Gaiter Boys

MoilyX

...and Girls:

How did your walking boot & gaiter combination work over the weekend? Did they stand up to the fierce test in those conditions?

As I took walking boots and wellies and had to end up wearing the wellies for most days I have killed my feet so I'll be looking at getting some gaiters if they held up ok.

Held up fine. Dry feet, clean laces until Sunday. Had to start work at 5.45am so due to tiredness meant I didn't manage to get the gaiters on properly, which meant boots got very messy. Feet still stayed dry though. Was fine walking through deep puddles that were above my boots

I bought new decent walking boots, properly fitting with two pairs of socks every time. I also bought gaiters (cheap).

the gaiters lasted until the end of Wednesday, by which point they were just a nuisance. So I binned those.

The boots, however, were a fantastic purchase. After five days of wearing the boots (properly, two pairs of socks, tied up tightly), walking approximately 60 miles in total in thick mud, my feet have not even the slightest blister. No aches, no pains, nothing. Couldn't be happier. Feet were pretty much bone dry at the end of the day (other than sweatiness from wearing two pairs of socks).

The only downside is tying and removing the boots. I don't like getting mud all over my hands. But the alternative would be to not wear them properly (tightly), or to use wellies and get all the discomfort that comes with them. My girlfriend wore wellies and the entirety of her little toe on her right foot is a blister.

Recommendation: get a good pair of walking boots next time. The ones I got were £130 at Go Outdoors but they price matched down to £80. I see it as an investment as I intend to do more walking and hiking.

My only pain with Glasto this year was shoulders from carrying stuff around. I can deal with that. Feet being in pain would have been a major issue for me in mud like we had.

Walking boots all weekend if you have gore tex ones there was no need at all for wellies. Couple of deep wet muddy points but easy to walk round. Wellies just get stuck when mud starts to dry. No gaiters just shorts all weekend

Hmm, seems like I should have perservered with just the walking boots then.

The only thing with those was the wellies meant there was no fear of walking anywhere and the mud splats on them would have come above the boots, hence the thought of getting some gaiters.

Hopefully these conditions won't happen again so I'll get some gaiters and wellies will be history.

17 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Hmm, seems like I should have perservered with just the walking boots then.

The only thing with those was the wellies meant there was no fear of walking anywhere and the mud splats on them would have come above the boots, hence the thought of getting some gaiters.

Hopefully these conditions won't happen again so I'll get some gaiters and wellies will be history.

With regards to mud splats, I'd rather have them on my legs where they'll dry off more quickly, instead of having to deal with gaiters as well as muddy boots when getting into my tent. It's annoying getting the dried mud into my tent from my bare legs, but dealing with dry mud is always preferable to wet mud.

Now if someone can invent boots that can get off without getting your hands (including fingernails) filthy, then I'm really interested!

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

With regards to mud splats, I'd rather have them on my legs where they'll dry off more quickly, instead of having to deal with gaiters as well as muddy boots when getting into my tent. It's annoying getting the dried mud into my tent from my bare legs, but dealing with dry mud is always preferable to wet mud.

Now if someone can invent boots that can get off without getting your hands (including fingernails) filthy, then I'm really interested!

9k=Latex-Glove.jpg

2 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Yeah but getting the mud off hairy legs isn't fun though!

I could have a waxing session before going, I s'pose...?!

I had the same thought, but then discovered that a shower with actual warm running water once you get home gets the mud off real quick and easy like. Showers are just brilliant.

plus, some say mud is a great exfoliant. My hairy legs are so soft and lovely now.

I wore boots all weekend without a hint of dampness or any aches or pains. It was amazing. 

Also, I folded my long socks down over the top of the boots and tucked the laces in. They were completely clean all the time so there was no issue taking them off. 

From Mr Smug

2 minutes ago, themuel said:

I wore boots all weekend without a hint of dampness or any aches or pains. It was amazing. 

Also, I folded my long socks down over the top of the boots and tucked the laces in. They were completely clean all the time so there was no issue taking them off. 

From Mr Smug

Ooh good idea.   I used my wellies and walking boots.  Sore feet, no blisters or wellie rings.  Someone suggested gardening gloves to me, to help with carrying a tent. (My OH was a hero and dragged them on the trolley). The gloves were great for muddy laces.

Bone dry all weekend in the boots. Made it much easier to get around. I would never ever go back to wellies. Had the gaiters on Saturday to avoid the splashy stuff but switching to boots for the last couple of years is a festival changing experience. 

Heres what my feet and boots (and white socks!) looked like at 2am Sunday night. Having been out and about since 10am, walking through the baddest of he bad stuff at times too.

2zp62id.jpg