Knobs

elias

18 minutes ago, DaddyBacon said:

I'm a big lover of dance music but Silver Hayes was a real disappointment. I even left Sonic before Tensnake on saturday night as the atmosphere was very uncomfortable. That seemed to be where the bell ends congregate. Same with the Pyramid but with straightpeg cider and carling drinkers who's faces are fixed in miserable disdain. I'm sorry but I totally disagree about scousers. I did eventually meet a couple of nice ones but the majority do their city no favours whatsoever. I would love to have them banned from the festival but it would be unfair on the minority of pleasant ones. They seem to either want to cause bother or extort others to pay for their thrills. Remember before the super fence when there were thousands of them at every turn intent on robbing or mugging people? Thats largely gone thankfully but their presence still makes me feel very uneasy.

Why at the end of every festival is there always one person who feels a need to have a pop at Scousers?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, DaddyBacon said:

I'm a big lover of dance music but Silver Hayes was a real disappointment. I even left Sonic before Tensnake on saturday night as the atmosphere was very uncomfortable. That seemed to be where the bell ends congregate. Same with the Pyramid but with straightpeg cider and carling drinkers who's faces are fixed in miserable disdain. I'm sorry but I totally disagree about scousers. I did eventually meet a couple of nice ones but the majority do their city no favours whatsoever. I would love to have them banned from the festival but it would be unfair on the minority of pleasant ones. They seem to either want to cause bother or extort others to pay for their thrills. Remember before the super fence when there were thousands of them at every turn intent on robbing or mugging people? Thats largely gone thankfully but their presence still makes me feel very uneasy.

Haha, they're not that bad. I'd rather be in a field full of Scousers, than a field full of judgemental pricks. :) 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why at the end of every festival is there always one person who feels a need to have a pop at Scousers?

Probably just a coincidence?

I have lived in Liverpool and it's a great place with great passionate fun people, there is, however, a sub culture within the city that seems to noticeably exaggerate the accent and act like bellends. It makes them stand out and (because of their behaviour) reinforces the stereotype view of "scousers" as skallies and ne-er-do-wells. Most northern cities have the same Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, young lads (and lasses) who exaggerate their accents and behave like twats. If you come into contact with such you will probably feel the same about Geordies, Mancs or whoever.

Just youth "culture" innit?

Met a few lovely people from Liverpool this year. The girl who kindly gave my missus a Coldplay wristband, a few hilarious blokes in the Avalon Inn and a couple of lads who directed me to the taxi rank at the bronze gate on Monday morning. 

Stereotype or not, the girls arriving on the coach with the rollers in their hair (loads of them) is one of my favourite things about Wednesday!

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Stereotype or not, the girls arriving on the coach with the rollers in their hair (loads of them) is one of my favourite things about Wednesday!

It was a great sight at the coach park last year for sure.  Sort of a shame to miss the spectacle this year, but our great queue neighbours, who were utterly welcoming from the moment we arrived and insisted on us enjoying the night with them more than made up for it, so Nat, Kevin and Kelvin with your 9 tents in a trolley, I hope you had a fantastic time and thanks from my son and I for the friendly company overnight.

Honestly, I'm a bit loved up post fest at the moment with all the friend requests on FB yielding lots of great pics, but this year was virtually knob free for me.  I loved the people there, from the moment I got there til the moment I left.

I didn't really mean this to be a thread about bad experiences with people at the festival, rather the lack of them.
I should have chosen the title more wisely. Given the number of unhappy posts perhaps I should change it to 'Knobs and Knockers'.
Sometimes I amuse even myself.  ;)

A daft knob ruined his own Sigur Ros experience by taking exception to my (ridiculously polite) request that he chat rather than yell.  I suspect marching powder may have been involved cos that was a worrying amount of rage over nothing offensive at all.

Apart from that surreal moment, everyone was delightful.

I saw very few knobs.

But while waiting for Muse, there was a group of knobs infront of me, and one thought it would be funny to splash piss into his mates face. I suddenly felt something warm hit me, and looked up to see his mate frantically get out his hand sanitiser from his bag and rub it over his face. I insisted on some too.

I posted this in the 'F*cked people' thread but there were a few suggestions that we was a 'knobhead' ( @stuartbert two hats, 2016) as opposed to just wasted:

Whilst chilling by our tents on Weds at about 5pm one of our group got a call from her husband along the lines of 'I've just seen someone come out of our tent, I'm going to get security and bring them back to the tent. Get rid of anything that security shouldn't see'.

A few minutes later the husband, security and the trespasser were back at the tent and to cut a long story the kid had been caught 'brown-handed' after going into their tent and taken a really horrible shit then using a thermorest and some yeo valley bags to wipe with. He must have had a bad belly as well as being fucked; it was such a state. Such a horrible way to start the festival. 

I've never heard of such a thing before but the security asked the couple who's tent it was if they were happy for the chap to carry on with his festival and they said yes, as it wasn't like he stole anything, he just made a mistake whilst of his nut. I think the couple assume that Glastonbury is as important to everyone as it is to them so would have felt guilty to take it away from him.

Interestingly the next day I cold hear his friends explain to him what he'd done as he had no recollection at all. His first response was how grateful he was to them that he was still in the festival. It didn't stop the group from being the most repulsive neighbors I've ever had at any festival though. Not enough to ruin the experience, but waking up to hear two lads trying to shit in the same bucket in the same time whilst in their tents for 'banter points' isn't much of a hangover cure. To the best of my knowledge he never apologised for it either.

That on the first day of an almost week long festival was quite horrific.

Other than that one instance I think I met far fewer knobs than usual. I think there is something to be said for challenging conditions - I think it can make people more aware and go out their way to help people more.

i had an experience on saturday at the other stage , met a guy who was on his own , got chatting , he was a scouser an he recognised my accent.. manchester  ,so he started telling me he had jibbed in, wearing a fake wristband or more like a similar wristband , similar age to me ...early 40s , wasn't drinking , or particularly bothered about the music etc...

not really following the Knobs thread here..... but it dawned on me later that he was what id call an old school jibber/grafter!  and the reason for his visit was to steal from tents etc... was typical off lads i know in manchester that will follow things like glasto if theres big money too be made !  i had always wondered why people who had desperately gone through the ticket day process to get here would then start risking that by stealing from others tents etc.... but after meeting him i now know theres people like him on site ! professional 

criminals basically!!  and thefts are not random.....theres obvs more off his type doing the same !! i always use the lockups but its 

definitely made me more aware in future !!  he said he had jibbed in at the gate when it was busy but i think he came in with bent security or staff etc.... had no tent , nothing except his thieving fingers!!  

3 minutes ago, myers said:

i had an experience on saturday at the other stage , met a guy who was on his own , got chatting , he was a scouser an he recognised my accent.. manchester  ,so he started telling me he had jibbed in, wearing a fake wristband or more like a similar wristband , similar age to me ...early 40s , wasn't drinking , or particularly bothered about the music etc...

not really following the Knobs thread here..... but it dawned on me later that he was what id call an old school jibber/grafter!  and the reason for his visit was to steal from tents etc... was typical off lads i know in manchester that will follow things like glasto if theres big money too be made !  i had always wondered why people who had desperately gone through the ticket day process to get here would then start risking that by stealing from others tents etc.... but after meeting him i now know theres people like him on site ! professional 

criminals basically!!  and thefts are not random.....theres obvs more off his type doing the same !! i always use the lockups but its 

definitely made me more aware in future !!  he said he had jibbed in at the gate when it was busy but i think he came in with bent security or staff etc.... had no tent , nothing except his thieving fingers!!  

Thieving did seem to be a lot more rife this year. We camped in Kidney mead and seemed to miss it luckily, but heard loads of stories about tent theft. 

2 minutes ago, dj matt james said:

Thieving did seem to be a lot more rife this year. We camped in Kidney mead and seemed to miss it luckily, but heard loads of stories about tent theft. 

yes, we stayed in big ground and i never heard off any issues there but if guys like i met are on site , then there not stupid..... they will know the best targets are probably pennards or oxlyers !, 

10 minutes ago, myers said:

yes, we stayed in big ground and i never heard off any issues there but if guys like i met are on site , then there not stupid..... they will know the best targets are probably pennards or oxlyers !, 

real shame - since the fence was introduced it looked like tent thefts were slowly dwindling.

We were in Paines and I wasn't feeling too great, so had to get a relatively early night on the Saturday night. Unfortunately we were camping next to a girl who spoke so loudly that she sounded like a megaphone had been implanted in her voicebox and she had picked up an Australian guy that evening, coming back to the tent at half 4 in the morning and proceeded to have a shout conversation at him about everything (I and everyone else in a 15 meter radius know all about her passion for climbing, how she's always wanted to travel Asia, etc...) and then fucking singing Adele. Even he hushed her at that point. Anyway, about a half hour into this, my girlfriend asked her through the tent to please keep it down, only to be screamed at that she was a fucking dickhead and what was she even doing at a fucking festival. I can completely understand having a chat, but the volume was just incredible - how anyone can be so completely situationally unaware astounds me.

It gave me some satisfaction when they woke up in the morning, she was shout talking at him and he told her he just had to go and she asked him to stay but he just walked away without saying anything.

I can understand if she was just fucked from drugs, but she maintained that volume from Wednesday to Monday.

6 minutes ago, wonker said:

We were in Paines and I wasn't feeling too great, so had to get a relatively early night on the Saturday night. Unfortunately we were camping next to a girl who spoke so loudly that she sounded like a megaphone had been implanted in her voicebox and she had picked up an Australian guy that evening, coming back to the tent at half 4 in the morning and proceeded to have a shout conversation at him about everything (I and everyone else in a 15 meter radius know all about her passion for climbing, how she's always wanted to travel Asia, etc...) and then fucking singing Adele. Even he hushed her at that point. Anyway, about a half hour into this, my girlfriend asked her through the tent to please keep it down, only to be screamed at that she was a fucking dickhead and what was she even doing at a fucking festival. I can completely understand having a chat, but the volume was just incredible - how anyone can be so completely situationally unaware astounds me.

It gave me some satisfaction when they woke up in the morning, she was shout talking at him and he told her he just had to go and she asked him to stay but he just walked away without saying anything.

I can understand if she was just fucked from drugs, but she maintained that volume from Wednesday to Monday.

What is the Glastonbury Festival etiquette for late night noise? My field was silent after dark other than a bunch of loud young 'uns right next to my tent, who often hung out being as loud as they liked. When everyone else is clearly trying to sleep, it seemed rather selfish, especially at a festival like Glastonbury where there's a million fun things to do other than staying at your tent when others want to sleep.

Edited by Little Andy

3 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

What is the Glastonbury Festival etiquette for late night noise? My field was silent after dark other than a bunch of loud young guns right next to my tent, who often hung out being as loud as they liked. When everyone else is clearly trying to sleep, it seemed rather selfish, especially at a festival like Glastonbury where there's a million fun things to do other than staying at your tent when others want to sleep.

Earplugs if you don;t like it i reckon. That's what i do.  We had tents playing very loud dubstep literally all night and in to the wee hours but it is a festival and they have a right to party so i stuck the earplugs in and face mask on and got me head down.  I would not go to Glasto without ear plugs.

5 minutes ago, Abensie said:

Earplugs if you don;t like it i reckon. That's what i do.  We had tents playing very loud dubstep literally all night and in to the wee hours but it is a festival and they have a right to party so i stuck the earplugs in and face mask on and got me head down.  I would not go to Glasto without ear plugs.

Interesting. Thats my 3rd one I've been to and they were the only ones I have experienced to not be quiet at night. I see what you're saying though.

Edited by Little Andy

4 hours ago, DAVA said:

Nail on the head. Me, I'm from the North, I can tell what the Northern accents are, but south from Birmingham - unless you're from Bristol, Gloucestershire, Cornwall/Devon & London I wouldn't be able to tell the difference as everyone sounds the same to me.

The Northern accents do stand out a lot more, especially the Scouse, Manc & Geordie accents.

You should also try having a Hull accent, sometimes southerners think im speaking foreign

Definitely agree that the crowd was a lot more chilled this year. Even down the front for Skepta which you would expect to be full of bellends there were people having a chat, sharing their beers around and most importantly, picking others up in the pit and making sure they were all okay. Even on Wednesday when people were clearly knackered after being in their cars for hours to get in and carrying loads of stuff miles, everyone seemed pretty sound.

So happy not to hear the whoosh of those NOS canisters :-) Most people were, as usual, totally lovely. The only a-holes we came across were at New Order, who after doing a ton of coke set off a rocket a few feet away from us, so flippin' dangerous! Also at New Order, a group of 'entitled' loud, posh hipster types. There were 4 of them originally, then a conga of their mates (male & female) turned up, pushing through aggressively and shouting for people they'd lost on the way. No interest in the music at all. So we moved a bit further back in front of 4 pissed lads who were hilarious and good fun. Had a good singalong and boogie with them.

stood on a few wellies on my way out of coldplay during the last song,the mud was hideous towards them toilets, so i offer my deepest apologies,

i dont ask people to move out my way but would be nice to have a 50/50 type movement when face to face on a path, as if im coming at you head on and i shift to side view and you carry on head on we are still going to collide,

good festival had a good time as always, ran out of beer saturday afternoon :(