Tell us about your 'Moment'

parsonjack

I'm often asked the question "Who is the best you've ever seen at Glastonbury?" and I'm usually stumped - maybe Bowie, maybe Randy California in 1982, Steve Hillage in '79, The Only Ones in '79. Now I think I have the answer. Coldplay in 2016. I knew it would be good, I had a feeling they would try to make it special - nothing prepared me for it and standing near the centre rear we had it all. It was sheer magic, almost all the way through - singing My Way with Michael - my personal hero - apart from musicians the only man who means more to me than my Dad. Then it happened - the vibe (as I call it) like a Kundalini spirit running up and down my spine. I stared at the Pyramid and it was the same Pyramid as in 1971 (as seen in the Glastonbury Fayre movie). It was all there. The same thing, whatever it is, the Avalonian spirit that everyone taps into. Coldplay had managed to invoke the true spirit of Glastonbury. It lasted for ages. I realised I was on a massive natural high that could not be broken. It was worth all the money, the waiting, the delays, the mud - I was wound up for hours afterwards.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

I'm often asked the question "Who is the best you've ever seen at Glastonbury?" and I'm usually stumped - maybe Bowie, maybe Randy California in 1982, Steve Hillage in '79, The Only Ones in '79. Now I think I have the answer. Coldplay in 2016. I knew it would be good, I had a feeling they would try to make it special - nothing prepared me for it and standing near the centre rear we had it all. It was sheer magic, almost all the way through - singing My Way with Michael - my personal hero - apart from musicians the only man who means more to me than my Dad. Then it happened - the vibe (as I call it) like a Kundalini spirit running up and down my spine. I stared at the Pyramid and it was the same Pyramid as in 1971 (as seen in the Glastonbury Fayre movie). It was all there. The same thing, whatever it is, the Avalonian spirit that everyone taps into. Coldplay had managed to invoke the true spirit of Glastonbury. It lasted for ages. I realised I was on a massive natural high that could not be broken. It was worth all the money, the waiting, the delays, the mud - I was wound up for hours afterwards.

I heard that Taylor Swift was checking out Shangri La at the time though so you missed that.

Wept like a baby (as usual) during Billy Bragg's 'Between The Wars' in Leftfield. Given the madness that was going on in the outside world it seemed even more apt that Friday night.

Few songs later and guy walked across the front of me, I tried to step back but both wellies stuck in the mud so started to fall backwards. 3 young women behind me caught me and pushed me back upright, very concerned I was okay - bless 'em. Definitely a Help The Aged moment!

On 02/07/2016 at 1:19 PM, weirdforces said:

I had two big moments. The first one was when I was in the front row when Michael Evis sang at Croissant Neuf and pointed at me while singing 'can't help falling in love with you' during the secret gig which @Sawdusty Surfer told us about and who I had the pleasure to meet. Thanks a lot for telling us all in advance!

The second moment was when I was front row at Hell Stage when Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker had their DJ set and suddenly VIPs such as Rita Ora joined in and danced with us. Towards the end, Kevin Parker walked towards us and I gave him a hug. I also met amazing people there. 

The community spirit made every single moment magical at Glastonbury but these two will stick with me forever.

On 28/06/2016 at 1:59 PM, blue6field said:

First one hit during Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott when he sang Caravan of Love, just a apt song for recent events and the way I was feeling after the referendum result.

second was during Bat for Lashes when she sang Laura, was just magnificent

this was me, I was so shattered, but her voice just blew me away and I'm called Laura too so that was it I was a gonna mid-song

Definitely Michael Eavis singing I Did It My Way with Coldplay.  That song is perfect for him, there have been so many ups and downs with the festival, probably plenty of times where he thought it might not last, where people have tried to shut it down, where it was nearly cancelled because of flooding or foot & mouth disease, but it always feels like Michael has done it his way you know?  That's why there's no other festival quite like Glastonbury, and I'm glad it's doing so well, and that (for the most part) the locals are with him and it seems to be more welcome.  I don't want to think about it, but when the time comes, this is his song.

I might have already posted this (red wine apologises) but hey ho :)

1 hour ago, verrymerry said:

Definitely Michael Eavis singing I Did It My Way with Coldplay.  That song is perfect for him, there have been so many ups and downs with the festival, probably plenty of times where he thought it might not last, where people have tried to shut it down, where it was nearly cancelled because of flooding or foot & mouth disease, but it always feels like Michael has done it his way you know?  That's why there's no other festival quite like Glastonbury, and I'm glad it's doing so well, and that (for the most part) the locals are with him and it seems to be more welcome.  I don't want to think about it, but when the time comes, this is his song.

I might have already posted this (red wine apologises) but hey ho :)

Lovely to see you're living up to your name. That last sentence made me smile:)

On 6/29/2016 at 11:35 AM, Wakey321 said:

Both my "moments" happened during Travis this year. Croissant Neuf is such a small tent and we managed to get right to the front before they came on stage. My first moment was closing my eyes during their first song which was " Sing " and listening to the crowd sing the chorus of "Sing, Sing, Sing". Goosebumps everywhere! Was incredible!

Travis were the first band I ever went to see live. It was on "The Man Who" Tour and I was 10 years old and went with my dad. At Glastonbury they played "Why does it always rain on me" last in their set on Saturday and during the final chorus my dad, who was stood next to me, put his arm around me and we sang as loud as we could. At that exact moment he put his arm around me, Dougie, the Travis bass player, looked us both in the eye and beamed the biggest smile ive ever seen!! That moment made my whole weekend!

I have to say Travis' entire set was so moving, I had a moment when they played Driftwood and suddenly there were 3 people running over to give me hugs and make sure I was ok, the atmosphere was unreal is such a small tent & luckily I was in early and got a space top left of the stage, when they let the side of the tent down to let some air in I had a perfect spot! Oh and I was able to return the favor of the hug to one of the same guys who had helped me later as we all stood together for the last song - thank you lovely people :)

Edited by mickeyboymel

Friday night, in Leftfield tent. Had been in earlier for the roundup in the afternoon, but wandered back to catch Billy's full set given the events overnight/Friday morning.

To the left side of the stage, near enough just in front of the merchandise stall, happened to turn around and saw a slightly older woman and another in her late teens/early 20s - I'm assuming daughter - in tears during one of the songs. Can't remember which song, but probably towards the end of the set. Just a lovely emotional moment, and after the referendum results and the politics in the tent, completely set me off too. Bloody dust.

On 2 July 2016 at 7:48 PM, Martin Ashford said:

I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this post, so thank you for taking the time. I also wanted to say I was so happy I didn't listen to some of the cool cats on Sunday saying Cold Play were going to be a sad ending to the festival. I have seen them once before at the IOW festival and although I don't always reach for them on my iPod in the car they were amazing then, and I have to say bloody awesome on this occasion. To captivate such an varied mix of people for an hour and a half is truely a talent In itself. What a way to finish an amazing 5 days. From a visual perspective we were near the back and the wrist bands are pure genius. Cheers Jamie 

On 7/2/2016 at 4:08 PM, crocodiles said:

Reading this makes me realise I'm not the only one when I heard elysium by bears den I had tears streaming down my cheeks and thought get a grip man nobody else is doing this . But obviously I was wrong ....I'm watching James back now and I've gone again 

How were Bears Den? Big fan of theirs, but they clashed with Gregory Porter, I've seen BD live a couple of times already and I've got tickets to their Manchester gig in November, so decided to see the big man instead. 

2 hours ago, PiratePete said:

How were Bears Den? Big fan of theirs, but they clashed with Gregory Porter, I've seen BD live a couple of times already and I've got tickets to their Manchester gig in November, so decided to see the big man instead. 

They were fantastic and really chuffed to be playing on such a big stage. The new songs sounded great too. It was just a shame they didn't play Sophie. 

3 hours ago, PiratePete said:

1 hour ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

They were fantastic and really chuffed to be playing on such a big stage. The new songs sounded great too. It was just a shame they didn't play Sophie. 

They were beautifully brilliant. Trying to find some footage of it on YouTube or somewhere to relive some of it but can't find any yet. 

And agreed, the new music sounded absolutely great. It was my first time seeing them and I can't wait till the next time. They were so humble and evidently bowled over by the occasion and the reception they got which only added to the emotion. 

10 hours ago, Leggins said:

They were beautifully brilliant. Trying to find some footage of it on YouTube or somewhere to relive some of it but can't find any yet. 

And agreed, the new music sounded absolutely great. It was my first time seeing them and I can't wait till the next time. They were so humble and evidently bowled over by the occasion and the reception they got which only added to the emotion. 

11 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Good to hear, really glad they're getting more exposure. I've only seen them at very small venues (Gorilla Manchester and Nottingham Bodega), so I wasn't sure they'd work too well on a much bigger stage. The best part of those gigs was when they came down from the stage and played a song (Bad Blood, I think) fully acoustic stood in the middle of the crowd, proper moments they were! 

This was my second year and I had first time friends arriving Thursday evening. I wasn't sure they'd last the weekend. Took them to the sign on the hill and we made it just at sunset. It was absolutely beautiful. Like me they are now hooked. 

Unexpectedly had company of other friends at a loose end with me for Paul carrack. My dad is a huge fan so i knew all the words from growing up. Spent half the set holding it together but lost it when he dedicated love will keep us alive to Glen Fry. Beautiful set.

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 5:00 PM, PiratePete said:

They were great not a massi ve crowd but sounded brilliant especially agape and elysium.  I'm new to them be desperately looking for tickets for Manchester without success I'm desperate to see them again 

On 02/07/2016 at 7:48 PM, Martin Ashford said:

This year was my 2nd time after going last year and I'd never watched a headline act on the pyramid before until I went to watch coldplay , I'd seen them years earlier in Manchester so knew they could put a good show on but I'd gone off them a little in recent years . Seeing so many headliners on the telly over the years I was now finally in the middle of it all and boy did it not let me down , goose bumps the hairs standing up for every song , the flairs the fire works the thousands upon thousands of wristbands all waving in unison ,this was everything I'd dreamed of and more after trying for so many years for tickets and failing , I was totally blown away and had tears streaming down my face behind my sunglasses (I'd had a little MDMA which helped too , don't judge me). I know that every one on here totally understands why we won't shut up about the place and how special it is and that you'll never understand until you've finally set foot on the greatest farm in the world, I pray I get a ticket next year because I think I'm in love in ,fact I know I am .