PJ Harvey

glastofun

PJ Harvey was my absolute favourite this year.  Haven't heard her last album but I'm definitely going to download it following her performance.  Very sombre in tone, but I kind of felt it was an appropriate reflection of the current shit we're in.  

Did anyone else see it?  What did you think?  

Edited by glastofun

glad someone started this, just an amazing 70 mins worth every piece of struggle of leaving my pit spot for Beck 4 songs in to battle through to Other, grab a fresh pint, and fairly easily get to firm(er) ground center stage in the Other pit. I couldn't believe how great she was. my set of the weekend. the march out at beginning of show and then right into my fave track on her new record. later on, 50 Ft queenie....she looked fabulous too didn't she? loved how she was moving about, gesturing...the band was tight...it was just an absolute delight that one of my favorites didn't disappoint, but over-delivered for me.

thanks to whomever posted those reviews of her a few weeks back that talked about how good she was and how the new songs were transformed live, as for a while i had been thinking of spending more time at Beck until i read those reviews realizing i had to see the full thing.

Edited by tevaburger

I had no real knowledge of PJ Harveys music aside from the well known songs but was completely blown away by this. The music seemed like a cross between traditional old English styles and a new orleans deep south vibe. Mesmerising stuff indeed. 

The Scottish lady next to me obviously enjoyed it too as she bellowed out "come on polly let's fucking have it" at the top of her voice! 

Yeah, her band was so tight.  Love John Parish's solo stuff too.  

It's great how she does things in such an understated way, but to major effect.  The slight choreography for example.  

In introducing her band, all with a range of European names, do you think it was to underscore her message? 

17 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

From where I was the sound was pretty poor - apart from Polly's voice which was clear as crystal and powerful.

That's a shame as I found Polly and the whole band sounded amazing. The whole performance was fantastic. Theatrical, moving...just incredible. Definitely my highlight (and that's saying something given that I was so hungover on Sunday I didn't leave my tent until 6pm and didn't think I'd make it through the whole PJ set!)

Just now, Girlwiththemostcake said:

That's a shame as I found Polly and the whole band sounded amazing. The whole performance was fantastic. Theatrical, moving...just incredible. Definitely my highlight (and that's saying something given that I was so hungover on Sunday I didn't leave my tent until 6pm and didn't think I'd make it through the whole PJ set!)

I was just a metre or two outside the pit, slight to the right of centre. There was just no "umph" to the music, but vocally was absolutely perfect. I'd have moved around a bit.... if I could! In fact I saw Bat for Lashes and PJ Harvey almost back-to-back - what voices!

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Say what now?

Didn't realise the pj harvey, beck, Gary Clark Jr, guy Garvey clash was also the same time as the phone charge slot! 

:lol:

I had all my stuff back in my parents caravan cause I was going home with them after the headliners finished up, my phone ran out of battery during Quantic and I needed it charged in case I got lost on the way back to theirs. Good thing I charged it really, I did end up getting lost! But yeah. Really regret missing PJ. She won't play for at least another 5 years I reckon.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Best set of the weekend for me.

Great musicianship, great songs, great performance / theatrics.

Best of all, it suited the mood of Sunday (to that point) for me. A grim day, grim ref. result (well, IMO), and a thoroughly gloomy performance - in the sense of the last x2 records and their themes. 

The whole experience was uplifting and joyous. I bloody loved it. 

PJ Harvey was my favourite set of the weekend. I thought she and her band were stunning. I have not heard her new album but loved all the songs I had not heard. And 50ft Queenie made me go mental! The whole crowd and the band all going off as one to that was an experience I will never forget. I was already on a high after just seeing St Etienne up at the park but PJ's set. Well, it blew me away..!