Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like how we're considering if bands are big enough. This is how we've ended up with bands that have all been going 20+ years headlining (or even 50 years). When Radiohead first headline it was off the back of their 3rd album and people complained they weren't big enough but the pulled it off. Pulp were similar in the 90s. Right band that summed up the music of that period.

Would be nice if they gave some more current bands a chance, then they might get another moment like those Pulp and Radiohead gigs.

And for every Radiohead and Pulp there was a Stereophonics and a Travis.

Besides, music is consumed in different ways now and fanbases are fragmented like never before, but I think most people would look at Ed Sheeran as someone current and sufficiently popular who probably deserves his first crack at it.

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To add further jeopardy to an already precarious situation, B-Clyzzle have announced that they want to do it.

Sources cannot confirm whether or not they had shirts on when they made the request.

The Eavii have told Biffy they can only headline if they promise to keep their shirts on all set.

Biffy cannot do that. They will not be kept in your cotton prison.

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's utterly meaningless in terms of most festivals, never mind at Glastonbury - one band always has to play last.

I think it can work when it's a rock/indie band followed by a DJ/dance type act. Like Arcade Fire and M83 at NOS Alive. If it's just two similar acts back to back then yeah I agree, meaningless.

37 minutes ago, Pilgrim S said:

I don't like how we're considering if bands are big enough. This is how we've ended up with bands that have all been going 20+ years headlining (or even 50 years). When Radiohead first headline it was off the back of their 3rd album and people complained they weren't big enough but the pulled it off. Pulp were similar in the 90s. Right band that summed up the music of that period.

Would be nice if they gave some more current bands a chance, then they might get another moment like those Pulp and Radiohead gigs.

Agree with this. Especially after seeing Florence smash it last year.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was that an example of a co-headliner, or was it M83 going on after the headliner had finished due to a later curfew?

I've been to Nos Alive for the past 3 years and I'm pretty sure at no point were they billed as co-headliners.

Happens quite a lot a European festivals where the headliner will play then a dance act will follow, usually because the stages go on so late and it's the type of music most people want when they're battered at 1am.

3 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

I've been to Nos Alive for the past 3 years and I'm pretty sure at no point were they billed as co-headliners.

Happens quite a lot a European festivals where the headliner will play then a dance act will follow, usually because the stages go on so late and it's the type of music most people want when they're battered at 1am.

Pixies and Chem Bros were, I believe. That's more the sort of thing than the Arcade Fire and M83 one I guess. It's like what Isle of Wight have had the last couple of years too.

Happens at Rock Am Ring every year. Year I was there RATM were last on the main stage. Finished at 11.30ish. Motorhead started on the 2nd stage at midnight followed by The Prodigy at 2am. 

My ears are still sore.

Some lineup that year actually thinking back. 08. Rage, Metallica, QOTSA, Prodigy, Motorhead, Eagles of Death Metal, Cavalera Conspiracy, Serj Tankia.

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Pixies and Chem Bros were, I believe. That's more the sort of thing than the Arcade Fire and M83 one I guess. It's like what Isle of Wight have had the last couple of years too.

You're absolutely correct there, I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all, just that M83 weren't co-headliners.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was that an example of a co-headliner, or was it M83 going on after the headliner had finished due to a later curfew?

I think the latter. 

I understand what you're getting at, but I still think it could work if you had something like Foo Fighters and Calvin Harris co-headlining. Not at Glastonbury though...please not at Glastonbury! That's just as an example, not a suggestion or prediction :P

I don't think it will happen at Glastonbury unless they get in a pickle with their headliners. Festivals rarely have a co-headline deal when it's something huge like Rolling Stones and Guns n Roses. It's usually two pants acts put together to make one giant pants headliner.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's utterly meaningless in terms of most festivals, never mind at Glastonbury - one band always has to play last.

Not if they play at the same time. Whether that's in a silent disco 2 channel headphones system or a loud complicated mess I don't know, I'd probably go out of curiosity either way.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah - it happened at Benicassim the one time I went there.  Brandon Block (or similar) played after The Strokes were done.

There were quite a few bands on after the headliners at Beni. I remember that chap from the Rakes joking at wayyyyyy gone 2am about how the were 'closing the festival'. 

That year shall forever be known as 'The Festival At Which Morrissey Looked Genuinely Happy'. Totally undermined my assertions to people there who hadn't seen him live that he was a breath of fresh miserable air. 

Can't see Glastonbury going down the co-headliner route, they don't need to and I don't see why it would ever benefit them to. This thread is testament to the amount of speculation that surrounds the three Glastonbury headliners, it's a national institution. Only festivals struggling to shift tickets mess about with co headliner nonsense.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

25 minutes ago, Woffy said:

There were quite a few bands on after the headliners at Beni. I remember that chap from the Rakes joking at wayyyyyy gone 2am about how the were 'closing the festival'. 

That year shall forever be known as 'The Festival At Which Morrissey Looked Genuinely Happy'. Totally undermined my assertions to people there who hadn't seen him live that he was a breath of fresh miserable air. 

I was at that one too. Remember Pixies being ace.

3 hours ago, mufcok said:

You've seen a picture of Noel sat next to an amp with a guitar on instagram and you think that nails on a new album? OK..

Yeah you're right he probably isn't making a new album....

Hint: Read the caption at the bottom

Edited by Madyaker