Knobs

elias

7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Imagine coming up to the euphoria of "Hello". Life changing. 

Better than Elbow. My mate had a wrap of MD in 2014 before Elbow. Had to leave as they sent him under. We were only there to check them out before Arcade Fire. Bored me, but his head went west.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Better than Elbow. My mate had a wrap of MD in 2014 before Elbow. Had to leave as they sent him under. We were only there to check them out before Arcade Fire. Bored me, but his head went west.

The image of somebody losing their shit to Mirrorball is (in my head, more) hilarious (than it probably should be)

On 7/6/2016 at 1:41 AM, Tyonks said:

I'm always amazed by this too, I make sure I milk every single second of Glastonbury - only happens once a year and there is absolutely no guarantee you'll be there next year! It does take a lot of effort on that Sunday night though - but a box of wine normally helps!

Best time to go to the SE Corner. Not as crowded.

3 minutes ago, M_Il said:

i would have thought at least 20-25% adults are on something stronger than weed at the     festival although that could just be perception I.e where I decide to go at night 

Yeah that seems about right, based on personal experience it seems like everyone I speak to is off their face but I suspect that's just the company I keep.
Charm x

7 minutes ago, Charm said:

Yeah that seems about right, based on personal experience it seems like everyone I speak to is off their face but I suspect that's just the company I keep.
Charm x

Im Just trying to balance it, from my own perspective at least 50-60% are off their nut. At times that goes up to 90% but site wide I suspect it's much lower 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I took a cap waiting for Foals this year and wasn't sure how it would work out, it was fucking alright. The walk to Arcadia took a little longer than I expected mind you but we got there in the end 

Also, the argument on the previous pages is fucking stupid. A lot of Glastonbury has surely been built on the foundations of people going to get fucked up. Electronic music goes hand in hand with raves and parties, which go hand in hand with drugs. There's nothing fucking complex about it, people like to go and rave and dance to quality electro music and get fucked up. 

Who cares what percentage of people in Block 9 at 4/5am or whatever/wherever are absolutely off their nut. 

What percentage of people in Block 9 or wherever at 4/5am are having a fucking great time, about 99%. That's what Glastonbury is all about 

Get over it 

Edited by Mezhyp1

10 hours ago, TuesdayBlues said:

Incidentally, the estimates of drug use here are way off. I realise that there are some Indie kids who go, have a few beers at the Pyramid all day, and then head back to their tents at midnight. But I would suggest that drug use is pushing 50% (of adults) overall. Our entire campsite was (sadly) carpeted in laughing gas canisters every morning it seemed. And if you think that drug use is not tacitly approved at Glasto, you're bonkers. Shangri-La is, if nothing else, the apotheosis of drug-induced hallucinogenery.

It's not just indie kids at the Pyramid all day. It's families spending time at the kids field and checking out the circus. It's older folk hanging out at the Acoustic stage. It's folky people that spend most of their time around Avalon. It's comedy and arts fans that are mostly around Bella's field. Some of them maybe have the odd spliff but it's mostly just booze. And yeah, it's everyone in bed by 2am which is a huge, huge proportion of the site. How busy does the site feel at night? Outside the naughty corner? Kind of around the same, but maybe a bit quieter? Then think of how busy the Pyramid field and Other are for the average act. Not to mention West Holts, Park main stage, Avalon and Acoustic. Where do all those people go? You can't even fit the average mid-afternoon Pyramid stage crowd in the SE corner. And the SE corner and Silver Hayes (and Beat Hotel) are the only places I've seen significantly busier late night than during the day. A *lot* of people go to bed after the headliners.

Now, of the people still up at 3am, yeah, maybe it's nearer 50%. NOS is a weird one too as it was only actually made illegal a month before the festival. I'd expect usage to drop hugely next year just for that fact alone.

And yeah, Shangri-La is clearly inspired by hallucinogenics absolutely. But I've always seen it as the opposite: it's meant to make you feel that way without you actually being on anything.

5 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Electronic music goes hand in hand with raves and parties, which go hand in hand with drugs. There's nothing fucking complex about it, people like to go and rave and dance to quality electro music and get fucked up. 

Yep, that's true. But you're massively over-estimating the amount of people going to Glastonbury and listening to electronic music. It can absolutely be your whole festival if you want it to be, but it doesn't have a mass appeal. Otherwise an electronic act would be closing the Pyramid every night. Block 9/Shangri-la are utterly tiny. Look at the Glasto map, quick comparison pic, at the same scale:

Untitled.png

And bear in mind that the shaded bits are out of bounds.

The SE corner can feel huge but it's really not. Even when rammed it's only a tiny proportion of people on site, maybe 10K. It's always so easy at Glastonbury to feel like where you are is the centre of everything, and that most of the site must be there, especially when it's busy. So when you say raves and drugs go hand in hand, you're right. And the vast majority of the festival - they're not raving either! They can't be, there isn't the space.

And all my original point was with all this - as much as we can carve the festival up and say "this is the naughty corner, this is where the electro music is, so this will be where the most drugs will be, and they'll happen more at night". Someone hit on it earlier but missed the point: security have to be fair. And it wouldn't be fair for them to be briefed "take it easy in the SE corner at night". That itself would be discriminatory. So the result is that you're just as likely to be busted there as anywhere else in the festival.

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

And all my original point was with all this - as much as we can carve the festival up and say "this is the naughty corner, this is where the electro music is, so this will be where the most drugs will be, and they'll happen more at night". Someone hit on it earlier but missed the point: security have to be fair. And it wouldn't be fair for them to be briefed "take it easy in the SE corner at night". That itself would be discriminatory. So the result is that you're just as likely to be busted there as anywhere else in the festival.

Deano it's a great post but you've completely missed the point that security *do* have to be fair. The poster said he'd freely given up his weed but the security guy then took other property from him. You've just glossed that over as "a bit cheeky" and that it's almost acceptable behaviour as the alternative was the police being called and / or the guy being ejected from the site.

Edited by ___S_o_m_a__
typo *>*

On 14 July 2016 at 7:12 PM, nikkic said:

Imagine coming up to the euphoria of "Hello". Life changing. 

Maybe they'd set the DeLorean to 1994 ready to arrive for Orbital and arrived in 2016 to Adele instead. Great scott!

Edited by Jugtanion

Let me tell you something about "Knobs"

We all imagine that there is a distinction between one's own demeanor and the demeanor of those we consider Knobs. This distinction is false.We all sink or swim in the sea of Knobdom. This is inescapable. Nobody is better or worse than the next man, this is the truth.

C*nts are not just ruling the world, they are trying to take over it. Resist this.

• 2 weeks later...

It relation to the drugs topic I would say it's almost impossible to gauge the amount of people using at the festival, I know that easily 50% of my group were using (about 10/12 people) and about 50% of people I spoke to after headliners were using. however, as someone who was also indulging I was probably in the right areas and frame of mind to identify and be around those people. Mind you other than briefly Thursday, I didn't spend a single night in the SE corner but didn't get to bed before 6am once and would often glance around and see those around me obviously under the effects of drugs.

On the topic of knobs, I can't remember encountering any apart from a group of lads in the pit for Foals who once the band walked on stage battering rammed their way through the crowd towards the front throwing my mates, me and others around us flying. I also read this topic in the fear I would be listed, after staying in the same spot for all of Beck and Coldplay, drinking a lot of a strangers flavoured vodka, and 'indulging' I was out of it by the time the band finished, on the way out of Coldplay heading up towards the Row Meads path I had my head up looking a head for my mates and was being pushed forward when I ploughed through a lady sitting on a chair in the middle of the exiting crowd. This resulted in myself and her ripping through the back of her chair and into the mud. My mate grabbed me by the back of my shirt and tugged me up whilst a bloke lifted the lady up I was pushed onwards and shouted sorry back towards her direction. In my defence remaining sitting in your chair during a exiting Pyramid crowd is slightly dangerous!

On the topic of taking kids, I think it's great people take their kids with them, I would have loved to have gone as a child. However, if I find myself next to children in a crowd I tend to try and move out of earshot as once drunk I don't have a great grasp on my language and f**king becomes my favourite adjective. Also in 2014 a mate and me were up against the barrier for a show with some parents and kids just behind us, we let the kids go in front of us and had a great time chatting with them about their views of the festival before the band started. I think parents should be aware that if they bring their kids they shouldn't take them to certain parts of the festival and also general punters should be aware that kids may be around and monitor your own behaviour if you notice that you're near some.

On 14 July 2016 at 8:55 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

I took a cap waiting for Foals this year and wasn't sure how it would work out, it was fucking alright. The walk to Arcadia took a little longer than I expected mind you but we got there in the end

Also, the argument on the previous pages is fucking stupid. A lot of Glastonbury has surely been built on the foundations of people going to get fucked up. Electronic music goes hand in hand with raves and parties, which go hand in hand with drugs. There's nothing fucking complex about it, people like to go and rave and dance to quality electro music and get fucked up.

Who cares what percentage of people in Block 9 at 4/5am or whatever/wherever are absolutely off their nut.

What percentage of people in Block 9 or wherever at 4/5am are having a fucking great time, about 99%. That's what Glastonbury is all about

Get over it

Totally agree, the Glastonbury "in our heads" as OP have said is also the Glasto that exists, it just cant be shouted from the rooftops, the festival has to do its bit to promote a no drugs policy to get its licence ect. Hell even Adele asked people this year if they were "drunk or off their heads" and admitted to having a few wild nights at Glasto, im pretty sure she didn't mean just on the drink.

4 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

It relation to the drugs topic I would say it's almost impossible to gauge the amount of people using at the festival, I know that easily 50% of my group were using (about 10/12 people) and about 50% of people I spoke to after headliners were using. however, as someone who was also indulging I was probably in the right areas and frame of mind to identify and be around those people. Mind you other than briefly Thursday, I didn't spend a single night in the SE corner but didn't get to bed before 6am once and would often glance around and see those around me obviously under the effects of drugs.

On the topic of knobs, I can't remember encountering any apart from a group of lads in the pit for Foals who once the band walked on stage battering rammed their way through the crowd towards the front throwing my mates, me and others around us flying. I also read this topic in the fear I would be listed, after staying in the same spot for all of Beck and Coldplay, drinking a lot of a strangers flavoured vodka, and 'indulging' I was out of it by the time the band finished, on the way out of Coldplay heading up towards the Row Meads path I had my head up looking a head for my mates and was being pushed forward when I ploughed through a lady sitting on a chair in the middle of the exiting crowd. This resulted in myself and her ripping through the back of her chair and into the mud. My mate grabbed me by the back of my shirt and tugged me up whilst a bloke lifted the lady up I was pushed onwards and shouted sorry back towards her direction. In my defence remaining sitting in your chair during a exiting Pyramid crowd is slightly dangerous!

On the topic of taking kids, I think it's great people take their kids with them, I would have loved to have gone as a child. However, if I find myself next to children in a crowd I tend to try and move out of earshot as once drunk I don't have a great grasp on my language and f**king becomes my favourite adjective. Also in 2014 a mate and me were up against the barrier for a show with some parents and kids just behind us, we let the kids go in front of us and had a great time chatting with them about their views of the festival before the band started. I think parents should be aware that if they bring their kids they shouldn't take them to certain parts of the festival and also general punters should be aware that kids may be around and monitor your own behaviour if you notice that you're near some.

Entirely the woman's fault not yours, she's the knob in this situation.

Yeah I'm the same with kids, I'm perfectly happy them being there I just don't like to be near them. Not because they annoy me or anything like that as they're perfectly fine, just because I swear an awful amount and may potentially dabble in other things. I don't want to be a bad influence in front of the child.

I was at Bluedot festival last weekend and one of our group who we met on the way in was openly doing ket directly in front of a 10 year old during Underworld. It just felt wrong

On 29/07/2016 at 4:19 PM, jonodillieono said:

Entirely the woman's fault not yours, she's the knob in this situation.

Yeah I'm the same with kids, I'm perfectly happy them being there I just don't like to be near them. Not because they annoy me or anything like that as they're perfectly fine, just because I swear an awful amount and may potentially dabble in other things. I don't want to be a bad influence in front of the child.

I was at Bluedot festival last weekend and one of our group who we met on the way in was openly doing ket directly in front of a 10 year old during Underworld. It just felt wrong

Thanks, nice to hear it's not just me that thinks she was daft for remaining sitting during the crowd exit!

Yeah agree doing ket with kids around isn't the best decision, some people definitely need to reign in it a bit and be more aware of their surroundings.

On 28/06/2016 at 10:57 PM, Alan_C said:

Was anyone camped in Lower Mead? There was one group of scousers right next to us who were out of their face for the whole festival. They were constantly arguing with each other, and on one of the nights one of them threatened to stab their 'mate'. All of this was over ridiculous petty stuff as well. On Sunday night they heard someone snoring in another tent so they started shouting they would burn their tent down. One of them literally spat every other minute. Them horrible ones bringing up all their snots and sounding like a Gorilla.