Headliner predictions 2017

swede

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i duno, a high profile act being at the festival the previous year is usually a good indicator of them being in talks to headline the following year, but i still think/hope she'll be a sub, and moreso i'm starting to think it'll be to a huge headliner on the Sunday (Foo Fighters, U2, Fleetwood Mac, whoever they've booked) rather than Sheeran

I think it's Sheeran and then FF/FM for the final spot.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KOL aren't gonna headline. if there was some way to throw all of my money on that bet i'd take it in a heartbeat. such a shit non-booking it doesn't even bare thinking about

if Gaga is headlining then surely that means that Sheeran isn't and there's still a big bucks headliner on the table as those two topping the bill the same year just looks piss poor from every angle, regardless of Sheeran being as huge as he is. can't see one of the two remaining headliners not being a big ol' rock band of some kind

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We know that Adele agreed to headline 2016 whilst there in 2015, i.e. long before 25 came out.

Gaga being there this year pre-Joanne has a wee bit of a similar feel to it.

Obviously radically different outcomes in terms of album sales, though.

aye obviously nobody could pre-empt just how much of a non-entity this new album of hers could be, but after the failure of Artpop it surely wasn't worth punting on it being a huge huge career defining success either. does feel awfully similar though

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Any reason why we're moving away from the idea of Sheeran? I'd rather Ed than KoL. I wouldn't see either, but the idea of someone as utterly shite and as bland a booking as KoL is much more egregious than Eddie boy.

i still think it's gonna be him, but now there being something hinting at/linking Gaga to it and there having been nothing on Sheeran since The Sun posted their bit i can see why people would be more swayed towards her instead (if we believe they'd only book one pop headliner, which i do)

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

KOL aren't gonna headline. if there was some way to throw all of my money on that bet i'd take it in a heartbeat. such a shit non-booking it doesn't even bare thinking about

if Gaga is headlining then surely that means that Sheeran isn't and there's still a big bucks headliner on the table as those two topping the bill the same year just looks piss poor from every angle, regardless of Sheeran being as huge as he is. can't see one of the two remaining headliners not being a big ol' rock band of some kind

aye obviously nobody could pre-empt just how much of a non-entity this new album of hers could be, but after the failure of Artpop it surely wasn't worth punting on it being a huge huge career defining success either. does feel awfully similar though

We already have a big ol' rock band of some kind.

Gaga being there this year doesn't mean anything to her headlining or in relation to Adele. Adele was without doubt a headliner and as strong as she has ever been. Gaga's new album isn't actually on course to be number 1 even this week.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Likewise Ed Sheeran is a "proper musician" ie he plays a guitar.....for the folk who care about that sort of thing.

yeah he definitely tickets that box, although his music never really goes above 5 unless he's going all out pop so i don't think anybody would ever argue for him being anything other than a pop act. maybe this is a total non issue and people don't give a shit as much as i think, but i imagine there'd be a lot of loud voices if the fairly low-key Radiohead are the closest anybody's gonna get to their big rock anthems headliner next year

4 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Ed and Gaga both headlining is tragic. Not even Radiohead can redeem that. I refuse to believe that that'll be the big finish before the break...

Take me back to a time when lurking on this forum was basically annual Prince and Bowie rumours

Please.

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Any reason why we can't have Beyonce instead of Ed? Would make for a much more rounded set of headliners.

her having already done it this decade maybe? i'm all for Beyonce returning as a headliner, and it's a shame it didn't happen when she had these two albums behind her, but when you've got a headliner like Sheeran literally waiting in the wings it wouldn't make much sense to rebook Beyonce instead*

* cue 'but Muse and Coldplay every four years' etc etc