Booking "luxury accommodation" at Worthy View

glastogirl88

Is the hill aided by wooden steps and hand rails or is it just a hill?

Was it particularly bad this year as opposed to previous years because of the mud?

Seriously thinking about Worthy View next year as opposed to a motorhome again.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chrislfc said:

Is the hill aided by wooden steps and hand rails or is it just a hill?

Was it particularly bad this year as opposed to previous years because of the mud?

There were steps and handrails. Although they were quite narrow so it was very slow going up at night.

On a dry festival the hill would be fine.

Hill from strummerville to site has steps and rail it isn't that bad on its own.  What was hard work was walking up after 12 hours off wading through mud and drinking . Plus it's all up hill from se corner to strummerville.  On Friday after muse took us an hour plus to get back to tent but that was hitting gridlock by entrance to se corner.  I would definitely do it again though . 

On 4 July 2016 at 5:43 PM, chrislfc said:

May I ask why you would prefer a 'posh' tent to a motorhome? We hire a caravan which is set up and ready for us, so we are able to just turn up in our car with our stuff and park next to it.

Presumably, at WV, you still have to walk from a car park with your bedding etc. 

Was it that the motorhome was awkward to drive a long way, or was it uncomfortable to live in for some reason?

Hope you don't mind me asking. Just curious.

1 hour ago, JanieM28 said:

May I ask why you would prefer a 'posh' tent to a motorhome? We hire a caravan which is set up and ready for us, so we are able to just turn up in our car with our stuff and park next to it.

Presumably, at WV, you still have to walk from a car park with your bedding etc. 

Was it that the motorhome was awkward to drive a long way, or was it uncomfortable to live in for some reason?

Janie, where do you hire these caravans from?

What's the view of the site like from WV (probably a stupid question I know)?

I ask as we always camp up on Big Ground, and I don't think there's a feeling as magical as waking up on the Thursday morning, stepping out of your tent and having that wonderful madness spread out in front of you as the  first thing you see.

I can imagine the walk up the hill to WV, and not being in the crush of tents you get on the main site, but not having that view as the backdrop to my morning cuppa and smoke would just be too much!

On 6/29/2016 at 0:10 PM, majormajormajor said:

To the people who think the hill to WV is horrendous -- do you exercise normally? Just curious - I had no issues whatsoever with the hill. It only takes five minutes to get up it.

As a return question, I would ask to the people who have no issues whatsoever with the hill - do you partake of any, um, indulgences, that might make one slightly lazy and disinclined to make much physical effort?  Possibly accompanied by a desire for kitkats and pickled onion monster munch? Getting up to Strummerville at 4am in that frame of mind is...challenging :)

57 minutes ago, Quark said:

As a return question, I would ask to the people who have no issues whatsoever with the hill - do you partake of any, um, indulgences, that might make one slightly lazy and disinclined to make much physical effort?  Possibly accompanied by a desire for kitkats and pickled onion monster munch? Getting up to Strummerville at 4am in that frame of mind is...challenging :)

Oh, come on! The walk up the hill to Strummerville is about 50 metres!

4 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

50 metres too far at that stage :D

To be fair it's not that bad.  My judgement is clouded by a bad experience last year.  Up there on Sunday night at about 3.30, wandered back across site to camp at Big Ground.  Where I realised I'd left my phone on the floor in Strummerville.  Cue a trudge back across site to not find my phone, and then back across again to go to bed.  Not amused by the time I finally passed out :)

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Quark said:

What's the view of the site like from WV (probably a stupid question I know)?

I ask as we always camp up on Big Ground, and I don't think there's a feeling as magical as waking up on the Thursday morning, stepping out of your tent and having that wonderful madness spread out in front of you as the  first thing you see.

I can imagine the walk up the hill to WV, and not being in the crush of tents you get on the main site, but not having that view as the backdrop to my morning cuppa and smoke would just be too much!

You can't actually see the site from your tent... you get the view as you walk out of the accomodation area and turn left to walk down the hill

HZKnMuz.jpg

As for the hill, its nowhere near as bad as everyone says. I had to pop back up during the early evening on a couple of nights.  It 
takes no more than 5 minutes from the gate to the bottom of the accomodation area.  

At 4/5am its a slightly more sedate pace.  However with the concrete steps and hand rail, it was easier going up that section, than it was walking up to the gate beside Strummerville.

46 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Think it depends on your level of fitness, I found it really hard getting up to Strummerville last year, but saying that I find walking uphill tiring anyway, probably did more walking at Glastonbury than I did the rest of the year, I'm really unfit. 
Charm x

On 28/06/2016 at 8:17 PM, sunnydaysblue said:

To be honest for the price you can book a lovely bed and breakfast nearby. I always get annoyed about how much they charge at Worthy View

How would you get to and from the site? Easy enough to get taxis or are there bus services that run late night? 

My parents couldnt do 4-5 nights in a tent, dont think they'd be able to walk afterwards. 

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:34 AM, glastogirl88 said:

Thanks so much for all your replies everybody, I think that's the best thing about this forum - lots of different views points and experiences! I'm liking the bed and breakfast idea!! As I mentioned I would like to take my mum who is 63 and although not averse to camping and roughing it, I don't think she could cope that well with conditions like this year. I think it would take away the enjoyment somewhat. The hill neither of us would have a problem with. We just want to be warm, clean, safe, comfortable etc and to be honest don't mind paying too much for it. Lots of helpful ideas. Thank you. 

Have you considered hiring a camper van or caravan? I believe a lot of companies deliver them to site so you just tip up in your car and park next to it. We gave up tenting a few Glastos ago and take our own camper every year now. Its lovely to go back at night and put the kettle on! 

This year we were pitched right at the back of the campervan fields and for us it was only a 15 minutes walk from the furthest point down into the theatre fields.  

1 minute ago, muddychick said:

Have you considered hiring a camper van or caravan? I believe a lot of companies deliver them to site so you just tip up in your car and park next to it. We gave up tenting a few Glastos ago and take our own camper every year now. Its lovely to go back at night and put the kettle on! 

This year we were pitched right at the back of the campervan fields and for us it was only a 15 minutes walk from the furthest point down into the theatre fields.  

That's something our group has been thinking about. How hard is it to get campervan tix anyway? 

11 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

That's something our group has been thinking about. How hard is it to get campervan tix anyway? 

I got mine the day they went on sale. I didn't have any issue but I was right on the ball as soon as they were released.

You have a choice between two fields as well, east or west side of the festival. West is nearer Park but I believe much smaller.   

3 minutes ago, muddychick said:

I got mine the day they went on sale. I didn't have any issue but I was right on the ball as soon as they were released.

You have a choice between two fields as well, east or west side of the festival. West is nearer Park but I believe much smaller.   

So you have to be quick but it's not the mess it is for general tickets? Thanks!

I have family that stay in a B&B in Shepton Mallet and use the shuttle to Gate A. They've young kids and aren't arsed about seeing all of headliners set and late night high jinx. Last shuttle is 11pm apparently. They love it. 

Not for me but each to their own.

3 hours ago, MikeJ86 said:

How would you get to and from the site? Easy enough to get taxis or are there bus services that run late night? 

It's a faff but doable if you stay in Glastonbury town.

There's an official shuttle bus between Glastonbury town centre and Gate A that goes every hour (every half hour at busy times) until about 2.30am each day during the festival.  It costs £4 each way per person.  However, it's got more popular in recent years and is often full.

There's also an official festival taxi rank just off the A361 about 10 minutes walk from Gate A, and about 15 minutes walk from Gate D.  A taxi from Glastonbury town costs about £10 one way (more after midnight), but if there's more than one of you, it's probably worth arranging for a local cab company to collect you from your B&B each morning.

Obviously you'll need to carry all your stuff for the day, and the hike to/from Gate A is quite wearing!

Finally, it's worth bearing in mind that many B&Bs get booked up a long time in advance (i.e. before ticket day), so you could be out of pocket if you don't manage to get a ticket!

13 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Few different reasons but mainly cost and convenience.

We hired a motorhome for £1250 between 4 of us this year and the main benefits are cold drinks, a shower, a toilet and a bed.

We made a bite to eat in the morning too but that was generally it for the day as far as cooking goes.

If you consider that you can have a shower and use clean toilets up in Worthy View and keep a decent cooler box in your car packed with ice and frozen drinks then the benefits are starting to be less obvious. Your drink and food could be stored in the box for a few days and you can always buy food & drink on site if needs be. 

I used to have a tourer caravan but it is a bit damaged at the moment so hiring a motorhome was our option this year.(plus we couldn't fit 4 in the tourer) The aspect of hiring them is a bit of a ball ache when you consider the incidentals and insurance that can sometimes increase the cost too.

Don't get me wrong it's a nice luxury to have but for the time spent in it and the money it costs it's probably just as well to have a pod for £350 between 2 of us.

I've camped in tents for many years and then 'graduated' to caravans and motorhomes since 2010 just for the ease of getting in and out of West Campervan field Tuesday and Monday as there's never been any hassle getting on and off site but I gather that WV is just as easy with regards the parking etc so that might be an option. Plus you can be very close to your vehicle if you need to get clothes and the cooler box etc. The car would be easier on the juice and cost less to park on site than a motorhome too.  Bearing in mind the longer walk from the campervan fields to the main stages and the walk from WV it's probably just the same albeit with a better view at WV. It's just that hill that's potentially putting me off.

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Only trouble this year is they've changed ticket day for them, so if you're reliant on re-sale you're knackered from what I can tell.

The date has changed, but the reliance on T Day was there before - they used to go on sale in the original balance payment window - which is before the resale.  They also went on and off sale a lot this year up to the end of May.

1 hour ago, chrislfc said:

Few different reasons but mainly cost and convenience.

We hired a motorhome for £1250 between 4 of us this year and the main benefits are cold drinks, a shower, a toilet and a bed.

We made a bite to eat in the morning too but that was generally it for the day as far as cooking goes.

If you consider that you can have a shower and use clean toilets up in Worthy View and keep a decent cooler box in your car packed with ice and frozen drinks then the benefits are starting to be less obvious. Your drink and food could be stored in the box for a few days and you can always buy food & drink on site if needs be. 

I used to have a tourer caravan but it is a bit damaged at the moment so hiring a motorhome was our option this year.(plus we couldn't fit 4 in the tourer) The aspect of hiring them is a bit of a ball ache when you consider the incidentals and insurance that can sometimes increase the cost too.

Don't get me wrong it's a nice luxury to have but for the time spent in it and the money it costs it's probably just as well to have a pod for £350 between 2 of us.

I've camped in tents for many years and then 'graduated' to caravans and motorhomes since 2010 just for the ease of getting in and out of West Campervan field Tuesday and Monday as there's never been any hassle getting on and off site but I gather that WV is just as easy with regards the parking etc so that might be an option. Plus you can be very close to your vehicle if you need to get clothes and the cooler box etc. The car would be easier on the juice and cost less to park on site than a motorhome too.  Bearing in mind the longer walk from the campervan fields to the main stages and the walk from WV it's probably just the same albeit with a better view at WV. It's just that hill that's potentially putting me off.

We're in a similar boat (if we get tickets for next year) we have hired a pre-pitched caravan for the past couple of years, if you put that option up against worthy view, on paper the pre pitched caravan is probably the better of the two and ticks more boxes, but more than anything we feel like a change might be nice, with the issues getting into the SE corner we spent a lot of time around the park area this year, so it would make sense to be over that way anyway.

The hill doesn't bother me in the slightest, of course its nice to have a bed in the caravan, handy to park next to it, and handy to have a fridge, but the rest is horses for course really.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

8 hours ago, Charm said:

Think it depends on your level of fitness, I found it really hard getting up to Strummerville last year, but saying that I find walking uphill tiring anyway, probably did more walking at Glastonbury than I did the rest of the year, I'm really unfit. 
Charm x

It's probably 50 100m up hill to strummerville and then 250 300 m up the stairs slope to site . But remember to factor in walking 20 30 mins from main stages in good conditions after being on ur feet for 12 hours that's y it's a killer . 

2 hours ago, crocodiles said:

It's probably 50 100m up hill to strummerville and then 250 300 m up the stairs slope to site . But remember to factor in walking 20 30 mins from main stages in good conditions after being on ur feet for 12 hours that's y it's a killer . 

300 metres of steps?