Drink Spiking

Blue Jeans

Hi All,

This year on sunday night in shangri la, some guy offered me a sip from his tartan hip flask. Shouldn't have taken it, but I did. 

After that the night is hazy, but I remember everything throbbing and spinning. I reckon he'd given me something else cos it didn't feel the same as being drunk and I hadn't had that much anyway

Any ideas what it was or who would have done something like this?

Thanks

One assumes it could have been Rohypnol, GHB, or Ket. It could also have been very strong alcohol such as absinthe or even home-distilled stuff of dubious origin.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm genuinely not wanting at all to victim-blame, as you're obviously quite upset by this, but it's generally not a good idea to accept unidentified alcohol from a stranger - you wouldn't do this in a pub or bar in the 'real world' I hope, and Glastonbury is no different. We'd all like to think it's OK to do it, but sadly there are some arseholes around, so it's not. 

Hopefully you're now feeling much better and are suffering no ill-effects. If you are, please contact your GP. If you have a description of the perpetrator, you could put in a police report too, in case it's a known offender.

Drink spiking really pisses me off. How some people find this somehow amusing is just beyond me. It's at least assault and should possibly be classed as attempted murder. And no, I'm not being hysterical. I have a heart condition. Slip me some coke or speed etc. and I'm in serious increased danger of having an attack. Plus you never know others true mental state. Really really low behaviour.

2 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'm genuinely not wanting at all to victim-blame, as you're obviously quite upset by this, but it's generally not a good idea to accept unidentified alcohol from a stranger 

I completely get your position and accept a very large amount of the responsibility! The only reason I thought it was ok was because he'd just leant me a couple of quid for late night spring rolls. Still not an excuse and I shouldn't have done it and at least 50% of the blame is my own.

Would it really have been rohypnol? He just walked off after leading me to think it was something else? I dunno

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Drink spiking really pisses me off. How some people find this somehow amusing is just beyond me. It's at least assault and should possibly be classed as attempted murder. And no, I'm not being hysterical. I have a heart condition. Slip me some coke or speed etc. and I'm in serious increased danger of having an attack. Plus you never know others true mental state. Really really low behaviour.

I'm convinced my mates slipped me something during the Chems in 2011, I was amped up like never before after and went totally off it with my family and friends. I'm not a nasty drunk and I've honestly never felt that amped up off drink before. 

I don't partake in naughties (never have) but my friends do and I think they thought it'd be funny to see how I reacted. They were all very quiet in the morning when I said I thought i'd been spiked.

One of my friends who wasn't there that year but has been to the last few always jokes he's slipped me something. He fails to understand how unimpressed I am about it.

I was spiked at V festival ( yeah yeah I know) in 97. I was with my husband and we were hanging out with a group of people for a while. Stupidly took a bit of something from them. I was wasted and confused..went to the toilet, and before I know it, one of the guys is trying to push his way in with me. I told him to F off, and he did, but not after trying. It was very weird and horrible. Lesson learned...

There's also a chance it could have been mushroom juice - I've been offered that before (by a purple wizard). He tried my tequila and offered this milky, slightly greenish liquid. I said no - his pupils were larger than dinner plates and was utterly wasted.

Could have been innocent rather than evil.

9 hours ago, Blue Jeans said:

I completely get your position and accept a very large amount of the responsibility! The only reason I thought it was ok was because he'd just leant me a couple of quid for late night spring rolls. Still not an excuse and I shouldn't have done it and at least 50% of the blame is my own.

Would it really have been rohypnol? He just walked off after leading me to think it was something else? I dunno

Certainly not 50% of the blame is yours, even if it was ill advised, just as wearing a short skirt doesn't mean you're 50% responsible for rape. I gave some cider to people at the festival several times without a second thought that I might be encouraging potentially dangerous behaviour.

I think sharing supplies with strangers is one of the lovely things about the festival, maybe it would of been a good idea to ask what he was giving you, like another poster said he might of thought he was doing you a favour. 
Charm x