Tell us about your 'Moment'

parsonjack

39 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Love it!  I did wonder where on earth you found a pineapple at Glastonbury but I guess you brought it with you?

I found the tiniest Pineapple I could find before I came, however my friend had the idea to buy some pineapples on site so the rest of my group could hold up them up in a "I'm Sparticus" moment when they called me to the stage. By that point we were well and truly on our way so the idea didn't come off. The funniest part was that he bought the pineaples from a smoothie bar and they charged him £45!! Very expensive joke especially when you consider it didn't even come off! I was very lucky he did buy them as once I was up on stage I realised to my horror that my pineapple had obviously fallen out of my bag so the spare pineapples saved me a lot of embarrassment.

I had various people come up to me over the next day or two saying "You're The Boat Guy!" 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent most of Sunday trying to hold it together. 

Firstly to Bear's Den "The Love We Stole"

Secondly to Heaton and Abbot Caravan of Love

Thirdly to Years and Years when he made a little speech about pride. 

But come Sunday night when I unexpectedly found myself watching Coldplay I quickly realised I wasn't going to be able to contain it anymore. When the intro to The Scientist started, I was gone. Floods of tears streaming down my face that didn't stop for the rest of the set.

I'm not a crier but that place does something to you that cannot be explained or really understood and we're all the better for it, I believe. 

Soppy story warning

Had a bit of a nightmare Sunday morning with an ex girlfriend who was staying with our camp group. 

I'd been a bit of a wreck all day but had been keeping it quiet as didnt want to be a moany bastard amongst my friends and ruin their time.

However when a song that reminds me of better times with that same ex, Fix You came on at coldplay I didn't really keep it together.

But my moment came when my best friend who'd been away in america for 3 years and i hadnt seen in ages was at the gig with his wife and child looked over, whispered to his wife, came over and stood for the song with his arm around me. Knew exactly what I needed despite being away so long. After that I was much better and reminded me it's all OK if you have good friends around you.

A soppy soppy story from someone who's really not soppy at all but it will stick in my mind for the rest of my life.

The Jo Kent tribute has been mentioned so for me -

Sam Lee performing the last song off his set in the crowd and band singing a capella. Only 30 or 40 off us gathered round but it was just wonderful. To be so close up to hearing this was very memorable.

The other - Ronnie Spector Be My Baby. She already had the crowd onside with her impeccable cover of Back to Black and when she launched into Be My Baby she aced it with the crowd joining in word for word

16 minutes ago, Leggins said:

I spent most of Sunday trying to hold it together. 

Firstly to Bear's Den "The Love We Stole"

Secondly to Heaton and Abbot Caravan of Love

Thirdly to Years and Years when he made a little speech about pride. 

But come Sunday night when I unexpectedly found myself watching Coldplay I quickly realised I wasn't going to be able to contain it anymore. When the intro to The Scientist started, I was gone. Floods of tears streaming down my face that didn't stop for the rest of the set.

I'm not a crier but that place does something to you that cannot be explained or really understood and we're all the better for it, I believe. 

Yeah I think I got a little bit of dust in my eye when Art Garfunkel did Bridge Over Trouled Water!:unsure:

I had several 'moments' this year after missing the last 2 and I'm sure more will come back to me but my last one was walking down from the sacred space via the park about 3am Monday morning, I stopped in the dark and looked across the site, exhausted and slightly emotional as I slowly realised that my Glastonbury was done for the year. I thought to myself and actually said out loud to nobody but myself, "I fucking love this place"

Shaun.

Couple for me.   I was wandering back into things from the 50p tea tent after a well earned pitstop and I heard someone swearing magnificently about the EU result, really venomously going at it.  This impressed me, so I popped inside, to discover it was Marcus Brigstock, whose set was most enjoyable and really the tonic I needed with the horrible news we'd had.

Coldplay though...I was dealing with some tough stuff going on outside of the festival through the weekend and it had taken it's toll on me by Sunday afternoon, such that I walked away from Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbot because I wasn't able to get my head back in the game.  It was all forgotten by the end of the first song and I never stopped grinning, dancing and singing throughout the set, the people around me were amazing, just truly amazing and I had the best finale to any festival I've ever been to.  Tears were in my eyes just through the shear, overwhelming joy.

4 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Just the one for me this year. 'Sometimes' by James is a song I always associate with our son, as it is on a cd I made which we played during my wife's pregnancy and labour. He was getting a bit grumpy on Friday morning as he was overtired and we'd waited nearly an hour for the delayed start of James's set. I picked him up to comfort him and he wrapped his arms round my neck and said 'I love you, daddy' into my ear just as 'Sometimes' began. I just danced gently holding him, with tears streaming down my cheeks. 

I swear to god, after reading this I'm a blubbering mess. Thank you for sharing.

Chvrches for me too.

Second Glasto, pretty muddy and tired....

Sunset kicked in just as our "extras" to help with the tiredness did. Me and the same group of five friends that did Glasto last year, danced the entire set. 

Amazing place, amazing time, amazing people.

Bizarrely, went to say hello to our neighbour as I was unpacking the car when I got home and nearly burst into tears!

Overtired maybe :)

51 minutes ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

absolutely - surely one of the most haunting cover versions ever and seemed so poignant

Even more so given that it was an Abba song and Sweden had faced the same sort of atrocity a few years ago when Anna lindh was murdered.

Didn't have the best Saturday night and by Sunday I'd totally lost my festival feeling. Despite not being a massive ELO fan I've always really loved 10538 overture. It wasn't one of their biggest hits so to me it was a complete unexpected surprise when they played it which totally lifted my mood. If I'd looked up setlist.fm in advance I would have realised it was one they were likely to play, but I'm really glad I didn't.

My other moment was Sigur Ros. Wasn't sure how good they'd be live before I went and was just overcome by the beautiful atmosphere they had created.

And nearly forgot, Art Garfunkel. Every Simon and Garfunkel song he did was a pleasure, but one song stood out. I'd never taken to it before and used to find it strange it was their biggest hit when I thought they had more interesting songs. But hearing Art sing it live I now appreciate the beauty of the "Bridge over troubled water"

Edited by found home in 2009
to add last one

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Didn't have the best Saturday night and by Sunday I'd totally lost my festival feeling. Despite not being a massive ELO fan I've always really loved 10538 overture. It wasn't one of their biggest hits so to me it was a complete unexpected surprise when they played it which totally lifted my mood. If I'd looked up setlist.fm in advance I would have realised it was one they were likely to play, but I'm really glad I didn't.

My other moment was Sigur Ros. Wasn't sure how good they'd be live before I went and was just overcome by the beautiful atmosphere they had created.

It was the sixth time I'd seen Sigur Ros and the most spectacular with all that light show. Truly epic. Glad I was pretty much at the front and worth hanging around during the Aluna George set

2 minutes ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

It was the sixth time I'd seen Sigur Ros and the most spectacular with all that light show. Truly epic. Glad I was pretty much at the front and worth hanging around during the Aluna George set

I caught the end of Aluna George. Was waiting to meet friends to watch Sigur Ros when they texted to say they were shattered and going back to tent. I wandered into the tent after her crowd had left, but before most of Sigur Ros fans arrived. Was still slightly in two minds whether to stay or not, when I realised that I was actually pretty near the front and there was a pretty big crowd behind me. 

The fact it was going to be a nightmare to get out and that I was intrigued by the lights that were being built up for their show made it pretty easy to decide to stay. So glad I did.

6 hours ago, serendipitous said:

I had a couple but Friday just seemed to be a series of moments designed to make me beam/cry a little.

My favourite was walking through Greenpeace in the afternoon and walking past the big vertical slide they had on the side of the rocket. There was a little girl aged about eight or nine at the top and she was hesitating, clearly a little scared about going down it. Her parents were encouraging her from the bottom of the slide and next thing I knew everyone around me was cheering her on, shouting that she could do it and encouraging her. She came down with a crowd of about fifty giving her a massive cheer and celebrated with her at the bottom with lots of people high fiving her. She looked thrilled.

It made me so happy to see people help her get over her fear and celebrate with her when she did. 

@kelley

I saw this too. We'd been there a while (kids loved the area).  The brave girl had actually tried earlier but couldn't manage to let go, the crowd still clapped and cheered when she didn't make it.  It was lovely when she finally did it, and I think the kids we were with took something from it.

I had several moments. The first was The New York Brass Band, I basically blubbed happily behind my sun glasses for most of the set.  Particularly during Mr Blue Sky & Freed From Desire (Thursday at Greenpeace).

Musically James. Just stunning. The 4 of us goons just looked at each other with sweet smiles. When they played moving on, I just couldn't hold it in, tears streaming down me face, turned to see me pal doing the same.

Non musically, when we were all set up Wed evening. We were in bushy ground as we couldn't get near where we usually go in Dairy. Had wonderful neighbours, the best we've ever had, they joined us in just the sweet moment of we're here, we've done it, perfect.

59 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I caught the end of Aluna George. Was waiting to meet friends to watch Sigur Ros when they texted to say they were shattered and going back to tent. I wandered into the tent after her crowd had left, but before most of Sigur Ros fans arrived. Was still slightly in two minds whether to stay or not, when I realised that I was actually pretty near the front and there was a pretty big crowd behind me. 

The fact it was going to be a nightmare to get out and that I was intrigued by the lights that were being built up for their show made it pretty easy to decide to stay. So glad I did.

:):)

+ 1 for the Viola tribute, only one moment that touched me, a band that was on the up and could have easily been a regular at festivals, and could have easily hit the big-time.

Not really a moment as such, but met a older, eccentric, local guy who had acquired a local ticket off one of his freinds. He traipsed a good few miles to get to the site, just to say hello to a tree on stone circle what he had a connection with. He was skint but said he was going to stay a couple of hours, then head off home.

I gave him some mushrooms which he woofed down in a second, he was over the moon, thanking me repeatedly. Had a chat with him and he was an amazing bloke, with an encyclopaedic knowledge. Took his shoes off as he came up off the mushrooms and connected with this tree for a good 20 mins.

A couple of hours later I told him I had to go, as it was getting late and I wanted to go catch Coldplay. He thanked me wholeheartedly and wandered off towards a fire on the stones. You meet all kinds at Glastonbury, everybody has a story. Made a rainy Sunday on the Stone Circle all the more worthwhile.