Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Sheerhan aside I'm liking the early list of front runners, if either of Radiohead or Stone Roses make it on to the Pyramid I'll be happy. RH seem more viable given their relationship with the festival. I'm not entirely convinced of the Roses motivation to play given that they already have a stadium tour in the books. 

Not sure Guns will do it, I think Download are booking them if my sources are good and fairly sure that would have to be UK exclusive.

13 hours ago, eastynh said:

The Cures last album got to number 33 in the UK, in 2009. The last 2 Depeche Mode albums in this country have got to no 2 (2009,2013) added to that Depeche have had 13 top ten UK albums on the bounce and the last 8 have been top 10 hits in the USA. The Cure get nowhere near that. The only similarity in regards to the 2 bands is that they have been going for a long time. The Cure have already played Glastonbury, Depeche Mode never have. Depeche Mode are still making records that are fairing very well in the charts around the world.

In regards to the other poster who commented on them being New Orders level. Depeche Mode are far bigger

In the Live arena in the UK you can easily compare them in terms of their ability to sell gig tickets and fill arenas. The Cure's arena tour sold out instantly. Yes they've played G before but not for decades.

appreciate your points about more recent albums though. Still don't think it will happen for DM. They / their agent would only take pyramid headline and they wont be offered that slot for reasons discussed. The cycle will continue like this and therefore they could well never play.

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154147655844032&substory_index=0&id=16100944031

System of a down? Maybe other stage rather then pyramid and maybe not headliner but would be a good shout for something a little more lively on the bill 

They could very well be Other Stage fodder, now that festival has opened its doors to rock.

4 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

They could very well be Other Stage fodder, now that festival has opened its doors to rock.

I'd love it if System played the Other stage.

All this talk of Daft Punk is getting me excited. Ideally we'd have Justice playing just before them. That way I could pop to Croissant Nuef, have a crepe from La Grande Bouffe and then go and see Justice followed by Daft Punk. 

13 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154147655844032&substory_index=0&id=16100944031

System of a down? Maybe other stage rather then pyramid and maybe not headliner but would be a good shout for something a little more lively on the bill 

definitely gonna headline Download rather than do something like Glastonbury

9 minutes ago, across97 said:

The new article on here suggests Daft Punk, Radiohead and Roses. Are people still siding with Sheeran over Daft Punk?

Neil has info on it being Daft Punk for the Friday, but i think the more realistic (at this moment in time) trio is definitely still Radiohead, Sheeran, Roses

What was the supposed date this Alive2017 info was going to drop, I have October 27th in my head for some reason?

I'd give anything for it to be right but I just can't see it. After that 'special guest' incident a few years back at Arcadia when it turned out to be Chase n Status I've always tried to keep my hopes down 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Agreed they seem more of a Download band but a lot of their songs are very political and would fit in well with the ethos of Glastonbury. Plus they've never done Glastonbury before and if they are opening the doors to more rock then I personally think System would be ideal as they appeal to a wide range of people. Who doesn't know Sugar or Toxicity?

Maybe I'm just saying this because I really like System of a Down.

Just now, mufcok said:

What was the supposed date this Alive2017 info was going to drop, I have October 27th in my head for some reason?

I'd give anything for it to be right but I just can't see it. After that 'special guest' incident a few years back at Arcadia when it turned out to be Chase n Status I've always tried to keep my hopes down 

aye 27th is the supposed date that some kind of counter is leading up to on the site, but i suspect it'll lead to nothing and prove to be a load of bollocks

28 minutes ago, ryan.wills said:

Pyramid:

Stone Roses  --- Daft Punk --- Radiohead         

Noel G           Lady Gaga         The XX

Richard A

Other:

Bon Iver ------ Kraftwerk ----- ?????????

The National

I've been thinking Noel could sub Roses as well but I have to say I'm not well up on that. I know he's a huge fan, but would he accept a slot before Roses? Didn't he say he had no interest in Glastonbury unless he headlined, or could this be an exception? 

I don't think headlining Download outright rules them out of Glastonbury. They could headline the Other stage opposite Ed Sheeran. I don't think it's especially likely but I wouldn't rule them out completely. Their heavy political message definitely fits the Glastonbury ethos and they have a broader appeal than most similar bands. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

announced a hiatus at the end of last year and i believe a booker for a European festival has said they're not touring in 2017 so can probably be counted out. maybe they'll be re-booked after the fallow year but who knows?

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Common thinking is that even if they're off hiatus by next year's festival they'll only be making an album at that point so most likely won't be back touring until late 2017 or early 2018. It's possible they could do a 'Greatest Hits' tour without putting out an album first, which would see them right in the mix, but they definitely aren't a leading contender :(

Cheers lads, that's put my mind at rest.

Is it general consensus that Glastonbury headliners are usually touring when they headline the festival?  Has there been headliners that have just done the one off set just to headline the festival in a particular year?

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Common thinking is that even if they're off hiatus by next year's festival they'll only be making an album at that point so most likely won't be back touring until late 2017 or early 2018. It's possible they could do a 'Greatest Hits' tour without putting out an album first, which would see them right in the mix, but they definitely aren't a leading contender :(

To add to this, can't remember which Foo is in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes but they're touring Europe next summer. Got a show at Nova Rock the weekend before Glastonbury so there's also that.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

To add to this, can't remember which Foo is in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes but they're touring Europe next summer. Got a show at Nova Rock the weekend before Glastonbury so there's also that.

Chris Shiflett, but he doesn't play live with them (they clashed at R&L 2012). Though I guess that may be different when Foos aren't active.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Neil has info on it being Daft Punk for the Friday, but i think the more realistic (at this moment in time) trio is definitely still Radiohead, Sheeran, Roses

Friday or Sunday for Download over here then. Heading other stage on Friday night opposite RH....that would be amazing!

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Nailed on for Download by the looks of those dates and festivals

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Me first are an amazing group! would love to see them play G but pretty much no chance I don't think.

I'd be happy with the Stone Roses and Radiohead, I'm not a 'super' fan of either but I could go along and enjoy the brilliance of what I was watching, their both bands I think fit with the festival well. It may also give me a chance to see something away from the Pyramid given I spent every night their this year, admittedly I don't remember seeing Muse though so that doesn't count!