Is it common to spend a major percentage of your time simply going from A to B?

Little Andy

This was my 3rd Glastonbury and I once again had a great time!

One thing that always haunts me though is that I seem to spend so much time going from A to B, especially so when its muddy. Be it for food, for the toilets, or going to another stage. On top of that there is the waiting around for the bands to start which makes the hours disappear so fast! Does everyone get this feeling, or maybe does the average person stay put a lot more than me?

Depends on the individual really, we always suss out food stalls near where we intend to see a band and buy accordingly, or if we are seeing someone later where we know there is good food we tend to wait.

With regards to A to B we try and see all we want but we know it is impossible so decide to stay in one area unless there is an absolute must see. On Friday we would have spent all day in the Park area if it was not for ZZ Top but the walk to the Pyramid and back was worth it although it knackered us.

It's different with so much mud! Usually we meander from one set to another, with plenty of time to sit on the grass and chill near something interesting...bar or tent or whatever. This year particularly there was a lot of trudging just to get to the next spot to stand...missed a lot this year personally..it was just too exhausting! 

This was my third Glastonbury and I'd definitely say spending time going from A to B is normal.  However, this year, it took me an absolute age to get anywhere and I done my back in a couple of times too so spent a lot more time at the tent chilling.  Usually, when there's no mud, we stop off and sit and watch a performer or something but we couldn't do that this year.  I missed loads this year compared to what we usually do.

This was my sixth year and it was a particularly tiring one. Walking anywhere took forever, even with disabled wristbands and shortcuts. I spent a lot more time at the tent than I would've liked but I just didn't have the energy in me. I normally spend a lot of time around circus and theatre, green futures etc but I kinda just gave up on the idea! 

Feeling a bit sad that I didn't make the most of it now but it was just too much hard work getting from A to B. 

It's totally mud related imo.

When the weather is nice you probably DO walk as much, but it's a lot less effort and you don't actually notice it.  When it 's muddy your mind is focussed on stepping in the right spot, progress is slower etc etc

I know there are those who say Glasto is great anyway, but for me, having decent weather is a massive plus for what I get out of it.

Just my opinion.

this was my 19th glastonbury and as others have said the time to travel anywhere be it just to the loos or across the site to different stages was particularly arduous and time consuming this year. In the years I have been going to the festival there have been about 5 very muddy ones, this one was perhaps the worst because the mud was widespread, very deep and the type that pulls your boots off. Also there was only one day when it dried out nicely.

The rainfall during the festival was not that bad really it was mainly light with a few heavy patches, but the conditions underfoot were really challenging, due to the rain before we all arrived on site.

Stardustjunkie,  don't be too sad you aren't on your own, I think a lot of us would have seen more bands and done more stuff if it weren't for the mud this year. Hoping this means the tickets for next year won't go in a nanosecond.

2 hours ago, stardustjunkie said:

This was my sixth year and it was a particularly tiring one. Walking anywhere took forever, even with disabled wristbands and shortcuts. I spent a lot more time at the tent than I would've liked but I just didn't have the energy in me. I normally spend a lot of time around circus and theatre, green futures etc but I kinda just gave up on the idea! 

Feeling a bit sad that I didn't make the most of it now but it was just too much hard work getting from A to B. 

Don't feel bad, it was really hard going.  We tried to do too much on Friday and ended up exhausted trying to zig zag the site.  So on Saturday and Sunday we picked just 4 to 5 bands with a route round the site that flowed a bit better, made sure we had enough time to get between them and also that we had time to eat to keep our energy up.  We missed quite a few things that in a better year we would probably rushed around and seen, but we felt far more relaxed and so enjoyed it more.  xx

Thanks @tigertoo and @sabre-toothed tart - I know deep down that I missed out but I also know I still enjoyed it.

I am absolutely made up with the fact that I finally spent some time in the Craft field and made my own silver ring so not all was lost. It was just such hard work and I have a problem with my spine and left hip so getting stuck in the mud at every step wasn't comfortable at all. FMS saved the day on Saturday with an amazing ice pack but unfortunately they ran out on Sunday which I'm guessing was down to a lot of twisted ankles etc!

I have some special memories from this year but it definitely hasn't been a favourite. I don't think it's put me off going next year (if tickets allow) :) Next year I will spend a lot of time in circus etc to make up for it!

I would also be interested to know if anyone came across telescopes in Green Futures because I didn't make it there at all. I was hoping to see my old astronomy tutor about something and it's the only time I ever see her now. I've tried contacting her with no luck and just wondering if she's still got her travelling observatory!

Edited by stardustjunkie

Wednesday we didn't get there until about 10 am then Thursday was a write off for me due to doing my leg in on the way in. This meant going at a slow hobbled pace for the weekend resulting in me seeing only a fraction of what I normally do which was really disappointing at the time. Still I was one of the lucky ones that at least got a golden ticket and that was my 7th visit so have to be grateful for that. The mud didn't put me off thinking it was the best place on earth

Original Poster here. Cheers everyone for all your responses, makes me feel better that we were all in the same boat and I wasn't just wasting my time. Looking back I still saw loads of great stuff and definitely made the most if it. In hindsight I think I only sacked off one act cos of the walking and waiting (Travis), but otherwise worked my feet off!!

Ha ha yeah that's exactly what it is! So much moving around. I checked my health app on the phone this morning and it tells me that between Tuesday afternoon and Sunday night I walked 73 miles. 

Edited by themuel