Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DropBeat said:

Interesting. Maybe they get a shorter sub slot so Foos can still do an extra long headline set on the Sunday?

This makes sense to me.

As Dave will no doubt explain on the night, he has so many hits.

Kaiser chieftains would agree to this to get such a high slot.

I predict a ladder gets climbed.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Beck was good, though - the Kaiser Chiefs are Brexit in musical form.

Aye that's a given. My comparison was that both them and Weller are acts that are more suited/perceived to be more suited to being further down the bill but got the bump to sub thanks to the influence of the headliner.  

12 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

As Dave will no doubt explain on the night, he has so many hits.

Hahaha - "We've got so many songs we want to get through tonight! We are just going to get on with them" - followed by 5 minutes of aimless chat between every song.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They subbed in 2007 and their stock has definitely fallen since then. Here's hoping @wilem's mate is a big fat hairy lie-face

Unfortunately Primal Scream had also taken quite a dip between their 2005 sub spot and their 2013 one but it still didn't stop them doing it. If it is in fact Foo and the lads requesting it to happen then it's always a possibility, just like the Stones seemingly got their way and The Who with Weller

Definitely would've thought that, given the choice, Foos would've gone for Royal Blood instead though, so I'm still skeptical 

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Unfortunately Primal Scream had also taken quite a dip between their 2005 sub spot and their 2013 one but it still didn't stop them doing it. If it is in fact Foo and the lads requesting it to happen then it's always a possibility, just like the Stones seemingly got their way and The Who with Weller

Definitely would've thought that, given the choice, Foos would've gone for Royal Blood instead though, so I'm still skeptical 

KC have supported FF before on at least one occasion.

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Foos > Royal Blood > Kaiser Chiefs would certainly make much more sense. 

I don't see any chance of that run at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

My immediate reaction was 'bullshit' but the more I think about it the more it unfortunately seems plausible. Still don't think it's gonna happen, mind - given the potential for those sub slots Glastonbury will've dropped a massive bollock if Kaisers are the one they've ended up with, and I think it's far more likely that they'll end up lower down the bill. Even third seems far too high for them in 2017 despite them somehow doing an arena tour (if I remember correctly their new album did kind of shite and was a hilarious attempt to branch out in to a more pop market)

I think the thing to remember is that a sub slot at Glasto now isn't necessarily a bigger one that maybe 3rd, it's the get the crowd going/hyped up fun before a headliner and whether is happens or not KC have enough hits to do it. It'd be a bit shit though after they got them to headline JP and open Other.

Dizzle Rascal is the prime example twice over of being booked in a particular slot because of a crowd reaction pre headliner.

Nah, I don't buy it. Source: I day dreamed it was Iggy Pop into Foos so I'm going to stick with that. Plus KC have fallen off the radar so spectacularly it'd be an embarrassing waste of a prime slot for the festival to get what most people now recognise as 'that man off the voice'.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If they have spunkedthe sunday money on Diana Ross & the rest is shite, so be it.

Sunday Line Up

Foos

Kaiser Chiefs

The Kooks

Diana Ross

Shawoddywoddy

Tasmin Archer

Some Bloke out of a pub playing the spoons

A Brass Band

Pablo Honey

I could go for Tasmin Archer on a Sunday afternoon...

Is there a chance we're overreacting and we've assumed KC to be Kaiser Chiefs?  Could be KC and the Sunshine Band.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Surely he just means playing on the same day, so in essence 'supporting' Foos. With the whole fitting in 2 years of music into 1 narrative I can't see this being true. Neither do I believe all bands get to pick their own subs. Maybe the odd one or two, but I highly doubt Foos chose Flo and the lads themselves as sub in 2015, so I'm not sure why they'd get the choice now.

i'd agree that it probably just means playing before them on the same day/stage, not neccassarily directly before them.

i wouldn't put much stock in that "2 years into 1" thing, it's not like the quality and size of acts is going to double, they'll book whoever is touring and available to get this summer, same as every other year.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Thinking about this on the walk into work and it is annoying plausible given the Weller and Beck sub bookings of the last two years. Would be a right shitshow if they took up a space given how many strong potential subs are around and touring this year. 

Every day I love them less and less. 

In each of those cases there was an act largely considered 'sub-sized' on before so they could well still get their space.