Tell us about your 'Moment'

parsonjack

two this year

Kate Tempest in rum shack on thursday, she just came on for one poem (which was I think a combination of 3 of her poems including 'Hold Your Own' which was definitely a big moment last year). Last year her set on the park was so positive, cheerful and special, this year in rum shack was completely different, still so powerful but she didn't seem optimistic, it was so heavy. really got to me, and that was before we found out we'd left the EU... so maybe she was dreading the result. really glad I saw her but it was a bit much for me...

second breakdown was before Cassetteboy & DJ Rubbish on the Glade. watching touretteshero and just laughing so much I couldn't cope (during the "we're waving at cats but they're not waving back" song). The combination of the shrillness of her voice and my addled brain drove me into a hysteria which continued for some time...

great year, in my top three for sure :D

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During Up the Junction - it my Mum's favourite ever song.  She would adore Glastonbury but her disability just means it ain't ever going to happen, cue floods of tears

The Viola Beach tribute.  I had had a really shitty couple of days after having a reaction to something and had spent Sunday afternoon at the medical tent.  I was freezing cold and wet and just wanted to go back to the tent and get in my sleeping bag.  I'm not a Coldplay fan but I really wanted to end the festival with my son and he wanted to see them.  It was THE most emotional I've ever been at a gig, and I've been to a fair few of them!  The part when Chris talks about their alternate future just chokes me everytime and I get goosebumps when he counts his own band in.  Haven't been able to stop watching it since I got home

Edited by Digi

51 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

After hellish journey weds, in shuttle bus to spring ground and seeing again the whole site at dusk with the lights coming on was just breathtaking.

Blossoms was the first band I wanted to see and the manic Monday cover just made me so happy to be there.

Saturday Adele set fire to the rain, then someone like you both choked me up because I was fittingly watching with someone very special to me.

Sunday sat watching Coldplay at home as I'd left early, bringing on Barry gibb I was very teary and so wanted to be back there in that crowd. 

Were they as special as your ex?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Good ->special

6 minutes ago, Digi said:

The Viola Beach tribute.  I had had a really shitty couple of days after having a reaction to something and had spent Sunday afternoon at the medical tent.  I was freezing cold and wet and just wanted to go back to the tent and get in my sleeping bag.  I'm not a Coldplay fan but I really wanted to end the festival with my son and he wanted to see them.  It was THE most emotional I've ever been at a gig, and I've been to a fair few of them!  The part when Chris talks about their alternate future just chokes me everytime and I get goosebumps when he counts his own band in.  Haven't been able to stop watching it since I got home

This is the only time I can remember crying at Glastonbury. The tribute was perfectly judged and executed; I hope it gives some small grains of comfort for the families.

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Ha ha!  I was there - it was brilliant!  How did you get chosen?

I wrote a blog about them a couple of weeks ago talking about how they make our Glastonbury every single year. I shared it with them, they set me the pineapple challenge, and I ended up in the boat! The look of terror on one poor girls face as I toppled towards her at one point before being hoisted back up was one I'll never forget. Anyway if you fancy reading it its here https://harmonicprospector.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/the-wheel-of-four-tunes-and-the-glastonbury-spirit/

Mine was a bit different this year. I was walking through the market place on Thursday lunchtime with 4 friends, 2 of them a couple that had only ever been in 2013 and not had a great time. I felt bad for them because to me Glastonbury is the greatest place on Earth, and almost felt responsible to make sure they had a good time this year (which is a bit silly really). 

Suddenly this marching band approached made up entirely of kazoo players, one also with a drum and one with a cowbell). They started playing  belters such as Final Countdown by Europe, the Game of Thrones theme tune, good songs to hum along to. They then handed out loads of kazoos to the crowd and everyone was joining in and dancing around. As this point I realised everyone had the hugest grins on their faces including my two friends who I'd been concerned about. All at once I was reminded about how unique the festival is, how silliness can bring everyone together, and how I could relax and not worry about anything for the next 4 days. Overwhelming emotions of happiness, excitement, and relief of being home. Fortunately everyone was focused on the band so I had my little moment with some of my best mates in the world yet somehow in private.

10 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

Finding a woman by Bella's Bridge with a recorder up each nostril playing My Heart Will Go On. As musically amazing as if you'd been there to watch The Beatles play their rooftop gig, but only if they had recorders up each nostril.

So in other words: better than seeing the Beatles.

Just signed up to share my three moments from my first Glastonbury.

1st was "always look on the brightside of life" after Madness, Grandad's funeral song, listened to it loads after the funeral (4 years ago now) but after dancing away to Madness for ages on behalf of my Mam & Dad who love Madness and were watching it at home, I was just side swiped by it and just started crying. Sun was out, Madness were great and that song just hit me, I wasn't sad, I wasn't really super happy either. Odd.

2nd was "Love will tear us apart" by New Order. Again, a special song to me, probably my favourite ever song, I totally didn't expect them to do it, I hadn't even thought about how Id react to hearing it if they did! I was more thinking will they do World in Motion? Then when they did Love wil t ear us I was just blown away, I lost it when the sign flashed up behind "Forever Joy Division" amazing.

3rd was the whole Brexit thing. Hearing every band talk about it being negative and seeing everyone agree made me regain faith in people again. In fact, the whole festival done that to me, seeing people randomly help others carry, pull, move things through the conditions were amazing, even the Stewards just saying "have a great day" meant alot. 

Mine was really special this year in a very unexpected way. I was feeling pretty fed up (at Glasto!!) on the Friday, what with Jo Cox, Brexit, and the weather, but my whole band happened to be at the festival, and we got to play a slot at the Fluffy Rock on Friday teatime, which was brilliant (we just played Glastonbury, FFS!)

Then the Fluffy guys asked us if we'd like to come back and play Sunday night as well, so we played there from about 11PM as the main stages were finishing, and the tent just filled up and up to overflowing with the most incredible fun crowd there could possibly ever be. The atmosphere was overwhelmingly fantastic (thanks to warm-up bands Coldplay & EWF etc! ;) ), and I have to say it was the highlight of all my Glastonbury's. If any of you happened to be there, just THANK YOU for being so absolutely amazing and making my year, if not lifetime. You don't need many experiences like that in order to die happy :)

2016-06-27-PHOTO-00000519.jpg

Beans On Toast in Avalon sang about simply trying to be better and I went the full "Right on, man"... James Blake - Limit to your Love with the Bass that rearranged my teeth... partying in the Crows nest for Jagwar Ma with my friends... Michael Eavis doing My Way...

But the Viola Beach tribute was just incredible - so many emotions wrapped up in those few minutes. The fact they didn't 'just' do a cover, but darkened the stage and gave Viola Beach the screens so everyone watched... amazing, heartbreaking.

13 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I wrote a blog about them a couple of weeks ago talking about how they make our Glastonbury every single year. I shared it with them, they set me the pineapple challenge, and I ended up in the boat! The look of terror on one poor girls face as I toppled towards her at one point before being hoisted back up was one I'll never forget. Anyway if you fancy reading it its here https://harmonicprospector.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/the-wheel-of-four-tunes-and-the-glastonbury-spirit/

I was going to look for this. Saw them Thursday and the Saturday as a big fan. Can't wait to go again next year!

16 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Love it!  I did wonder where on earth you found a pineapple at Glastonbury but I guess you brought it with you?

16 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Ah, this was amazing - took some new people to WO4T on Thursday, no surprise we ended up back there on Saturday.

My moment was stood on a hill listening to some random DJ on sunday night out a random bar towards the t+c field.

I was so appreciative of the last 5 days, my mates and was welling up. I was tripping my balls off, but it made me think.

Cyndi Lauper - True Colours was a real special moment. 

Another vote for Caravan of love too.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop