Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just do not get the fuss over gaga. To me shes just another clone like manufactured pop star, the fact she relys so much on drastic look and image changes to get attention shows how little her music stands on its own doesnt it? Dont get me wrong shes not terrible as pop stars go but other then whacky outfits I dont see anything and I certainly dont hear anything worthy of a second listen above any other random pop star

Edited by waterfalls212434

15 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

I just do not get the fuss over gaga. To me shes just another clone like manufactured pop star, the fact she relys so much on drastic look and image changes to get attention shows how little her music stands on its own doesnt it? Dont get me wrong shes not terrible as pop stars go but other then whacky outfits I dont see anything and I certainly dont hear anything worthy of a second listen above any other random pop star

Yeah, I heard David Bowie had to rely on changing his image too as his music wasn't good enough to stand up by itself.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Yeah, I heard David Bowie had to rely on changing his image too as his music wasn't good enough to stand up by itself.

your comparing lady gaga to bowie? fuck me now ive heard everything! Oh and the difference is bowies music certainly was good and unique enough to stand up for itself.

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

your comparing lady gaga to bowie? fuck me now ive heard everything! Oh and the difference is bowies music certainly was good and unique enough to stand up for itself.

No, I'm saying your reasoning for Lady Gaga's music not being good enough to stand alone was poor and Bowie was an example to back that up.

Fair enough if you don't like her music but I don't think that reasoning holds much weight.

6 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

You're wrong. She is terrible.

It is an odd one, though.  

She's still one of the most famous people on the planet and 4 or 5 years ago it would have been a coup to get her - but the timing here doesn't favour a Gaga headline slot. 

If she's been booked for a while, then I guess there was no way for them to know that Joanne would only barely outsell Laughing Len's new one....but it was obviously a possibility.

Or she's maybe subbing, in which case its still a coup.

If Gaga subs, Ill be there for that. Enough hits for me to know. If she headlines, Im sure there will be someone I'd prefer to see at that time.

Gaga is definitely more preferable to me than Edward and/or the Foo Fighters. 

Foo Fighters just bore me a bit. If they came out, did Everlong and Monkey Wrench - thats all I'm interested in to be honest.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

some lad on glasto chat is saying he was fucking plastering eavis's house and he told him the remaining headliners are Gaga and Oasis

second I read Oasis I knew he was chatting bollocks

it should have been the second you read "glasto chat".

biggest collection of fucking idiots i've ever seen, which is quite an achievement on facebook...

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

some lad on glasto chat is saying he was fucking plastering eavis's house and he told him the remaining headliners are Gaga and Oasis

second I read Oasis I knew he was chatting bollocks

You should have known as soon as he said he was plastering Eavis's house.

Cos a house only a few years old isn't going to need plastering. :P

15 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If Gaga subs, Ill be there for that. Enough hits for me to know. If she headlines, Im sure there will be someone I'd prefer to see at that time.

Gaga is definitely more preferable to me than Edward and/or the Foo Fighters. 

Foo Fighters just bore me a bit. If they came out, did Everlong and Monkey Wrench - thats all I'm interested in to be honest.

Completely agree with all of this, although there's possibly one or two more Foos songs I'd give a go. Would actually love to see Everlong as it happens. Which will probably be impossible given an inevitable clash. Proper teenage nostalgia for me though!

All this has just reminded me, I have a mate who's well placed to know about any Oasis stuff (he told me about Liam's solo album ages ago) and he was saying something or other about an Oasis reunion the other day. I wasn't really listening though cos I don't give a shit.

Gaga sales flash: fourth-day sales (Monday) were a shade over 2,100. Leonard Cohen, behind her in the charts, is currently outpacing her sales rate. She should be home and dry in third, but as I appear to have overestimated that drop off, I'm reverting my predictions to 27,000 off the current trend (I think she'll receive a tracking boost of a thousand extra with Carpool Karaoke).

I fully expect Joanne will pick up additional sales, possibly even matching these first week ones, as we roll into late November and the Christmas rush. But this could fail to go Gold within four weeks, which would have been unthinkable for the Gaga of old.

Well, times change. On another note, it looks like Biffy Clyro will go Gold with Ellipsis sooner than expected, to say it had a drop off. It may have no hit singles, but 100k plus sales will go someway to securing them a headline spot on the circuit next year (I never understood the need to give them co-headline with Fall Out Boy, but I always heard the rumour that the reformed GNR had bailed and left a decent pay packet behind, one that could afford two bands. Who knows!)

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Gaga sales flash: fourth-day sales (Monday) were a shade over 2,100. Leonard Cohen, behind her in the charts, is currently outpacing her sales rate. She should be home and dry in third, but as I appear to have overestimated that drop off, I'm reverting my predictions to 27,000 off the current trend (I think she'll receive a tracking boost of a thousand extra with Carpool Karaoke).

I fully expect Joanne will pick up additional sales, possibly even matching these first week ones, as we roll into late November and the Christmas rush. But this could fail to go Gold within four weeks, which would have been unthinkable for the Gaga of old.

Well, times change. On another note, it looks like Biffy Clyro will go Gold with Ellipsis sooner than expected, to say it had a drop off. It may have no hit singles, but 100k plus sales will go someway to securing them a headline spot on the circuit next year (I never understood the need to give them co-headline with Fall Out Boy, but I always heard the rumour that the reformed GNR had bailed and left a decent pay packet behind, one that could afford two bands. Who knows!)

Ellipsis is being sold for buttons though, you've been able to pick it up for a couple of quid on didgital sites such as Google Play for weeks and Amazon/HMV have been selling the vinyl for a tenner for a while now.

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

(I never understood the need to give them co-headline with Fall Out Boy, but I always heard the rumour that the reformed GNR had bailed and left a decent pay packet behind, one that could afford two bands. Who knows!)

the rumour I heard - no idea if it's true, tho I've decent reason to think it is - is that Radiohead were lined-up to do R/L this year, but then pulled out at the very last moment (just about contract signing day).

Everything I heard about GnR for this summer was that they very definitely were not coming this side of the pond, so I have a bit of difficulty believing they were the act that pulled out.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The biggest question around any Oasis comeback would be who would be on drums? Oasis drummers are like Doctor Who, regularly changing yet every generation will have their own favourite who they'll claim was the definitive and best...

Just get Starkey on skins - there is none better

Edited by 5co77ie