Headliner predictions 2017

swede

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He does the pretty standard 'man plays sentimental songs on his acoustic guitar showing how in-touch with his feelings he is'. There's not a lot of mystery to it - it's practically clichéd how popular that route into music is.

Just seems like a completely inoffensive dude. I dunno how you guys or anyone can actually have strong feelings about disliking him. I'm obviously not a fan but I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to argue what's good musically to people into that music. They're hardly gonna turn around and say "actually you're right, Ed Sheeran's songs are rubbish and he is a weak human. I listened to that Boards of Canada album you were on about and that's much better". Best just to see what artists you do have in common with people and talk about that. :lol:

I haven't argued with anyone... I've called him shit and left it.

There is just something about him I really dislike. There has been since I've ever seen/ heard him in an interview. A completely disingenuous smug bastard.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, COPG said:

I wonder if he "doesn't know" as there might be one of those Prince/Metallica style bookings , if the bigger act agrees then he's subbing.

You are missing the issue with this being that finding someone bigger this year is going to take some doing....the one option just done it lol.

7 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Beans on Toast to headline 2019 then

Exactly! 

The music @dentalplan describes is the sort of stuff I like. But yeah Jay, Chris TT, Ben Marwood, Gavin Osborn, Chuck Ragan, Grace Petrie... I can give you a very long list of people who do that far better than he does. But I guess he uses a loop pedal so it's okay? 

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

More chance of me subbing than Ed Sheeran.

I dunno. If, and it's a huge if, you have Sheeran and Gaga, I'd put Gaga on last. Because even if you like both, it's heartfelt, genuine lovely songs versus a party. You put the party last. If you want to design a show that actually flows. Give them both the same length slot. Call it a double-headliner if you want. 

And despite all my criticisms of Ed, I think he more than self aware enough to get that. And as long he gets paid the same fee and gets the same TV coverage he's not ultimately going to care.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sod brexit - Sod Trump, how the fuck has that drip Ed managed to get that big? In the 33 years I have been on this planet, this is the biggest most baffling question I have ever faced. I can't understand it in any way.

What gets me is the fact if you decide to say you don't like him, like some strange cult - his fans have a right go at you.

Fucking mental.

I think this is related, but I think some people just don't have that big of an interest in music. I spoke to a colleague today who is in love with Michael Buble - no fucking idea why - but she loves him. I asked her what his best song is and she said "feeling Good". Then I asked if she liked the the older version, she said "She didn't even want to know who had sung it". When I told her it was Nina Simone, she stared at me blankly and said "who?"

honestly know idea how some people tie their shoelaces

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You are missing the issue with this being that finding someone bigger this year is going to take some doing....the one option just done it lol.

Is big-ness the only thing that counts towards the headline decision?

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I dunno. If, and it's a huge if, you have Sheeran and Gaga, I'd put Gaga on last. Because even if you like both, it's heartfelt, genuine lovely songs versus a party. You put the party last. If you want to design a show that actually flows. Give them both the same length slot. Call it a double-headliner if you want. 

And despite all my criticisms of Ed, I think he more than self aware enough to get that. And as long he gets paid the same fee and gets the same TV coverage he's not ultimately going to care.

No chance in my opinion, he's prime time BBC Sunday night viewing personified, not a chance he'd play any lower.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He does the pretty standard 'man plays sentimental songs on his acoustic guitar showing how in-touch with his feelings he is'. There's not a lot of mystery to it - it's practically clichéd how popular that route into music is.

Just seems like a completely inoffensive dude. I dunno how you guys or anyone can actually have strong feelings about disliking him. I'm obviously not a fan but I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to argue what's good musically to people into that music. They're hardly gonna turn around and say "actually you're right, Ed Sheeran's songs are rubbish and he is a weak human. I listened to that Boards of Canada album you were on about and that's much better". Best just to see what artists you do have in common with people and talk about that. :lol:

Oh I don't argue with the Sheeranators, I don't claim to be smart but I'm not that stupid.

Me and a couple of others who equally are non-plussed with him have discussed some of his hypocrisies and were overheard. 

1 minute ago, COPG said:

Is big-ness the only thing that counts towards the headline decision?

No, but when you have sold out what he has, got the record sales he has and currently sitting with 16 songs I believe in the top 21 half way through album release week, I'm not sure you can argue it on this case. The festival owners love him clearly as well and it's very much likely to be someone to bump in his position in case of pull out.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No, but when you have sold out what he has, got the record sales he has and currently sitting with 16 songs I believe in the top 21 half way through album release week, I'm not sure you can argue it on this case. The festival owners love him clearly as well and it's very much likely to be someone to bump in his position in case of pull out.

That chart is an utter shambles now (more than it has ever been). I imagine whoever runs through the countdown now on the radio are thinking 'what the fuck are we going to do?'. It'll just be a full album playthrough with Coldplay and chainsmokers chucked in there halfway through.

2 minutes ago, mjsell said:

That chart is an utter shambles now (more than it has ever been). I imagine whoever runs through the countdown now on the radio are thinking 'what the fuck are we going to do?'. It'll just be a full album playthrough with Coldplay and chainsmokers chucked in there halfway through.

Yeah they badly need to find a way to avoid this happening, the same thing happened to a lesser extent with Bieber's last album. I know they just changed the ratio of streams to downloads but clearly it still isn't right. Just bringing back the old rule that only songs designated as singles were eligible for the singles chart would do.

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No chance in my opinion, he's prime time BBC Sunday night viewing personified, not a chance he'd play any lower.

Haven't you just proved my point though? Prime TV time on a Sunday night is 7pm-9pm, not 9pm to 11pm.

Edited by DeanoL

1 hour ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I think this is related, but I think some people just don't have that big of an interest in music. I spoke to a colleague today who is in love with Michael Buble - no fucking idea why - but she loves him. I asked her what his best song is and she said "feeling Good". Then I asked if she liked the the older version, she said "She didn't even want to know who had sung it". When I told her it was Nina Simone, she stared at me blankly and said "who?"

Was she the woman who covered that Muse song?

1 hour ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

honestly know idea how some people tie their shoelaces

It's the same sort of people who prefer Robbie Williams 'Swing When You're Winning' album over the original versions. 

In a world of Mrs Brown's Boys, I've long since accepted that huge swaths of the casual record listening and tv watching public have very weird opinions that I'll never full understand.

I bet they love ham and pineapple pizza's too. 

Edited by Keithy

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Some people were pretty certain Radiohead were playing last year... even after the headliners were all announced!

Then of course everyone was expecting Prince when we got Metallica.

Those were nowhere near as certain as Sheeran. Radiohead was only because Neil kept saying they were playing, and loads of people doubted Prince, we were running well low on potential options and Prince and Metallica were basically the only ones left. Sheeran looks more nailed on this year than any headliner I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

It's the same sort of people who prefer Robbie Williams 'Swing When You're Winning' album over the original versions. 

In a world of Mrs Brown's Boys, I've long since accepted that huge swaths of the casual record listening and tv watching public have very weird opinions that I'll never full understand.

fI bet they love ham and pineapple pizza's too. 

Funny thing, one of my faves is a Hawaiian pizza. Uh oh... :unsure:

Just read the last few pages. Do the people suggesting Ed Sheeran as a sub live under a rock? He's bigger than any act who will be playing Glastonbury this year. Why would he take a sub slot? There's no logic behind it whatsoever, people are just plucking ideas out of nowhere because they don't want him to do it.

38 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Just read the last few pages. Do the people suggesting Ed Sheeran as a sub live under a rock? He's bigger than any act who will be playing Glastonbury this year. Why would he take a sub slot? There's no logic behind it whatsoever, people are just plucking ideas out of nowhere because they don't want him to do it.

The suggestion is it's not all about size. Hell, I mean sure Leonard Cohen was bigger than The Verve but you don't have him headline. 

I accept with everyone else talked about the notion of someone with his status not headlining is weird.

But I don't find that any more or less weird than having a solo act with an acoustic guitar headlining the Pyramid - that's also never happened before and frankly I find equally weird. It'll be a weird situation either way.

I'm now wondering actually with the Green Day thing in that "leak" from the BBC. What if they do go with announcing four headliners: Radiohead, Foos, Green Day and Sheeran. Except Sheeran does 90 minutes in the "legends" slot on the Sunday afternoon. Easy to spin him as "our first contemporary legend". Give the guy headline status, and fee but put him on in a slot when, frankly, his music will work better.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm now wondering actually with the Green Day thing in that "leak" from the BBC. What if they do go with announcing four headliners: Radiohead, Foos, Green Day and Sheeran. Except Sheeran does 90 minutes in the "legends" slot on the Sunday afternoon. Easy to spin him as "our first contemporary legend". Give the guy headline status, and fee but put him on in a slot when, frankly, his music will work better.

That's so insane it might j.......

No. Not a chance.