• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, that's enough Sheeran talk

2011: U2, Coldplay, QOTSA

2014: Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins/Mogwai, Kasabian

2015: Enter Shikari, Suede, The Who

2016: Muse, M83, Coldplay

7/12 Pyramid headliners. Coldplay 2016 the runaway winner. QOTSA and M83 the best of the other stages.

It's a slow day at work so I'll join in:

2010: Gorillaz/Muse/Rodrigo y Gabriela 

2011: Primal Scream/Coldplay/QotSA

2013: Chic/Rolling Stones/Phoenix

2014: Arcade Fire/Metallica/Disclosure

2015: Arcadia Landing Show/Kanye West/Chemical Brothers

2016: Muse/Adele/Coldplay

10/18 Pyramid - I'm surprised it's that high to be honest, I'd love to do a whole weekend without seeing a Pyramid act.

Out of those 18 I only felt let down by Gorillaz and Disclosure - Kanye wasn't great but I only really went along to see what it would be like and wasn't expecting to love it. 

Favorites include Arcade Fire (possibly the best night of my life), QotSA, Phoenix and Chemical Brothers.

Got too drunk to remember most of Primal Scream and enjoy the Stones as much as I should have done. 

The different between Adele and Ed is that with Adele, although she may not be someone's cup of tea a lot of folk know she's good and would put on a good performance so went along to watch.

With Ed, people seem to have a genuine hatred of him and wish to avoid at all costs. So I can't see Pyramid being as packed as it was for Adele. It'll still be rammed, but I don't think quite as much as last years Saturday slot.

Whether it'll be a bigger crowd than Adele I dunno, but it'll be a similar sort of size.  They both have the advantage of not being the sort of act that a lot of the attendees would normally pay to see - coupled with the fact that its Saturday night and a debut headline performance - so will attract a lot of curious folk and floating voters.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Whether it'll be a bigger crowd than Adele I dunno, but it'll be a similar sort of size.  They both have the advantage of not being the sort of act that a lot of the attendees would normally pay to see - coupled with the fact that its Saturday night and a debut headline performance - so will attract a lot of curious folk and floating voters.

Ed played in 2014 though. After Dolly, 3rd from the top of the bill in front of one of the largest crowds ever in that field. So a lot of people have seen him or chose not to already. 

There were a lot more people there for Ed than for Arcade Fire of Metallica who actually headlined. 

Looked, erm, ok.

Funny that the Foo Fighters are the most "special" of the three headliners this year. 

Edited by The Nal

9 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

The different between Adele and Ed is that with Adele, although she may not be someone's cup of tea a lot of folk know she's good and would put on a good performance so went along to watch.

With Ed, people seem to have a genuine hatred of him and wish to avoid at all costs. So I can't see Pyramid being as packed as it was for Adele. It'll still be rammed, but I don't think quite as much as last years Saturday slot.

Idk it's not like there weren't a truckload of people whinging on along the lines of 'Adele's music is so slow and depressing I don't want that on a Saturday night'. Obviously Adele as a draw is in a league of her own that even a resurrected John Lennon would struggle to compete with but it'd be a surprise if Ed didn't get the biggest non-Adele crowd for a headliner since the Stones.

Edited by Zac Quinn

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ed played in 2014 though. After Dolly, 3rd from the top of the bill in front of one of the largest crowds ever in that field. So a lot of people have seen him or chosen not to already. 

There were a lot more people there for Ed than for Arcade Fire of Metallica who actually headlined. 

Looked, erm, ok.

And at that point not only was Thinking Out Loud yet to become one of the biggest selling songs of the century, but his last album had come out so close to the festival that most of the people in that field wouldn't have had a chance to hear it let alone be swept up by the hype around it (from memory it was announced as having sailed to number one in its first week whilst he was on stage). So that crowd was essentially mostly there on the back of his first album, and thus he'll do even bigger numbers this time.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ed played in 2014 though. After Dolly, 3rd from the top of the bill in front of one of the largest crowds ever in that field. So a lot of people have seen him or chose not to already. 

True, but 3 years is a long time and general turnover in the audience will still leave a substantial number of folk there who've never seen him before.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Funny that the Foo Fighters are the most "special" of the three headliners this year. 

The least, I'd say.  The Ed and The Head at least have a bit of scarcity value to them.  Supply and demand.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adele's crowd was big - but that big?  Dunno if it was substantially more sizable than, say, Kasabian or Coldplay the next evening.

Based on trying (foolishly) to make a run from the Other back to Big Ground to grab extra rum between Chvrches and New Order, and hitting a solid wall of humanity, I'd say it was a bloody big crowd.  Absolute log jam trying to get through by Hawkwell, and there were still people trying to get into the field.

And anything that stops me from getting more rum is an impressive feat.

Edited by Quark

I think Adele's crowd was substantially bigger than Kasabian and I don't think it will be the same crowd as Ed's.

Using me as an unscientific example I was looking forward to seeing Adele, knowing that it would be a Glastonbury Moment. Ed Sheeran on the other hand will be avoided like the plague - well not Kasabian levels of plague so maybe like a bad dose of flu.

Some Pyramid headliners can coax old-school Glastonbury people down from the trees and some can't.