The move might never happen

Matt42

So a whisper I heard from staff this year is that the Longleat people came to the festival to observe

and they were not happy

They believe that due to the mess, the state of the ground and disruption to the locals that it's not a good idea to hold the festival there.

Could of course be gossip or bollocks, but I doubt this is misplaced information.

Wonder what this means for the future of the festival?

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wonder what this means for the future of the festival?

Hopefully the festival will carry on at it's proper home but given the number of brainless idiots who still pissed on the land it concerns me.

I saw one pissing right next to some longdrops where there was no queue - he seemed to find it funny. I hope the festival office can use the photo I took to find his registration and delete it!

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Hopefully the festival will carry on at it's proper home but given the number of brainless idiots who still pissed on the land it concerns me.

I saw one pissing right next to some longdrops where there was no queue - he seemed to find it funny. I hope the festival office can use the photo I took to find his registration and delete it!

Pisses me off that does, I saw the same thing. Also saw multiple people pissing in a bush at the back of the pyramid field just where the road to Williams green starts. There was a bloody steward standing right there and I said to him about it and he just went yeah I know. Isn't it his job to kick them in the arse mid stream? Saw some girls crouching pissing too and felt like just pushing them over accidentally on purpose.

Edited by Dave_c
Predicitve text prefers kissing than pissing

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Toilets were exceptional this year. Well done GF on that. Especially considering the conditions.

Saw some bloke pissing up against a fence near the Glade and was very loudly shamed by a huge gang of "lads" walking by which was nice to see. Loads of people started booing him. He was mortified. 

I thought Michael said as much in the Q&A? I'm sure they'll be another event somewhere one day, there are other sites. I think they'd hate to have to have another fallow and let the long term staff go for a year. Must be really hard for the staff to survive for a year, especially if they intend to return 12 months later.

I think they'll be some more heat this year's festi over the travel/congestion problems aside from the peeing on the land issues of previous years.

We covered the subject a lot this weekend and the consensus was the Longleat thing would not be for us, Glasto or no-go!

I think given some of the chaos re getting on and off site, despite extensive experience that has now been built up over the years, if the festival does move to longleat, or another location, the first time could potentially be a nightmare logistically. Look at what's happened to a couple of the other big fests that have moved location. Look at some of the chaos that ensued at Glasto this year.

Having said all that I belive the staff did everything they could this year and they were exceptional given the circumstances. I think it's obvious some direction from above was needed though, and some further pre-planning in case weather, for example, is going to have an substabtial impact. 

How involved were the police in terms of managing the traffic system on to site? Was it festival staff overseeing the operation, the police or both? 

From an outsider looking in, it appears that the police are very much involved with it, so surely this is damage limitation on the festivals behalf?

It does seem like there is more local animosity this year. No-one can predict or control the weather but I think things like preventing local students being able to attend A Level sitting really have hit the festival hard. Not sure of the answer to the traffic disruption but I'm sure that there will be a lot more thought put into it. As mentioned lots of this site - the staff handled it professionally and have to be applauded.   

What gets me most is the against the wall of the urinal pissers , the side where there is no trough !! once you have queued to get in you are nearly there ?!  Im not sure why they cant put a trough on that side ? anyone know ? although this doesnt excuse the behaviour it might help 

6 minutes ago, dj matt james said:

It does seem like there is more local animosity this year. No-one can predict or control the weather but I think things like preventing local students being able to attend A Level sitting really have hit the festival hard. Not sure of the answer to the traffic disruption but I'm sure that there will be a lot more thought put into it. As mentioned lots of this site - the staff handled it professionally and have to be applauded.   

I think the louder than normal negativity is simply because those who do not want the festival have something big to shout for the first time in years, and it comes at the same time as it (very sadly) seems acceptable to say in public whatever you want.

Hopefully the positive noises will speak up too and drown out those who want to stop the festival.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What gets me most is the against the wall of the urinal pissers , the side where there is no trough !! once you have queued to get in you are nearly there ?!  Im not sure why they cant put a trough on that side ? anyone know ? although this doesnt excuse the behaviour it might help 

Completely agree. It made me so angry to see this and the worst place I saw it was at the back of the Other stage. They had made their way through thick mud and crowds to get to the urinals and once they got there decided waiting another 60 seconds was impossible... ?!

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

I think the louder than normal negativity is simply because those who do not want the festival have something big to shout for the first time in years, and it comes at the same time as it (very sadly) seems acceptable to say in public whatever you want.

Hopefully the positive noises will speak up too and drown out those who want to stop the festival.

That is probably the case, I know a few local people who usually sit on the fence (so to speak) usually but weren't happy with the disruption this time around. The camper van clog up on the A37 prevented a lot of people to go about their daily business. Bloody rain !!!!

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That's been a bug bear of mine for years, but I thought there were more double sides urinals this year, so I saw far fewer blokes pissing against the wall.

1 hour ago, Ducky89 said:

How involved were the police in terms of managing the traffic system on to site? Was it festival staff overseeing the operation, the police or both? 

From an outsider looking in, it appears that the police are very much involved with it, so surely this is damage limitation on the festivals behalf?

They may have been in the background but didn't see a single one on the ground, just very young kids with what I can only assume was minimal training, this issue with running a festival with volunteers is they are at the mercy of their training which didn't seem to be very good. I think the volunteers and the public were let down by the professionals behind the scenes.

I love the festival, but part of me thinks they should secretly plan a year off, then after that year's event say "we've decided to cancel it for a year in response to people that leave their tents/ don't use the loos/ generally treat the place like shit". With the threat of it disappearing permanently if people behave similarly at the next one.

29 minutes ago, dj matt james said:

While the vast majority of the staff are very good those in the car parks this year left a lot to be desired.

In the car park I was in West 55 there were a few cars getting stuck but once moving there were very few issues other than at one point  where 4 or 5 lines of traffic reached a gate. It was a bit churned up here and all that needed to happen. Was a slight push for most cars, and away they went. The problem was there was nobody keeping traffic moving if there had been a steady flow of traffic couple of cars from each line in turn everyone would have been through quicker. This would also have increased the availability of tractors to pull people out as these were getting stuck in the grid lock too. 

There were several stewards who passed through saw what was happening made a call on their radio and disappeared. 

If these pinch points were manned with someone briefed on managing the flow of the traffic it would have been plain sailing. 

Once out the field there were no issues what so ever.

3 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

While the vast majority of the staff are very good those in the car parks this year left a lot to be desired.

In the car park I was in West 55 there were a few cars getting stuck but once moving there were very few issues other than at one point  where 4 or 5 lines of traffic reached a gate. It was a bit churned up here and all that needed to happen. Was a slight push for most cars, and away they went. The problem was there was nobody keeping traffic moving if there had been a steady flow of traffic couple of cars from each line in turn everyone would have been through quicker. This would also have increased the availability of tractors to pull people out as these were getting stuck in the grid lock too. 

There were several stewards who passed through saw what was happening made a call on their radio and disappeared. 

If these pinch points were manned with someone briefed on managing the flow of the traffic it would have been plain sailing. 

Once out the field there were no issues what so ever.

yeah - we saw quite alot of staff that seemed a bit daunted by it all.

1 minute ago, Porcelina said:

Tripling the amount of coach tickets and planning more infrastructure around that would be the best way to go - staggers arrival times and reduces traffic. I

I think that staggering the arrival times could be a brilliant idea if it was controlled.

I honestly only think pissing is only part of the problem. It happens at every other festival I've been to and you will never stop it as long as M E. has a beard. I also witnessed it but not nearly as much as previous years.

My concern is with the locals not been able to go about their business with the traffic especially on Wednesday. Kids are unable to get to school,local farmers unable to access the roads,corriers unable to get around. Who can blame them. I can't see them been granted a licence in later years.

agreed on the loos - i though they were very, very clean considering. Well done. So much better now it's mainly long drops.

Also - I saw barely anyone peeing where they shouldn't be (although I didn't spend any time on the pyramid compared to other years)... so that could be why. In fact, even before Coldplay over at the Mandela bar there seemed to be more than enough loos available with no queue. Didn't stop people just queueing for the first load though with massive gaps elsewhere!

4 minutes ago, mr jolly said:

I honestly only think pissing is only part of the problem. It happens at every other festival I've been to and you will never stop it as long as M E. has a beard. I also witnessed it but not nearly as much as previous years.

My concern is with the locals not been able to go about their business with the traffic especially on Wednesday. Kids are unable to get to school,local farmers unable to access the roads,corriers unable to get around. Who can blame them. I can't see them been granted a licence in later years.

I think the locals (we live in shepton) tend to put up with the festival as long as they feel the disruption can be kept to a minimum. This year was particularly bad and the infrastructure creaked for the whole weekend.