Headliner predictions 2017

swede

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Foo Fighters have played the UK so extensively though. Does the fact they are first timers for Glastonbury really mean anything? As far as the general public is concerned, it's the same old rock band playing a big show in the UK. Just as they have done hundreds of times before. 

I'm all for first timers headlining, but for me that means first timers that haven't played big shows in this country for 20 years. Otherwise it just feels like a giant act ticking off festivals.

Same could be said for The Stones and U2 really. I'm not for one second comparing The Foos to Mick and the boys by the way! 

What I meant was I'd rather have someone different than Coldplay for the 5th time, even if they are as well established as The Foo's. 

If it were down the me though the festival would "make someone a headliner" each year, regardless of gender. Give a band a push to the next level. I think Foals could have been that band last year for instance. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which females could headline Glastonbury and who is currently touring?

Taylor Swift and Madonna are currently not in a touring cycle so would not be available to the festival. 

Lady gaga has went downhill in the last few years and the festival rightly so would not want to take a risk on her headlining but also knowing she would be a very strong sub. 

Rihanna is probably not the type of act Glastonbury would look to book

If you look and up and coming female acts the likes of Cvurches are probably the closest in popularity but I think the festival would have lots of confused ticket holders if chvurches were booked to headline.

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Foo Fighters have played the UK so extensively though. Does the fact they are first timers for Glastonbury really mean anything? As far as the general public is concerned, it's the same old rock band playing a big show in the UK. Just as they have done hundreds of times before. 

Same for Radiohead. Playing every festival under the sun. Nothing special. 

Just wondering, do we place more clout on the festival than the artists do?  I'm assuming that the Eavii aren't always 100% open about who they've approached and have subsequently been turned down by.

Is it beyond the realms of feasibility that they've tried to get the likes of Madge, Rihanna etc, but they've just not wanted to play Glastonbury? Whether it be money or just the idea of playing in a muddy field to an historically guitar band based festival?

I think in our minds any act that gets approached will automatically jump at the chance, but not convinced that's actually the case. Pretty sure that Springsteen had to be convinced for example.

There was an article posted back in September 15 after an interview with M.Eavis saying he had the next two years of headliners booked which included 4 that have headlined before and 2 new ones.

So with Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead being return headliners and Adele being a first timer. Surely this would rule out one of FF and Ed Sheeran as neither have headlined before? 

I suppose the other, just as likely scenario is Eavis was just blowing smoke.

Just now, Quark said:

Just wondering, do we place more clout on the festival than the artists do?  I'm assuming that the Eavii aren't always 100% open about who they've approached and have subsequently been turned down by.

Are you suggesting that a bunch of weirdos on the internet that talk about a specific 5 days in June throughout the year see the festival as more important and relevant than people, indeed often foreigners who will not have had the same cultural upbringing, who can get paid more for doing the same thing somewhere else do? Nonsense.

1 minute ago, Untz said:

Are you suggesting that a bunch of weirdos on the internet that talk about a specific 5 days in June throughout the year see the festival as more important and relevant than people, indeed often foreigners who will not have had the same cultural upbringing, who can get paid more for doing the same thing somewhere else do? Nonsense.

Sorry Untz, read my post back and realised what nonsense I was spouting.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only for a year. 

The guaranteed sell out would be far from certain the year after they decided to go with a headlining trio of - say, Angel Olsen, Julia Holter and Lady Leshurr.

I agree, but (assuming the rumours she's playing are true) would gaga, and 2 from sheeran/foo fighters/radiohead have broken the festival? No. 

As usualy they've shit their knickers and gone for the safest of options. Which is absolutely fine, it's their livelihoods on the line not mine, but it does make their grand statements about promoting women ring hollow. 

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Is it beyond the realms of feasibility that they've tried to get the likes of Madge, Rihanna etc, but they've just not wanted to play Glastonbury? Whether it be money or just the idea of playing in a muddy field to an historically guitar band based festival?

I think in our minds any act that gets approached will automatically jump at the chance, but not convinced that's actually the case. Pretty sure that Springsteen had to be convinced for example.

Rhianna has headlined T so I doubt she'd be too phased by Glastonbury. Given how much Madge charges for regular tickets I'd guess GF have asked the question and been priced out.

What doesn't help is that the biggest female artists are, by and large, pop stars, which is a notoriously fickle genre with a short shelf life. There are a few who enjoy long term success - Bey, Madge, Adele - but so many of them burn intensely for a couple of years before fading away (Gaga, Rhianna). In this very thread people were saying that Gaga and Rhianna would be poor headliner bookings, it's very tough to predict when these acts will be at their peak, nobody wants a headliner on the way down.

50 minutes ago, jparx said:

She should have headlined instead of the Dave and the lads, in the process sending out a strong message about the future direction of the festival. Ultimately, it just demonstrates your point that their promotion of female acts is largely a token effort and dependent on whether someone as popular as Adele is ready to headline. 

I agree except actually she should have been down to headline instead of The Who. At least the Foos were a new booking, they had to scramble around and cancel other gigs to get The Who to play another set. As Florence had been announced they could have seamlessly put her in when Prince (allegedly) pulled out. 

Edited by strummer77

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Yeah, surely having 3 female headliners but ghardly any elsewhere would be worse than the ampunt there were the last couple of years and none headlining.

pyramid headliners are where the big statements are made though

And anyway, as the nal says above, all the rumours seem to be pointing to the top slots elsewhere going to male acts too. Bon Iver, fleet foxes, flaming lips (please!) etc

Edited by russycarps

Haven't exactly got a tally chart but since the issue about women in rock bands came up about two years ago or something I've noticed much heavier female representation in rock breaking through, so I feel as if the industry are working on it somewhat from the ground up. Eyes might be fixed on the top spots but there's likely to be a sea of change underneath.

Its not impossible to have gender balance for a line up. End of the road this year had 2 female headliners and 50/50 gender balance elsewhere.

Saying that, the financial and size differences make it a lot harder for glasto to do the same with their main stage headliners. There are more limited numbers of female acts who could fit that stage, and once say beyonce, taylor swift or rhianna say no, you are a bit stuck.

However, gender balance wise, they do a lot better than similar size festivals on the bill as a whole. And i feel Emily  is sincere in trying to address it

3 hours ago, swillis89 said:

He's been doing little bits and pieces for a few weeks now. Not officially 'back' yet though, by all accounts.

also, that Bieber cover can go. Gross.

3 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Which females could headline Glastonbury and who is currently touring?

Taylor Swift and Madonna are currently not in a touring cycle so would not be available to the festival. 

Lady gaga has went downhill in the last few years and the festival rightly so would not want to take a risk on her headlining but also knowing she would be a very strong sub. 

Rihanna is probably not the type of act Glastonbury would look to book

If you look and up and coming female acts the likes of Cvurches are probably the closest in popularity but I think the festival would have lots of confused ticket holders if chvurches were booked to headline.

If they can book Kanye I'm pretty sure they could book Rihanna.

Dont get me wrong it would probably go down like a lead balloon but at least it would be a different direction to the 'safe' bookings everybody whinges about. 

It's catch 22, the Eavis' will never be able to please everybody ;)

1 minute ago, Richi1988 said:

If they can book Kanye I'm pretty sure they could book Rihanna.

Dont get me wrong it would probably go down like a lead balloon but at least it would be a different direction to the 'safe' bookings everybody whinges about. 

It's catch 22, the Eavis' will never be able to please everybody ;)

I don't know if the potential issue with Rihanna would be more about her past misdemeanours of being a touch inebriated and/or dialing in performances that would count against her as a headline booking.  Wouldn't see her myself as I was unfortunate enough to catch her during that period and she was bloody dire, but all for it as a "name" booking.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't know if the potential issue with Rihanna would be more about her past misdemeanours of being a touch inebriated and/or dialing in performances that would count against her as a headline booking.  Wouldn't see her myself as I was unfortunate enough to catch her during that period and she was bloody dire, but all for it as a "name" booking.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea either but would at least offer something different to the merry go round of headliners that surface every few years. 

I personally thing Glasto should do 2 'safe' bands every year and one to either promote a band to superstardom or just a complete left field choice. It's probably the only fest in the world that could do it without worrying about future sales.

Hell it'd probably be given its own slot name as per the legends spot ect.