Booking "luxury accommodation" at Worthy View

glastogirl88

Hi all

next year I would like to have a bit of a different glasto experience having spent the previous 5 going mental, coping with standard camping and not remembering a great deal.. I'd like to take my mum for her first time and book one of the luxury accommodations at Worthy view (bunk pad or similar) basically have a bit more of a grown up glasto

anyone who has done so before - when do they go on sale (before / after ticket day?) and can you book a ticket package? Is it just as difficult to do so as to get tickets? Any advice greatly appreciated...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed at Worthy View twice, it went on sale at the same time as campervan tickets this time & usually all sells out pretty quickly apart from the scout tents which take a bit longer.

What I like about it is the short walk from the car, not having to actually drag a tent across site & pitch it, quicker access in & out of the car park (much appreciated on Monday morning when leaving site) & that it's a bit quieter as it's that bit further away.

Having said that, if you're booking because you want the luxury of having a shower, I wouldn't bother unless you're an early riser - queues were VERY long this year and one morning there was a half hour queue for the flushing toilets - I ended up going to the long drops by Strummerville on my way down as they were always spotless & no queue! 

I've done Worthy View both times I've been at Glastonbury. Coming from Scotland it takes away the need to cart down tents for our group (which has been 12 and 16 folk), and means we're able to arrive when we want and not have to worry about finding a spot or being able to pitch next to each other. 

Other plus points is that they have proper loos which, while they get busy after 8am, are cleaned and restocked regularly. I almost only used urinals in the main site this year and avoided the long drops. 

Because it's at the top of the hill the ground tends to hold up quite well. Even this year around the tents it wasn't too muddy at all. Only really muddy parts were the main walkway down to the exit and around the loos which the tractors had churned the ground. 

Regarding the price, at 150 quid I accept that it's not cheap after paying for your tickets, but the way I look at it it's 30 quid a night for accommodation that makes my festival experience much less stressful. Years like this year it really was worth it. 

The only big downside for me is it really is an absolute fucking trek to get back up the hill to it.  A steep, energy zapping climb that, if you've been down on site for 12 odd hours, can really take it out of you. Nipping back to the tent isn't really an option so you need to prepare for being down all day. 

That aside I'd recommend it. 

I did WV this year as it was my GFs first time. We got the bus though and had to wait for a few hours at the coach park to get the shuttle bus round. On the way back we were told the wait was 3+ hours at 8:30am so we just trekked it across site. Apparently it was caused by the traffic situation.

I only ended up having 1 shower (on the sunday morning) due to the queues and we also ended up using the longdrops at strummerville most of the time. The womens queues looked ridiculous alot of the time.

The walk up the hill is hard, but we took a bag with our things for the day and didn't return to the tent - and always stopped for a 'rest' at strummerville on the way up

On the plus side our 2-person scout tent was spacious and coped with the rain through Friday(?) night, and the campsite was quiet so we got a load of sleep each night.

We went our first glastonbury and decided to try for bit of extra comfort I'm not 30 40  or 50 . Was recommended to us. Nice site showers but only used once as queues of morning mad . Loos fine and more usable than those on main site. Tickets went on sale about 4 weeks after main tickets but sold our quick . Although later went on resale . We had 2 person scout tent quite roomy. The pods and bigger tents sold very quicklyas there's a lot less  of them . Beprepared for that hill spectacular views and strummerville great place to stop but it's a killer at end of a long day . Took us an hour to get back from pyramid through mud and passed massive crowds going to se corner but I  loved it would do it again tomorrow 

Done WV 3 times know (in various scout tents) and each time it does feel busier and earlier too.

The tents have stood up to all weather and always clean. Our neighbours have been lovely and helpful but maybe we were lucky.

Shower queue seems busier each year and you have to get up earlier to beat them. Pre 10am and minimal queue for men, between 10 and 11 around 30 and after longer but I didn't go that late.

i always went to flush toilets first thing in morning due to body clock but those queues did look slow and annoying with confusing lines.

The food is much better now that it was in first years. 

The car park closeness is on of its best selling points - easy to go back for a few trips and obv can bring more stuff saving on tent space. Getting out on Sun quick and easy too.

The hill is fine tbh but agree going back in day is hard work, usually don't feel it at end of night with "beer jacket" etc..

Sharing tent costs only £125-£150 per person which is fine for 5 nights in my view 

Stayed in WV for the first time this year and have to admit it was well worth the money. Was in a pod pad right next to the entrance and had a two minute journey from pod to car which was an absolute godsend. The shower queues weren't too bad, went down there between 9 and 10 each morning and only had to queue for 10-15 mins.

That hill was an utter bastard though.

The alternative to WV is Love Fields. Situated on the east side just outside gate c. You can have a belle tent, yurt,airstream or pitch your own. They have their own flushing loos and lovely warm showers which were a godsend. They also have a cafe. There's also no long hill to climb at the end of the day. From gate c to tent took about 3 minutes,  Even after 12 hours of beer/wine/cider!

Yes, this modicum of luxury comes at a price but this was my first glasto and looking at the regular camping areas had I gone down that route I might not have been so keen to return next year. As is transpires I'm itching to go back in 2017..

I can't fathom the appeal of Lovefields, personally. Ok, you get a bit more space and somewhere nice and comfortable to sleep, but you're spending a four figure sum to be outside the festival! Their promo video boasts that "you couldn't get closer to the festival if you tried" - oh yeah? How about being in the festival itself, for zero extra money?

Last year I pitched up my tent next to one of the Green communities in Pennards Hill and it was wonderful. New friends on tap, a community looking out for each other, and a genuine spirit about it. I can't imagine Lovefields offers more than that. I don't want to bag on it - each to their own, and all that - but it strikes me as an enormous waste of money.

To the people who think the hill to WV is horrendous -- do you exercise normally? Just curious - I had no issues whatsoever with the hill. It only takes five minutes to get up it.

I showered every day, the longest I queued was probably 20 mins or so. I'd usually go around midday. The shower facilities and altitude is the primary reason I use WV.

Edited by majormajormajor

3 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

To the people who think the hill to WV is horrendous -- do you exercise normally? Just curious - I had no issues whatsoever with the hill. It only takes five minutes to get up it.

I showered every day, the longest I queued was probably 20 mins or so. I'd usually go around midday. The shower facilities and altitude is the primary reason I use WV.

It's not the hill per se... It's the hill after 12 hours in the festival mud, jumping to bands, drinking and God knows what else!

Echo other comments, but I use WV for the ease (no tent, cars nearby), slightly quieter (I'm not 16 any more), showers and bogs (go slightly later or earlier to avoid queues)... And THAT view.  Perfect after a Strummerville night cap.

3 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I couldn't believe how short the hill was after reading the horror stories. Reckon 3 minutes walk max? 

Stayed in a bell tent at WV for the first time after zooloos and pop up motel the years before. On review I'd say better facilities at the others but WV pips it for location alone. 

Certainly not a luxury option though.

Shuttle bus back to the coach station Monday morning was a nightmare. Had to set off 4.5 hours before my coach departure time. Rather than taking actual people I think they should introduce a luggage transporting service. I would have happily walked the distance but couldn't have managed with all my stuff. 

31 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I'm a regular runner - 20+ miles a week, and I found it hard going after a day's drinking and traipsing through the mud.

Having camped plenty in the past and also stayed in an airstream at popup hotel in '15  I'm intending to try WV next year.

"glamping" is nice to try once, kind of as a treat but it was very far away and felt like I missed out on more of the festival as wasn't getting onsite until about 1.30pm each day, also severe lack of atmosphere. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

How far would we say the walk is from Worthy View to bottom of The Park? 

Really not far. If I had to guess I'd say 10 minutes.

i managed to get from pretty much from the back of WV to John Peel in under 35 minutes at 2pm on the Saturday. 

We also stayed at WV this year, we hired an 8 man scout tent. I would say it was defo worth the money, lots of space and about 10 mins walk from car, we got in at 10am weds morning and had lots of help with stewards with wheelbarrows helping us with our stuff to the tent. The bars and food places were really good and it was nice to stop at strummerville  on the way home at nighttime. I had my 2 children stay with us for 2 out of the 5 nights and they loved it. We walked straight into the showers before 8am but after that they were really long as were the ques for the toilets after this time. The hill I didn't think was too bad until the Sunday when I think my body had had enough. You would need to take a day bag out with you. I didn't think it was any quieter at night time than the camping in the main festival though but I'm a really light sleeper. We also drove straight out Monday morning. :D 

I'm going to go against the consensus view here I think; stayed here for the first time this year. Main reason was for ease of transporting things from the coach station. As many of you on here may know, I'm not the youngest guy around, and I go with my young daughter who isn't really up to carrying huge loads over long distances!

After a 20 hour coach trip to coach station at Gate A, we waited another hour on the shuttle bus, which then got stuck once more in the traffic. It had to turn around, return to Gate A, and we had to walk with all our gear right across the site and up the hill. It was after 11pm and dark when we eventually arrived. I was exhausted, and my back was in bits. I understand and accept that the traffic chaos was not the fault of WV - but ease of transporting loads was my main reason for paying the extra. So this isn't necessarily a 'glamping' style complaint, but just a life lesson for me not to do this again. 

The queues for both the showers and the toilets made them worthless to us;  we ended up going without the showers and just using the long drops at Pennard Gate which were clean, and very quiet. Queueing at WV would have resulted in missing multiple sets each day. There were also pretty lengthy  toilet queues at night, so we used the long drops at Pennard again, only brushing teeth at the water taps in WV.

On Monday am, our coach to Edinburgh left at 10:30, so at 06:40 I went to ask the ETA of the next shuttle bus... was told it would be 2 hours, and with the traffic the trip would be expected to take 45 mins to an hour. That would have taken me up to nearly 10am - I could't risk it, so once more we had to walk across the site. 

To give a rounded and complete assessment - the tent itself was clean, watertight, roomy and comfortable. A godsend given the journey we had that I didn't have to pitch a tent in the dark.

In short, we could have taken our own tent and pitched in one of the sites near the coach station, and saved ourselves a lot of money and effort.

Just my experience, so needless to say I won't be using WV ever again, so thought it worth adding to the discussion for a balanced view. 

Meant to add something already mentioned many times - It's a long way from the stages, and the hill is very steep for the last section. This renders it impractical to return to your tent at all during the day, so if you are going to WV, take everything you might need  when you leave in the morning, and drop a bag in one of the more central lock ups (the one near the Other Stage is ideal).

Thanks so much for all your replies everybody, I think that's the best thing about this forum - lots of different views points and experiences! I'm liking the bed and breakfast idea!! As I mentioned I would like to take my mum who is 63 and although not averse to camping and roughing it, I don't think she could cope that well with conditions like this year. I think it would take away the enjoyment somewhat. The hill neither of us would have a problem with. We just want to be warm, clean, safe, comfortable etc and to be honest don't mind paying too much for it. Lots of helpful ideas. Thank you. 

dont get the coach to WV. Car is the only option.  15 mins shower q's at peak. the food options are crap.  it can be noisy if you are camped on one of the lanes, btu there isn't much "atmosphere" - this is a good thing mainly.  the organisation is a little confised, late emails, busy at peak times.  the hill is hard after a couple of days. the bogs are good.  plus you dont have to take a tent, and worry about dragging it home. 

Tangerine Fields is ok, but more 6/10  where WV is 8/10

what do you mean about Lvoe fields pising of Eavis?

On 29/6/2016 at 2:40 PM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

The queues for both the showers and the toilets made them worthless to us;  we ended up going without the showers and just using the long drops at Pennard Gate which were clean, and very quiet. Queueing at WV would have resulted in missing multiple sets each day. There were also pretty lengthy  toilet queues at night, so we used the long drops at Pennard again, only brushing teeth at the water taps in WV.

very much disagree. the shower queues before 10am were almost non-existent. I went around 9:15am on Saturday and Sunday and didn't wait more than 5mins. on Friday I didn't go until midday and although the queues were long, they moved pretty quickly. we got a coffee and chatted about the previous night and were showered and back to the tent by 1.

similarly the toilet queues were non-existent at night, I used them each night that I got back, usually between 1am-3am, and walked straight into a toilet cubicle each time.

Edited by ghostdancer1