Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

I was really hoping for something better stage wise from Underworld, given that they were at one point pioneers of all dance music visual design cross over stuff.

I was tripping my tits off. It worked for me!

My sunday night was Cyndi Lauper in the acoustic. She was superb. Crowd was large enough to create a good atmosphere, but the tent wasnt anything like full.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

50 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You didn't enjoy EW&F?

It maybe didn't have end to end consistency but the big tunes all ticked the box.

I saw EWF, and I enjoyed it.. But for me it's just that looking back at the TV footage, and some youtube clips, I'm pretty sure with hindsight that I had at least 2 better options and so wish I'd been somewhere else.

Same applies for New Order the previous night actually.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Interesting he's gone that route, I guess surprise releasing an album will no longer be cool anymore. 

6 minutes ago, incident said:

I saw EWF, and I enjoyed it.. But for me it's just that looking back at the TV footage, and some youtube clips, I'm pretty sure with hindsight that I had at least 2 better options and so wish I'd been somewhere else.

Still happy with my choice - we had a right good giggle and/or boogie.

50 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

I was really hoping for something better stage wise from Underworld, given that they were at one point pioneers of all dance music visual design cross over stuff.

We rolled through WH during Earth, Wind and Fire and were also unimpressed. :/

I saw Underworld three times last year. They were all decent, tho Glasto was bottom.

2014: Arcade Fire, Mogwai, Massive Attack

2015: Florence + The Machine, Public Service Broadcasting, The Who/Chems (should've just started at Chems)

2016: Sigur Ros, James Blake, LCD Soundsystem

2017: Radiohead... and I'm hoping for an other stage headliner and one on the park.

3/9

Edited by TomViolence

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a better booking than Phoenix.....

Headlining Governors Ball in NYC are Tool, Chance the Rapper, Phoenix and Childish Gambino. 

Coachella has Kendrick Lamar closing their fest (Beyonce demanded the Saturday) 

All of those except for Tool, I would say, are below Ed in terms of quality bookings as headliners of major festivals. 

2009- Neil Young, Bruce, The Prodigy

2010-  Sasha, Muse, Stevie

2011- U2, Chemical Brothers, Kool and the gang

2013- Chic, The Stones, Bobby Womack

2014- Arcadia, Metallica, Kasabian,

2015- Florence, The Mothership, The Who

2016- Muse, Adele, Coldplay

New Order was a bit flat to be fair. Had seen them in Wolverhampton at the Civic Hall in November before and were fantastic so that was a shame. 

Mine for the Pyramid is:

1995: Oasis, Pulp
2014: Kasabian (First hour)
2015: No one
2016: Muse (one track), Coldplay (First hour)

Edited by wozwebs

28 minutes ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

2015- Florence, The Mothership, The Who

2016- Muse, Adele, Coldplay

I've only been these two years, but I chose the same headliners, except for choosing an early trip to the SE corner instead of The Who.

I have to ask (though I'm sure you'll have answered this before) but considering your nick here, why no EWF?

2015:

Florence (amazing)

Kanye for 20 minutes (nah), Mothership (great fun)

Chemicals Brothers (great end to the weekend but will always gaze longingly at Ryan Adams on The Park)

2016:

Underworld (great fun)

New Order (not as good as they were in Glasgow earlier in the year)

LCD

giphy.gif

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

All of them except Tool are more interesting acts than Ed tho. I wouldn't be complaining.

I know what you're saying but I've seen those acts. They either aren't headliner status (Gambino), are disappointing in festival settings (Kendrick, Phoenix), or are just a letdown in general (Chance had the worst show I saw last year). 

At least Ed has proven he can sell out a huge stadium and make it enjoyable for people. It may not be for you and I, but the guy is big enough.  

The biggest mistake people can make is judging the fest on the headliners. I get that it's good to get high profile acts to match its 'status', but I honestly have rarely had any interest in any of the Pyramid headliners the years I've been. (Woudln't be saying that if I'd been able to go to the Boss/Neil Young year)

I find the Pyramid Stage is often the least inspiring, especially as so many big acts these days struggle to put on anything that doesn't just sound like them playing the CD while moving around a bit (Muse, Coldplay, Adele...). Beyonce was one of the few that really blew me away, and I am no fan!

The best stuff for me has always been on the other stages: Public Service Broadcasting (Glade), LCD Soundsystem (Other), Mercury Rev (Park)...

Just now, Little Andy said:

2014 - Arcade Fire, Jake Bugg, Kasabian
2015 - Florence & The Machine, Kanye West, The Who

2016 - Muse, Adele, Coldplay

8/9 Pyramid Headliners

From best to worse, they go ...

1) Kasabian

2) Florence & The Machine

3) Coldplay

4) Adele

5) Muse

6) Arcade Fire