Headliner predictions 2017

swede

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Rhianna would be fucking dreadful. The Pyramid headliner is a stadium act remember, one that can theoretically connect to the back of an 80k crowd. 

Give this a listen. She wouldn't even get away with it first on in Bez's Flying Bus.

I'm sorry to anyone on here who likes Drake or Rihanna but this is complete shite. Can't believe how poor this is considering they are two of the world's biggest pop stars.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Richi1988 said:

If they can book Kanye I'm pretty sure they could book Rihanna.

Dont get me wrong it would probably go down like a lead balloon but at least it would be a different direction to the 'safe' bookings everybody whinges about. 

It's catch 22, the Eavis' will never be able to please everybody ;)

at least Kanye actually sings his songs live.

most Rihanna clips i've seen she spends more time dancing and walking around with a backing track/singers doing the actual vocals.

48 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I think Rihanna went out of the potential headliner spot when she had to cancel some of her stadium gigs on her tour this summer. No longer has the same appeal.

Yep. And it's not like she was cancelling second dates in venues either, she literally didn't have the sales to justify visiting Sunderland and Cardiff for even one night 

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

at least Kanye actually sings his songs live.

most Rihanna clips i've seen she spends more time dancing and walking around with a backing track/singers doing the actual vocals.

9 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Why? They aren't particularly similar 

I don't disagree with either of your comments and I'm most certainly NOT petitioning Rihanna as somebody I want.

The point I was trying to make (but clearly failed) was that those sort of acts are a long way away from the usual demographic that gets announced as a Glasto headliner.

11 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Probably the best description of him I have heard. Couple all that with a face you want to slap.

I will get rinsed by people I know who wont be at the festival.

- "How gutted will you be having to watch Ed Sheeran?!"

- "Ill be off my face to the sounds of the Flaming Lips, gutted is not my plan. You'll be at home watching young Edward on the TV. Unlucky"

Have we discussed this story about the mad #bants of Ed and Princess Beatrice and James Blunt? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/27/princess-beatrice-slices-ed-sheerans-face-ceremonial-sword-attempting/

Really bizarre stuff, sounds like the absolutely worst party ever though, even if Ed Sheeran did nearly get decapitated with sword (although that would've scuppered by bet winnings).

4 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

I'm sorry to anyone on here who likes Drake or Rihanna but this is complete shite. Can't believe how poor this is considering they are two of the world's biggest pop stars.

I like some of Drake's music but you're not going to get many of his fans defending this performance. It was dire. By most accounts Drake is horrible live on the best of days.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Rhianna would be fucking dreadful. The Pyramid headliner is a stadium act remember, one that can theoretically connect to the back of an 80k crowd. 

I had the misfortune of seeing Rhianna at Pukkelpop. Dreadful. 50 Minutes late coming on stage, disinterested, barely sang live, zero connection with the audience beyond the "super fans" in the front few rows. Without doubt one of the worst acts I've seen at a festival (and I've seen Macklemore and Ryan Lewis)

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Just wondering, do we place more clout on the festival than the artists do?  I'm assuming that the Eavii aren't always 100% open about who they've approached and have subsequently been turned down by.

Is it beyond the realms of feasibility that they've tried to get the likes of Madge, Rihanna etc, but they've just not wanted to play Glastonbury? Whether it be money or just the idea of playing in a muddy field to an historically guitar band based festival?

I think in our minds any act that gets approached will automatically jump at the chance, but not convinced that's actually the case. Pretty sure that Springsteen had to be convinced for example.

Not sure if clout is any reason to headline 

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Give this a listen. She wouldn't even get away with it first on in Bez's Flying Bus.

Takes me back to the The Great eFests Brits SlagOffaThon 2016. 

Heady days. 

Fucking appalling performance. 

"A-shuggashuggaBRRRWRRRRWRRRWRRR, a-muggawugga-abrrrr-Shurrrrr-szzzzurrrr-Schzzzurrrrrrr"

40 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Is Rihanna as still super massive as she was about 3/5 years ago? I know she could headline V Fest easily but I don't listen to Radio 1 anymore.

She's a bit poor live from what I've seen on the TV/youtube.

Nah she's over. She put out a couple of albums in 2011 and 2012 which were a bit of a flop by her standards, albeit they didn't do so badly that she couldn't have come back from them. But then she went away for too long and came back with a new record with no hits on it, and botched the launch of it even then, so what could have been a blip now looks like terminal decline

Edited by Zac Quinn

3 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yep. And it's not like she was cancelling second dates in venues either, she literally didn't have the sales to justify visiting Sunderland and Cardiff for even one night 

Wasn't just Sunderland, she struggled with all venues 

This is Wembley And compare it to the Sunderland concert in 2013 

1F0563D4-7A42-4317-91BE-014886E9DEC8-445-0000005BDAEA2662_tmp.png

6605B9B2-4A7A-44B6-8EC0-541F1EA2FCD6-445-0000005C3D07CB78_tmp.png

45BDC2E3-54E6-4E09-84DA-9085D63E8847-445-0000005C7CFDB8CA_tmp.png

8 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Wasn't just Sunderland, she struggled with all venues 

This is Wembley And compare it to the Sunderland concert in 2013 

1F0563D4-7A42-4317-91BE-014886E9DEC8-445-0000005BDAEA2662_tmp.png

6605B9B2-4A7A-44B6-8EC0-541F1EA2FCD6-445-0000005C3D07CB78_tmp.png

45BDC2E3-54E6-4E09-84DA-9085D63E8847-445-0000005C7CFDB8CA_tmp.png

yep. If the album launch hadn't been a mess those dates would maybe have done okay but once everything went tits up she should have showed a bit of humility and downgraded to arenas, really 

Still, if it spares us a big popstar ever trying to launch an album exclusively on Tidal again, the death of Rihanna's career is a sacrifice we should be willing to make.

Edited by Zac Quinn

What i find interesting about Rihanna is that she went from singer who released one song I vaguely remember but can't name to massive super star off just one song Umbrella (which afaik other huge female artists turned down). She could have released music of her own farts at the time & it would have still sold in the millions.

7 minutes ago, Bisque said:

What i find interesting about Rihanna is that she went from singer who released one song I vaguely remember but can't name to massive super star off just one song Umbrella (which afaik other huge female artists turned down). She could have released music of her own farts at the time & it would have still sold in the millions.

Please don't mention that U song.  That was in 2007 and it is possibly/probably the reason for all the r*** that summer.

23 hours ago, rpfranks said:

True to an extent, I'm a promoter and it's my risk to pay a guarantee to a band regardless of sales. This can sometimes rise though as it's generally a rule to include a percentage rate in case it sells really well. So for example the guarantee would be £x vs 80% which means the artist is guaranteed £x, but if 80% of all profit is higher than the guarantee, they get that instead.

Promoters have to make an offer to the agent which is either accepted or countered - generally the agent will decide what fee they think the band is worth as it is in their best interests to get as high a fee as possible as they take 15-20% of every fee.

For the bigger shows and tours the fee is generally set by the agent - Adele for example her tour is ran by one of the big hitters like SJM who just give Adele 80% of income after all costs rather than dealing with promoters directly, that's where it gets corrupt though.

Excellent explanation, much better than my poor attempt :)
Charm x

12 hours ago, Bisque said:

Being mates with Jay Z (who was at the time president of Def Jam) helped. It wasn't quite that extreme though - like Pon De Replay, Unfaithful and SOS were all pretty big hits by normal standards, which laid the groundwork for Umbrella to take her stratospheric. Her first two albums had both sold millions before Umbrella was ever a thing