Next time I will...

budvar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely need to get some better wellies with proper foot support. Mine kept me nice and dry but with all the walking my feet were knackered by Sunday night. Any recommendations for more padded ones or maybe insoles?

Next year would like to spend more time around Toad Hall, Small  World stages saw some good stuff there Thursday but didn't get back there after that

Definately want to see more circus and Bella's field stuff. Caught Herbie Treehead but not much else

Will probably end up ignoring this entirely as I did this year when I get too caught up in the spectacle of Glastonbury but the things I intend to do:

As many have said, long socks

Block 9. Was just too busy on the Saturday this year.

See the sunrise from the stone circle

See a Park headliner

Sack off bringing beer for spirits. The trudge on the Wednesday was horrible so I'll be biting the bullet and buying my beers on site probably.

Take the coach. The walk from Pink 55 destroyed me, so I ended up camping in Darble, which was pretty shit to be honest, way too far from everything and so I missed a whole load of stuff on the other side of the site. Had there been less mud, it probably wouldn't have mattered so much.

Bring less stuff. We had one of those Draper garden trolleys, so we brought a few extra bits - more booze, camping stove for brekkie etc. The trolley broke on the way back to the car on Monday and I nearly had a mental breakdown. Luckily a very kind couple told us about an abandoned trolley they'd seen further up the way and it saved the day.

Don't bring cocaine. I never used to, but for some reason this year I did because the mates I was going with were all bringing some. The theory is that it'll act as a little boost in the daytime when flagging, but I ended up doing way too much on the Thursday, preventing me from being able to eat and just giving me a massive headache. I learned my lesson and luckily it was only the Thursday that was a bit ruined - was in bed by 9pm! Never again, lesson well and truly learned!

Have actual muck boots.  By Sunday afternoon both my wellies were split across the ankle and one sole was making a break for it too.

Only take the exact clothes I wore this time.  I had options but kept putting the same manky stuff back on because it was working for me.  Given we had scorching sun and rain, if it worked this time it works every time.

Which will leave space for more vodka.

And I'd like to take fewer cans - leaving space for... nothing because nothing weighs nothing! Bloody rucksack nearly killed me on the way in this year.

Not bother even taking alcohol and have a dry festival.  Stopped drinking Thursday afternoon because of a health issue beginning to erupt and knowing alcohol would antagonise it, never bothered me in the slightest to be off the booze all week, gave all my alcohol away to camp mates and family onsite so it didn't get wasted (so that they could).

Take exactly the same clothes as this year - worked perfectly.

Spend more time in the Park.

See Mik Artistic

See Hobo Jones

Visit more small areas - I did to a certain extent this year but like others, the mud hampered me.

Don't bother taking my big camera - it's too big to lug around and I barely used it

Go to Mavericks

Try to work out how to avoid crowds!  Especially exiting the Park.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Bring less stuff. We had one of those Draper garden trolleys, so we brought a few extra bits - more booze, camping stove for brekkie etc. The trolley broke on the way back to the car on Monday and I nearly had a mental breakdown. Luckily a very kind couple told us about an abandoned trolley they'd seen further up the way and it saved the day.

We were in that effing car park too.  A steward sent me the wrong way on Monday so I covered an extra couple of fields.  Then I found an abandoned *working!* trolley.  Absolutely saved my sanity.  My mate was making an extra run back in and didn't need the trolley so she left it near gate A to help the next poor soul on the brink.

I don't really want to condone leaving behind anything but I wonder how many of us were saved by people leaving good ones in handy places?

Take less clothes. Massively over packed.

Get up the ribbon tower with the rest of you!

Get to the Efest meet up.

Stay away from the dance fields, tried again this year but hated it.

See Arcadia actually in the dark.

New wellies. Muck boots have finally given up after 8 years.

Goan fish curry, every year I dodge it.

Hopefully get to Baggy Mondays. Never managed it yet. 

Not overdo it too early. We were both trashed by Friday evening so missed out on a headliner in favour of sleep, this might have been due to the overnight Tuesday campervan queue though.  

Have another marvellous festival. This year was my favourite out of 6 I've attended.

Ditch the big group & not spend half the festival waiting for someone to take a piss

eat more food, I literally ate 1 lot of chips from the hippy chippy all week - which were total shite (apart from a few BBQ bacon rolls at camp)

do a day off alcohol in the middle again, this made a massive difference to energy levels & dealing with returning this week. 

Get around the site, there were so many places I didn't see this time, park, acoustic, healing fields, green futures.

sack off the SE corner at night, It's so not worth the effort. If I do go it will be Sunday only when it isn't so rammed 

1 hour ago, BluePaul said:

Stay until late Monday.  Too many years of dashing off early to 'avoid the rush' and failing to fully enjoy Sunday.  Time for a late Sunday night, a leisurely Monday morning and a relaxed drive home late afternoon/evening.

Great shout +1

1 hour ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

Ditch the big group & not spend half the festival waiting for someone to take a piss

eat more food, I literally ate 1 lot of chips from the hippy chippy all week - which were total shite (apart from a few BBQ bacon rolls at camp)

do a day off alcohol in the middle again, this made a massive difference to energy levels & dealing with returning this week. 

Get around the site, there were so many places I didn't see this time, park, acoustic, healing fields, green futures.

sack off the SE corner at night, It's so not worth the effort. If I do go it will be Sunday only when it isn't so rammed 

Took us an hour to get down to the naughty corner Sunday night/Monday am only to be turned away (nobody had the same reason why when asked).......all because my Sister loves Mike Skinner so you're right on two counts, go where you wanna go!

1 minute ago, Glastobuddy said:

Great shout +1

Totally.  It was always my plan for the day and it worked out great.  Those car parks were no worry at all by mid afternoon and our route avoided any residual traffic so was clear driving all the way.  My son's friends packed up and left many hours before us and spent their time sat in a queue in the car parks and got home about the same time we did.  I'd had a decent lie in then sat around chatting with a cuppa and a smoke through the morning as my camp mates dwindled away, my son a chance to sleep off getting in at 5am :)

6 minutes ago, Glastobuddy said:

Took us an hour to get down to the naughty corner Sunday night/Monday am only to be turned away (nobody had the same reason why when asked).......all because my Sister loves Mike Skinner so you're right on two counts, go where you wanna go!

I was at sensations right by the entrance when the queue formed. They made an announcement over the loud speaker saying "due to adverse weather conditions the south east corner will not be opening this evening, - additional entertainment is being laid on at Arcadia & silver Hayes. We apologise" many turned around & left but many also kept queueing anyway

about half hour later they opened the SE corner anyway & we went on down, it was a lot quieter than i would have expected but I imagine that's because there were people saying don't bother to the traffic heading that way 

28 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

I was at sensations right by the entrance when the queue formed. They made an announcement over the loud speaker saying "due to adverse weather conditions the south east corner will not be opening this evening, - additional entertainment is being laid on at Arcadia & silver Hayes. We apologise" many turned around & left but many also kept queueing anyway

about half hour later they opened the SE corner anyway & we went on down, it was a lot quieter than i would have expected but I imagine that's because there were people saying don't bother to the traffic heading that way 

Did you watch the bizarre David Bowie Puppet tribute at Sensations? I thought i'd dreamt it until the rest of the group mentioned it Monday am!

Ah, this one again.  Pretty sure I'll have said most of these before...

Buy new wellies.  Unfortunately mine have finally given up the ghost, made it through without any dramas but noticed a lot of splits starting to open up on Monday morning.  Gutted as I can wear them for 5 days solid without a single blister,

Sleep more in the lead up.  Got all excited in the days before and didn't go to bed early enough.  End result on Friday was going back to the tent to top up my booze and crashing out before midnight.

Ribbon tower, FFS.

Avoid SEC unless there's something on Hell I really want to see.  Cannot be arsed anymore.

Take a proper sleeping bag.  Went for a lightweight cotton liner only this year as I always overheat, and was absolutely bloody freezing.

Take a smaller tin just for my butts.

And be more flexible.  First muddy year so I wasn't prepared for how it would change my approach to the site. 

However, what I will definitely be doing again is just taking a shedload of rum and ginger beer, and not worry about taking in cases of cider.  Enjoy a cold pint during the day when I feel like it and save the drinking for the evening.  Meant I kept my packing down to 2 rucksacks, front and back.

Edited by Quark

1. take less stuff (again - I never learn.....its like cooking rice or pasta with me....think that's the right amount of stuff for 5 days....wrong, I could have probably stayed there a week and a half!)

2. If I fail to take less stuff, get a better trolley that doesn't lose its front axle after the first trip back to the car (and yes....I disposed of its carcass properly....back in the boot to take home!)

3. Make the efests meet!

4. Go to areas of the site I haven't explored yet (even after 3 years I haven't seen everything - although I did get a couple ticked off this year)

5. Don't drive! (the drive back to Aberdeen is hell on earth on the Monday - going down is acceptable as there is the excitement factor, but not drinking on the Sunday at all starts to cause real problems on the Sunday night with sore feet and legs that you just wouldn't notice after a few jars!)

20 minutes ago, Glastobuddy said:

Did you watch the bizarre David Bowie Puppet tribute at Sensations? I thought i'd dreamt it until the rest of the group mentioned it Monday am!

To be honest mate I have no idea what I was watching on there now, I remember it being pretty weird, with a guy in drag doing something or other 

the memory is a little hazy now 

4 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Take exactly the same clothes as this year - worked perfectly.

Spend more time in the Park.

See Mik Artistic

See Hobo Jones

Visit more small areas - I did to a certain extent this year but like others, the mud hampered me.

Don't bother taking my big camera - it's too big to lug around and I barely used it

Go to Mavericks

Try to work out how to avoid crowds!  Especially exiting the Park.

Definitely.  We saw Mik three times in 2 days.  We only planned on doing so once (at the gateway stage in theatre and circus).  On Thursday afternoon it was raining so we walked up to the Rabit Hole.  Who comes on stage, Mik.  Amongst the best of the gigs of the festival.  On Friday eve around 12.30 we were in some random bar in the SE corner when who walks in, Mik (on his own just having a mooch).  Me and my mate were so pumped we ran toward him shouting MIK!!! I told him that everywhere he goes, we go and he should think about that when he's back at his camp. He looked a bit dazzled, gave a wry smile and stopped for a photo - we all did the sweet leaf of the north window wiper.  He thought we were weird! (we'd had a lot to drink in fairness)

On 6/29/2016 at 3:41 PM, Jugtanion said:

We saw Mik three times in 2 days.  We only planned on doing so once (at the gateway stage in theatre and circus).  On Thursday afternoon it was raining so we walked up to the Rabit Hole.  Who comes on stage, Mik.  Amongst the best of the gigs of the festival. 

That's exactly how we saw him in 2015 - enjoyed his song about a watch from the market.