Headliner predictions 2017

swede

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

I love the fact you can't even keep to your own desires when it comes to talking about R.E.M.

"Stop talking about them - except for this great point I want to make!"

Stop highlighting my inconsistencies, that's Mrs Quark's job! :lol:

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

I always find it surprising that less is (seems to be?) made of their IRS years material.  Got that best of album quite early on in my musical lifetime (pre-Monster I think) and that shaped my love of them more than a lot of the Warner Bros years.

Most people would regard it as being a lot better, if not the only albums actually worth bothering with.

(though personally I think that's maybe a little strong)

I can't think of any other band who could better than run of albums all the way from Murmur to Automatic. All 4**** albums or above, easily. Their latter career stuff still has it's great moments. After the not-so-great Around the Sun tour they also went back to being a great, stomping live band. Check out '39 Songs' for a great mix of old and new rocked out.

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

I can't think of any other band who could better than run of albums all the way from Murmur to Automatic. All 4**** albums or above, easily. Their latter career stuff still has it's great moments. After the not-so-great Around the Sun tour they also went back to being a great, stomping live band. Check out '39 Songs' for a great mix of old and new rocked out.

Hmmm...it was generally when REM were trying to be a stomping rock band that they came a cropper.

losing my religion for me , it would be a dream for me for them to play again , I was rather too drunk to remember the last time they played  and was last seen being sprayed down by a girl in the days of the high power welly washing taps ( have they now gone ? ), one of my ultimate bands , stop this talk I rarely frequent this thread !!

19 hours ago, play it cool said:

They're part of the set of 'stadium acts' that have down-sized from your Wembley/Millennium Stadiums to the more modest 'Championship' stadiums. See also Reg, Rod, Stereophonics, Ed Sheeran in a few years etc.

Stereophonics were relegated to our non league ground last summer.

This summer, we're hosting UB40 and Olly Murs. Oh boy!

did anyone catch Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3 in 2013? i think they played that 70's themed stage? well, 3 of the REM touring band was in his band, w/ Peter Buck, plus Scott Mccaughey (guitar/keyboards) and Bill Reiflin (drums), so you had 3 of the 5 who were on stage on the pyramid back on friday night 2003 right there.

I didn't catch Hitchcock then but saw him a few months prior w/ same band. Peter Buck actually opened up the evening as well (to be honest, that's why i went) and Mike Mills joined in (i think i've told this one on E-Fests before but we all recycle tales on here don't we....) as a surprise guest later on, a bit of a REM mini-reunion...as that was 2013 i'm guessing that might have been last time at least 2 of the big 3 played together, unless i've missed something more recent.

9 minutes ago, mooro said:

Foos, Sat night I'm hearing now.

Ed for the village friendly Sunday night spot then.

Radiohead, The XX 

Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga

Ed Sheeran, Elbow

Other:

Pet Shop Boys

Bon Iver

The Prodigy

Would be my new guess. Oh how I love guessing.

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Radiohead, The XX 

Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga

Ed Sheeran, Elbow

Other:

Pet Shop Boys

Bon Iver

The Prodigy

If that's how it is, then PSB are much more likely for Sunday, surely not going to go up against Radiohead. I think you swap PSB with The Prodigy. But Elbow I disagree with and if they subbed it's to RH let's be honest.

36 minutes ago, sisco said:

Radiohead, The XX 

Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga

Ed Sheeran, Elbow

Other:

Pet Shop Boys

Bon Iver

The Prodigy

I'd probably agree with this. Maybe not Elbow subbing Ed but I do think it will be Prodigy on the Sunday. PSB against RH might not happen but I think its more likely to just not be PSB and be someone completey different.