Headliner predictions 2017

swede

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

He'd just released Angels and Let Me Entertain You and was playing as part of the tour of an album which sold by the bucketload, I'm no great Robbie fan but it seems unlikely the crowd were there more for Tricky than him???

29 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

The first bit may be wrong 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

He'd just released Angels and Let Me Entertain You and was playing as part of the tour of an album which sold by the bucketload, I'm no great Robbie fan but it seems unlikely the crowd were there more for Tricky than him???

Are you his biographer or something?

Contain your anger and harmonise.

2 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

That massive crowd was only there waiting for Tricky if memory correct. He was off his head that night.

The first bit may be wrong 

I can assure you that isn't right. Robbie drew one of the largest crowds of that era of Glastonburys and for an afternoon slot would only be beaten even with today's capacity on a Sunday. Robbie was at the time the Take That boy who'd walked out to hang around with the Gallaghers and get drunk and that day the whole of Glastonbury seemed strangely drawn to the field to see what he would do! 

He smashed it and that day his career went orbital

1 hour ago, cortezuk said:

I can assure you that isn't right. Robbie drew one of the largest crowds of that era of Glastonburys and for an afternoon slot would only be beaten even with today's capacity on a Sunday. Robbie was at the time the Take That boy who'd walked out to hang around with the Gallaghers and get drunk and that day the whole of Glastonbury seemed strangely drawn to the field to see what he would do! 

He smashed it and that day his career went orbital

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was clearly mistaken.

All that said, it's hard not to look at any performance as an unqualified success. Crowds always want what they're watching to be good and will actively participate to make sure it is, even if it's not. That video above is a case in point. Williams' voice wasn't good to the extent he kept giving up and getting the audience to sing, and they did so with relish because they want to have a good time. But that audience microphone-pointing bollocks has a short shelf-life and it doesn't take long before it's obvious the audience is doing the work and the artist is shit.

He did make it work that day, though. Somehow. I remember thinking 'I've Been Expecting You' was a pretty good album, for what it was. But I can't state that with any certainty because I was working at HMV at the time, who were playing it relentlessly in the run up to Christmas that year. Maybe I thought it was good because he'd beaten me down with sheer repetition.

28 minutes ago, kalifire said:

All that said, it's hard not to look at any performance as an unqualified success. Crowds always want what they're watching to be good and will actively participate to make sure it is, even if it's not. That video above is a case in point. Williams' voice wasn't good to the extent he kept giving up and getting the audience to sing, and they did so with relish because they want to have a good time. But that audience microphone-pointing bollocks has a short shelf-life and it doesn't take long before it's obvious the audience is doing the work and the artist is shit.

He did make it work that day, though. Somehow. I remember thinking 'I've Been Expecting You' was a pretty good album, for what it was. But I can't state that with any certainty because I was working at HMV at the time, who were playing it relentlessly in the run up to Christmas that year. Maybe I thought it was good because he'd beaten me down with sheer repetition.

It's also easy to excuse a terrible performance if it's an artist you really like or is cool to like, a certain female headliner from a few years ago was guilty of not doing much actual singing, leaving that to her backing singers she seemed quite content to jiggle her way through her set occasionally yelling 'hello glastonberry', despite this she gets huge plaudits and demands that she returns. Now it may have come across very well live, but on TV it was pretty awful.

as for mr Williams, plenty of bands/artists have ropey voices but the cool ones are excused and the uncool derided for it, horses for courses. He had his time, no need for him to return.

Say what you will about Mr Williams, but there is no denying he is a great performer who can hold a crowds attention. Saw both him and oasis at knebworth and his was by far the more enjoyable. Maybe because I'm female and of a certain age..but I would be up for a Robbie set...as long as he leaves that swing shit out.

hes an ageing popstar who only makes a reappearance when ye olde piggy bank is getting a bit low, that and the fact he was one of those responsable for launching the boyband thing with the hellspawn known as take that mean hes on my `id rather eat off a growler off of a longdrop then see him/her/it/them live` list.

Edited by waterfalls212434

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I was working at HMV at the time, who were playing it relentlessly in the run up to Christmas that year. Maybe I thought it was good because he'd beaten me down with sheer repetition.

Oh god, same.  I could probably sing the whole album from end to end, despite not having heard it for about 16 years.  

And I sold a tonne of those albums to the same people who'd been buying Morning Glory.

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Williams - he had the X Factor that tax dodging Barry Garlow & the rest of take that didn't have on their own.

I like the tune Strong, otherwise he is just a bit meh.

Of late 90's early 2000's pop acts - I'd rsther Pink play. Just like a pill is a "banger" as the kids say.

Pinks on my Glasto wish list.

11 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I know this isn't going to contribute to the conversation, and i apologise in advance for the language, but i just want it on record that can't fucking stand Robbie  Williams.  

Not even sure why but this made me burst out laughing :lol:

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If they're laying on the sort of sw*nk facilities that "justify" those sort of prices, then it looks like it could well be an omen in the direction of the bloke in your avatar and the lads.

Seems its the same bullshit yeah

http://www.axs.com/uk/events/326625/phil-collins-tickets/promopage/6000?skin=bst

Diamond View. A lot of money to pay for what is essentially a pit pass and a bar.