Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Blimey. 3 nights. I had no idea he was that popular. Not really my bag but selling so many tickets suggests he's plenty big* enough to headline. 

*I know it's all relative. 

yep, and the reviews seemed to be largely positive considering it was mostly (or entirely?) just him, a guitar and a loop pedal. guys got balls. i won't be there but i'm sure he'll pack out the Pyramid field (which i'm pretty sure he already did when he was third down in 2014)

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

not a chance it's gonna be GnR - they're just looking for some easy money with that one. Download, R/L and IOW will be throwing money their way i bet

Download will break the bank for them. I'd be shocked if they do a UK festival and it isn't Download! 

Ed Sheeran - definite

Radiohead - hopeful, but not sure whether they will still be touring. Could see them doing it as a sort if "farewell for now" show

The Stone Roses - possible. Loved them when I was a kid and saw them a few times. Feels like the moment has passed and I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't play.

Foo Fighters - Chance has passed, I think. Doesn't seem they will be doing anything together for a while.

Pink Floyd/ FM - no chance

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

The Stone Roses - possible. Loved them when I was a kid and saw them a few times. Feels like the moment has passed and I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't play.

even though if they do play i'm sure it'll be their first festival with a whole new album to play from (not that anybody wants that, mind...) it would seem like one of the few times Glastonbury has gotten a huge act after every other festival has had their fun with them. i mean, TITP twice before Glastonbury in the space of 4 years!? not that it'll matter on the day. having them there will be glorious. just a bit shit that they decided to rake in the £ (twice over) before finally deciding it's time to do Glastonbury. just hope Ian has one of his rare good vocal days

My headliners this year were...

Friday - Underworld

Saturday - SE corner for a night 

Sunday - Cyndi Lauper.

As much as the festival isn't about Pyramid headliners, I'd like to watch another again. I haven't seen one in the last 2 festivals now and would love to see another.

It won't be Ed Sheeran though!!

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

even though if they do play i'm sure it'll be their first festival with a whole new album to play from (not that anybody wants that, mind...) it would seem like one of the few times Glastonbury has gotten a huge act after every other festival has had their fun with them. i mean, TITP twice before Glastonbury in the space of 4 years!? not that it'll matter on the day. having them there will be glorious. just a bit shit that they decided to rake in the £ (twice over) before finally deciding it's time to do Glastonbury. just hope Ian has one of his rare good vocal days

The last sentence. That's the worry. I can't see them agreeing to do it in front of a live TV audience. Unless his vocals have improved on the latest tour, of course.

Just now, The Red Telephone said:

The last sentence. That's the worry. I can't see them agreeing to do it in front of a live TV audience. Unless his vocals have improved on the latest tour, of course.

yeah they've not let any of their concerts/festivals be filmed have they? apart from Fools Gold at the end of Made of Stone. is a wonder if they'll allow the full thing to be shown, or maybe just a portion. pretty much a given that the headliners are shown on the BBC now (even managed to sway the Stones in to showing at least half of theirs)

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah they've not let any of their concerts/festivals be filmed have they? apart from Fools Gold at the end of Made of Stone. is a wonder if they'll allow the full thing to be shown, or maybe just a portion. pretty much a given that the headliners are shown on the BBC now (even managed to sway the Stones in to showing at least half of theirs)

I'm sure that version of Fools Gold is 12 minutes long, 10 minutes of which is instrumental too!

Happy to be proved wrong, as it could be magical....but with a less-partisan crowd bellowing out the words the frailities may be a bit more evident. 

16 minutes ago, Ben Holland said:

Roses wont do it. Bbc and Ian brown doesn't work. It will be abysmal for the tv audience. And I'm from Manchester and love the roses.

Radiohead, Sheeran & The Killers is my guess.

The Killers aren't gonna do it again. they've lost all momentum and, just like Kings of Leon, are doomed to release mediocre albums every few years that reach number one but quickly fall off the map, and those type of acts are booked by V and TITP, not Glastonbury (guess you could say the same about Coldplay and Muse, but they're both homegrown acts with a Glastonbury history, which those other two are not - there's a reason they've both not been booked again since first headlining)

All this talk about the BBC and broadcasting them live.. is their headline set at T in the Park not going to be broadcast next Friday? Pretty sure it only wasn't broadcast last time due to the Made of Stone film. Fools Gold at Isle of White got broadcast on Sky Atlantic but that was it I think

4 hours ago, Wakey321 said:

Radiohead, Biffy, Ed Sheeran

Legend - Rod Stewart (Maybe with The Faces)

Biffy isn't happening, if R&L didn't want to give them outright headline and thats their crowd then Glasto won't. I think the Legends slot has a chance though, Elton I don't. I actually think since the new bookers places took over, over the last couple of years the amount of repeats went right up this year. There was a lot of acts about that just weren't booked and bands not in the limelight like TDCC and Editors booked again!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Download will break the bank for them. I'd be shocked if they do a UK festival and it isn't Download! 

Well supposedly Download don't have GNR, I'd believe it from who its come from and their new scheme for next year alone! If you had GNR you won't be offering money options out freely to people which they are. I feel it'll look even weaker than this year....if indeed it can!

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I imagine there would be something like what the Stones had in place but I think it helps that it would be the 1st headline slot after the full release of a new album.

42 minutes ago, jparx said:

I just hope they don't snatch Weezer away from us :wacko: 

I wouldn't worry about that.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Killers aren't gonna do it again. they've lost all momentum and, just like Kings of Leon, are doomed to release mediocre albums every few years that reach number one but quickly fall off the map, and those type of acts are booked by V and TITP, not Glastonbury (guess you could say the same about Coldplay and Muse, but they're both homegrown acts with a Glastonbury history, which those other two are not - there's a reason they've both not been booked again since first headlining)

Agreed about The Killers, I feel Glasto would have booked them again as they have Arctic Monkeys, same theory as you applying for KOL.