Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

but thank god they left headlining until next year ey - the kind of shows they were doing back then would've had people pouring out of the Pyramid field

Yeah well I couldn't see a thing, which didn't help. Didn't know for sure it was them til Thom said "we're called Radiohead".

Ironically the only time I actually saw Radiohead that weekend was during Pulp the next day. They were walking off in the direction of the tipis during Common People. Thom fell over in the mud on the hill. I'm not making this up.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If it freed up one of the headline slots for someone even halfway listenable, then yup.

well, if they've booked her as headliner they've dropped a bollock by not hearing the new album beforehand and booking her on rep alone. :P

Normally bookers can have a VERY early listen to what's going to be released, so that sort of thing shouldn't really happen.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well, if they've booked her as headliner they've dropped a bollock by not hearing the new album beforehand and booking her on rep alone. :P

Normally bookers can have a VERY early listen to what's going to be released, so that sort of thing shouldn't really happen.

they wouldn't even have to have heard her new album - her last one was a good enough indicator that her time at the top was up

I think gaga could actually have a semi-enjoyable setlist. 

Judas

Scheibe

Heavy Metal Lover
Edge of Glory
Telephone
Poker Face
Just Dance
Lovegame
Do what you want
Gypsy
Fashion
MJH
Hey Girl
Perfect Illusion

and end on:

Marry The Night

Born This Way

I mean its descent. I could watch it if there wasnt anything else incredible on

3 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

I think gaga could actually have a semi-enjoyable setlist. 

Judas

Scheibe

Heavy Metal Lover
Edge of Glory
Telephone
Poker Face
Just Dance
Lovegame
Do what you want
Gypsy
Fashion
MJH
Hey Girl
Perfect Illusion

and end on:

Marry The Night

Born This Way

I mean its descent. I could watch it if there wasnt anything else incredible on

Alejandro? Paparazzi? BAD ROMANCE??? 

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

So people thought Florence should have been a headliner (I know she was in the end) but don't think the women whose playing the Super Bowl should be?!!

Florence was/is on the up and up, whereas Gaga peaked on her first album and has had diminishing returns since. she could headline, but really it should've happened a few years ago now and would seem a tad week in 2017

Florence is a totally different situation to Lady Gaga. As FF said, Gaga is past her peak and Florence was a young, rising British superstar. The festival doesn't have much of a history of signing has been American pop stars as headliners. They do, however, have a history of giving the opportunity to exciting young British talents.

Edited by jparx

18 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Its strange that pop acts have a far shorter relevancy shelf life than indie/rock/guitar based bands.

I'd say Gaga is worthy of a headline slot - but all the noises being made by her make me think she wont be headlining.

Really? Cuz it's mostly things from her that's making me think she will. The quote from the NME that has been picked up by other news outlets: "Glaaaastonbury! I don't have permission to say anything about that" sort of makes it sound like she's keeping a big secret.. Like a headline slot. Maybe I'm reading too much into a very short quote.

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Literally 3 of her best tunes. The last two being absolute pop-perfection in my opinion.

she does have a great catalogue of bangers behind her - unfortunately almost all of them came from her first album and the following mini album. really did seem like she was gonna take on the world for a bit there in 2009

4 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Really? Cuz it's mostly things from her that's making me think she will. The quote from the NME that has been picked up by other news outlets: "Glaaaastonbury! I don't have permission to say anything about that" sort of makes it sound like she's keeping a big secret.. Like a headline slot. Maybe I'm reading too much into a very short quote.

I don't think she would be so insinuative if she was headlining. Its too over the top - it feels like she doesnt think she needs to keep it that quiet because its not a top of the bill slot. 

I am probably talking completely out of my arse though.

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I don't think she would be so insinuative if she was headlining. Its too over the top - it feels like she doesnt think she needs to keep it that quiet because its not a top of the bill slot. 

I am probably talking completely out of my arse though.

yeah, I dunno how strict the festival is with artists about keeping quiet. It sort of seems like they're not arsed, and it's mainly down to the artist's wishes if things are held back. I might be wrong. But I know a few headliners have let things slip before, prior to the official announcement. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Florence was/is on the up and up, whereas Gaga peaked on her first album and has had diminishing returns since. she could headline, but really it should've happened a few years ago now and would seem a tad week in 2017

Yet she will still be playing the Super Bowl HT show which is absolutely massive!  She could very easily headline especially if the other 2 did turn out to be Radiohead and FF