Headliner predictions 2017

swede

24 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

I'm absolutely fine with that. I'm already having nightmares about being stood next to casuals, chatting their way through the set waiting for Creep. 

This is the reason why I'm gonna get there  before the sub. Served me well with headliners before and hopefully it'll mean that I'm in the circle with the hardcore massive. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'd disagree, Ed has more main stream appeal and Glastonbury is very much a random cross section of people due to the ball ache getting tickets. I'd say far more 20/30/40 year olds would be into Ed sheeran over the foo fighters. I've only got to look at the people at my work who have got Glastonbury tickets, three first timers who have never even heard of the foo fighters.

I go with around 15 other 20/30 year old, all of them were going to see the Foos in 2015, whereas I don't think any more than 3 or 4 of them stopped around to see Ed after Dolly had finished the year before. 

2 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

This is the reason why I'm gonna get there  before the sub. Served me well with headliners before and hopefully it'll mean that I'm in the circle with the hardcore massive. 

Yeah, Friday is a 7pm Pyramid arrival I think. Which likely means having to suffer through The XX...

2 minutes ago, reflekting said:

I go with around 15 other 20/30 year old, all of them were going to see the Foos in 2015, whereas I don't think any more than 3 or 4 of them stopped around to see Ed after Dolly had finished the year before. 

I guess it's all anecdotal as we all have our own perceptions and we will all just have to wait and see. I personally don't care either way and will not be seeing either of them, but my experience tells me the more bland and mainstream something is the more popular over all it tends to be.

7 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Before the sub would mean 4 hours or so of standing around, not a chance in hell my bladder would hold out that long if I'm on the beers! 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

no need to get there before the sub - just get there right before the sub is ending and slide right on in there when people start leaving

Yeah this, last year between TLSP and Tame Impala, I couldn't believe how easy it was to walk straight into the centre of the pit.

Edit just realised I got there before the Sub! Ignore me (I left for Adele though)

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I really hope he is not confirmed before the resales as he will be the biggest draw for the majority of the mainstream music lovers. I've already seen quotes on twitter saying "if Ed is confirmed we are going to get tickets for Glastonbury". I just know that these people will get tickets who don't care about Glastonbury itself and i won't get mine and fulfill a dream of seeing Radiohead on the Pyramid stage.

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I really hope he is not confirmed before the resales as he will be the biggest draw for the majority of the mainstream music lovers. I've already seen quotes on twitter saying "if Ed is confirmed we are going to get tickets for Glastonbury". I just know that these people will get tickets who don't care about Glastonbury itself and i won't get mine and fulfill a dream of seeing Radiohead on the Pyramid stage.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if you're a veteran of Glastonbury or if you just want tickets to go and see Ed Sheeran. There's no 'right reason' to go to Glastonbury and no correct way to digest it. It's the joy of democracy - you're no more likely to get a ticket than anyone else. My vote is worth the same as Theresa May's, etc. (Well, that analogy kind of works. Chances are, you'll be more organised than any of this lot, especially with all of the help around here, so actually have 6 tickets for the lottery instead of 1.)

Not to shit on your parade - I do hope you do get a ticket sorted - but I don't really rate the feeling of entitlement people have because they do Glastonbury 'properly'. 

I like Ed Sheeran, not my sort of music but he's clearly class and is one of those people in music who really deserves their success, he bloody worked for it.

But I really don't like this new song :( Sounds like it's catered for the Radio One audience rather than written for him. I'm not really sure how I even justify why I think that, it's just how I feel.

6 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Sounds like it's catered for the Radio One audience rather than written for him. I'm not really sure how I even justify why I think that, it's just how I feel.

Which song are you talking about here? I have the exact same thoughts about Castle on the Hill, feels very much like a Mumford & Sons track to me, whereas Shape of You is much more of what I was expecting when I heard he was releasing new stuff. 

Oh i totally get your point, I don't think I deserve a ticket over anyone else, its just harder to take when it is losing out to someone who is only going on a whim to see Ed Sheeran rather than someone who wants to go and experience the joys for the first time etc. The way of life I suppose. Would never want to take away the chance of someone getting a ticket if they genuinely dreamed of going. I just know that there will be people who go purely to see him and will think the rest of it was "shit". That will be hard for me to take if I don't go.

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Oh i totally get your point, I don't think I deserve a ticket over anyone else, its just harder to take when it is losing out to someone who is only going on a whim to see Ed Sheeran rather than someone who wants to go and experience the joys for the first time etc. The way of life I suppose. Would never want to take away the chance of someone getting a ticket if they genuinely dreamed of going. I just know that there will be people who go purely to see him and will think the rest of it was "shit". That will be hard for me to take if I don't go.

You'll get sorted. We gotchu.

Because I hate myself, I decided to listen to the tunes... with as much of an open mind as I can..

Shape of you. Shit lyrics, sounds like it should be for someone else. Like it was done for a rapper and they have given it him. Potentially a decent pop song if they got rid of sheeran and beefed it up.
His voice is horrendous. The tune doesn't suit him. 

Castle tune.... too bland to be anything. It offends me greatly. His shitty whiney voice. Sounds like a shit U2 b-side, mumford and sons or the script. Music for old grannies. In fact - my grandma likes Abba.

Music for people who wet the bed

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Because I hate myself, I decided to listen to the tunes... with as much of an open mind as I can..

Shape of you. Shit lyrics, sounds like it should be for someone else. Like it was done for a rapper and they have given it him. Potentially a decent pop song if they got rid of sheeran and beefed it up.

Castle tune.... too bland to be anything. It offends me greatly. His shitty whiney voice. Sounds like a shit U2 b-side, mumford and sons or the script. Music for old grannies.

So we'll see you at the front for E-Shizzle then Fuzz?

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Shape of You was intended for Rihanna originally (which explains why it sounds like Work), but when they included the Van Morrison reference Ed realised that it's not something that she'd sing so kept it for himself.

All very odd imo.

Bit late but here goes:

2005: White Stripes / Coldplay / No-one

2007: No-one / The Killers / No-one

2008: Kings of Leon / Massive Attack / The Verve

2009: Neil Young / Bon Iver / Blur

2010: Didn’t go

2011: U2 / Flogging Molly / Bellowhead featuring QOTSA

2013: Goat (Hell Stage) / Rolling Stones / Phoenix

2014: Arcade Fire / Metallica / Peatbog Faeries

2015: Super Furry Animals / No-one / The Who

2016: Sigur Ros / Treacherous Orchestra / No-one

I make that 12 out of a possible 27

. Slightly less than I thought (thought it would be over 50%), and just a few regrets there.

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah it's a weird one, the lyrics are horridly objectifying and bland, and the instrumentation isn't his style at all. But apparently it was a last minute addition to the album and not indicative of the general sound he's going for so as long as that's true I'll cope.