Headliner predictions 2017

swede

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ellipsis is being sold for buttons though, you've been able to pick it up for a couple of quid on didgital sites such as Google Play for weeks and Amazon/HMV have been selling the vinyl for a tenner for a while now.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's doing worse than expected, could be that it's being pushed by the label.

I was pretty shocked at their recent success. I was about the comment on how they're clearly past their peak, when I saw that the sales numbers suggested otherwise.

Maybe Biffy will headline one day after all, if they keep this up.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

Just get Starkey on skins - there is none better

I agree. He will be able to actually play all their songs. And he knows when to rein it in. Despite the stinky atmosphere coming from the Gallaghers in 2004, Zak's drumming was a high point, he played Supersonic properly, without adding in any unnecessary beats. And when it came to My Generation, he played it as well as anyone alive could.

Zak is the man!

2 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

do many bands of their level, make that many appearances at Glastonbury? It'd be a sixth appearance I reckon

Not sure about total number of performances, but Kasabian certainly plugged away for a good while before finally being given the top slot.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That doesn't necessarily mean it's doibg worse than expected, could be that it's being pushed by the label.

I was pretty shocked at their recent success. I was about the comment on how they're clearly past their peak, when I saw that the sales numbers suggested otherwise.

It's more than possible that the label are behind it. They most likely sold as many full price albums to their fanbase as they expected to, then dropped the price dramatically to appeal to those who will buy anything as long as it's cheap. Never underestimate the power of the Google Play £1.99 Album of the Week.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The biggest question around any Oasis comeback would be who would be on drums? Oasis drummers are like Doctor Who, regularly changing yet every generation will have their own favourite who they'll claim was the definitive and best...

here's the choices

• John "Stumpy" Pepys- Died in a bizarre gardening accident that the authorities said was "best left unsolved."
  • Eric "Stumpy Joe" Childs - Choked on vomit of unknown origin, perhaps but not necessarily his own, because "you can't really dust for vomit."
  • Peter "James" Bond - Spontaneously combusted on stage during a jazz-blues or blues-jazz festival on the Isle of Lucy, leaving behind what has been described alternately as a "globule" or a "stain"
  • Mick Shrimpton - Exploded onstage.
  • Joe "Mama" Besser - Claimed he "couldn't take this 4/4 shit"; according to an MTV interview with Oasis in November 1991, he disappeared along with the equipment during their Japanese tour. He is either dead or playing jazz
  • Richard "Ric" Shrimpton - Allegedly sold his dialysis machine for drugs; presumed dead.
  • Sammy "Stumpy" Bateman - Died trying to jump over a tank full of sharks while on a tricycle in a freak show.
  • Scott "Skippy" Scuffleton - Fate unknown.
  • Chris "Poppa" Cadeau - Eaten by his pet python Cleopatra.
  • Plus 9 other drummers at various times (Probably between 1970 and 1981) all of whom are dead.

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That doesn't necessarily mean it's doibg worse than expected, could be that it's being pushed by the label.

The thing with Ellipsis is that it was really bad.

5 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

now that we're talking reunions again 

5c02a1f1717303ab52456a4530ca5701.jpg

i recall Sting being on the bill sometime in the late 90s.  he was interviewed in the programme and was asked who he'd be seeing while at the festival

"Van the Man" he replied.  Van Morrison was always on back then.

he was then asked what he'd do if it rained.  his reply - get this - "Man the van"!

i know, i know.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

i recall Sting being on the bill sometime in the late 90s.  he was interviewed in the programme and was asked who he'd be seeing while at the festival

"Van the Man" he replied.  Van Morrison was always on back then.

he was then asked what he'd do if it rained.  his reply - get this - "Man the van"!

i know, i know.

National treasure.

I could be wrong, pretty hazy memory - but I thought part of the whole get female headliners drive wasn't just about getting female headliners who were currently big enough to headline, but also about giving female artists a step up to that level... So in that sense it doesn't really matter if Gaga is 'headline worthy' at this moment in time or not, because she might be after headlining Glastonbury?

That said she's done pretty huge shows already, so not sure why people are doubting she might headline.