagtopia, it's now just an empty hill. I guess nobody goes there since they put the Glastonbury sign up a few years back.

That might have been due to the flag geezers running out of part of the flag kit they need/use (I can't remember what it's called, they did tell me), which I know caused a number of flags (I don't know how many) to not get erected this year that should have been. The running out of the kit was due to the weather, cos they couldn't get it on site.

I'm not sure where didn't get its flags or even if its the same flag crew for all of the site (tho I think it is), but I know not all of the flags were erected.

I'm sure the crashed rocket in silver Hayes moved location, and the lasers used to be installed in a statue of a person, which I think changed to animals of some description this year. Gully moved location and I think BBC introducing and pussy parlure swapped positions. Don't recall seeing the wooden arrow before at the junction between pyramid and other.

On 29/06/2016 at 8:46 PM, found home in 2009 said:

was the ship part of Wow still there? Never noticed it and used to loads of people dancing outside for the boat party when I walk passed, which I didn't see this year, though that may have been down to the weather

There was an outdoor area but it wasn't a ship, don't recall what it was though.

A strange spot the difference this one, but had there always been so many undercover security/police at Arcadia? I saw a right few people with earpieces in communicating with each other watching the crowd very closely. I've never noticed this in the past, I only presume they were looking for people trying to sell 

22 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

A strange spot the difference this one, but had there always been so many undercover security/police at Arcadia? I saw a right few people with earpieces in communicating with each other watching the crowd very closely. I've never noticed this in the past, I only presume they were looking for people trying to sell 

are you sure they were old bill and not just the festival's crowd control? I'd guess that night-time there needs it to be done in a different way to daylight.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

are you sure they were old bill and not just the festival's crowd control? I'd guess that night-time there needs it to be done in a different way to daylight.

I couldn't be sure as there was no obvious signs of official badges or anything, alot of the Arcadia stewards at Arcadia merch on, these people were very smartly dressed, top of the range outdoor gear etc, they just had a different look about them, but of course in not sure if they were police or stewards. It was just something I had never really seen before 

On 28/06/2016 at 10:23 PM, kaytee... said:

The whole thing with woodsies being closed for hospitality proper threw me. Was much nicer walking that way from Darble towards the pyramid via John Peel though instead of walking through Silver Hayes.

A lovely improvement, to my mind.  Made tracking round the site quicker for those camped in the NW campsites, that route through the woods was never overcrowded, even at peak times and in sunny years that's going to be a real haven just a few minutes away from the virtually shade free pyramid field (should be a boon for @FuzzyDunlop).

On 29/06/2016 at 7:05 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe that was a casualty of the late build? I noticed on the webcam that the flags at Other appeared at the last minute, maybe Sunday or Monday. I'm guessing that some elements were simply excluded due to the weather conditions.

This for sure.  I wandered round with a campmate late Wednesday morning, then with others later and saw whole bars appear, the Gully wasn't fully built before the weekend (and never reached the standard of build that it saw last year) and quite a few other bits and pieces weren't as decorated as you'd normally expect.  I think they did a grand job overall considering the conditions they were working in during the run up to the festival, mind.

55 minutes ago, Spindles said:

A lovely improvement, to my mind.  Made tracking round the site quicker for those camped in the NW campsites, that route through the woods was never overcrowded, even at peak times and in sunny years that's going to be a real haven just a few minutes away from the virtually shade free pyramid field (should be a boon for @FuzzyDunlop).

I did like the wood and mentioned it would be great to relax if it gets too hot. It was sunday when I went into it, but if T Day goes well, I look forward to getting some shade there next June.

5 hours ago, gerardfenton18 said:

flagtopia was gone from 2014, wasnt there last year.

also really missed half of the track that led in from gate d

That totally messed up the field didn't it,  no chance of camping there, shows how difficult the build must of been as I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose. 
Charm x