Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/16/2016 at 4:37 PM, Zac Quinn said:

Her publishing company sent her a whole bunch of unsigned people, and they became friends. Then years later, after he'd become huge on his own merit, she was in financial trouble so he offered to help her out by sticking a song on the deluxe edition of an album and Thinking Out Loud came out of nowhere when they'd met up to sort it out. It's hardly the same as a major label being given a talent show winner they are contractually obliged to push and, in wanting to make someone with no talent look slightly respectable, deciding to give said talent show winner an unwarranted co-write on something that was in fact written by someone they'd never met or had any kind of relationship with :rolleyes:

I read that he heard her playing the song and decided to co write it with her (which I assume was adding lyrics to her tune) while the being mates/financial trouble stuff seems like it was just added in hindsight to appeal to his teenage fanbase. Most pop acts these days need help writing their big hits but I'm not sure having them as headliners is a right path for the festival to go down as again their success are more about finding right co-writers/producers then artistic merit. 

16 hours ago, king_oxymoron said:

the stretching people are doing to say Ed Sheeran isn't worthy of headlining is laughable. I completely understand why he wouldn't be people's cup of tea or they might feel it's too soon. But to try to discredit his musicianship or ability to write is simply foolish. 

Sorry, I just asked whether he's a credible headliner when he needs help writing songs and the main response seems to be nobody cares which is fair enough I suppose.     

4 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Sorry, I just asked whether he's a credible headliner when he needs help writing songs and the main response seems to be nobody cares which is fair enough I suppose.     

Suggesting he "needs help" to write songs dismisses that he probably actually wants to work with other people. You'll be hard pushed to find headliners that don't have their output guided to some extent by songwriters and producers and stuff. And nor should they, as the majority of artists respect what others in their field do and like to collaborate.

If Sheeran was some chancer that goes on holiday while other people write all his songs then you'd have an argument but you're acknowledging that he writes his songs so I mean you haven't a leg to stand on really.

22 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Nobody writes all their own songs, the biggest artists in history have all co written or used others songs, personally I couldn't give a monkeys who writes the songs, if a band or singer is worth seeing, then the are worth seeing.

for me I'd rather see a good singer and performer singing someone else's songs than a tuneless mumbler grunting their way through their own stuff, unfortunately the latter seem to get more plaudits.

1 hour ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Have the fleetwood mac been 100% ruled out for this year ?

Given that 1) FM are currently recording a new album and last time I heard Stevie Nicks wasn't (yet) involved, 2) it doesn't look like they're touring anytime soon and 3) Stevie Nicks is going out on a solo tour which stretches at least until July 9th when she's in Hyde Park, I'd say it's highly unlikely. That said, I guess we could get a solo SN set, should that be of interest.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:32 PM, dentalplan said:

Suggesting he "needs help" to write songs dismisses that he probably actually wants to work with other people. You'll be hard pushed to find headliners that don't have their output guided to some extent by songwriters and producers and stuff.

Yeah good point, maybe he likes writing with other songwriters but apart from Adele, Beyonce and Florence I can't think of many recent headliners who operate in the same way (although it's definitely getting to be more common for major label artists). It just takes away too much of the authenticity for me but given how successful those acts are I'm probably in the minority.    

3 hours ago, play it cool said:

Given that 1) FM are currently recording a new album and last time I heard Stevie Nicks wasn't (yet) involved, 2) it doesn't look like they're touring anytime soon and 3) Stevie Nicks is going out on a solo tour which stretches at least until July 9th when she's in Hyde Park, I'd say it's highly unlikely. That said, I guess we could get a solo SN set, should that be of interest.

1.) Stevie hadn't done her vocals in September, no-one knows if she has done them yet or not.

2.) Christine specifically said that they're planning a world tour for this summer.

3.) Stevie's tour goes until April 6th. After that she only has one single date, which is the Hyde Park one in July.

the tour probably won't start until later in the Summer given that Stevie has that solo gig, but I certainly wouldn't say they're ruled out at all. the album will presumably be finished and quite probably released by the end of June.

having said that, it's almost certainly Ed and Foos, so it's really a moot point...